Goal difference

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:10 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:This may shock some of you, but the sole reason we are conceding more goals is because we're defending higher up the pitch.

Remarkable or what!?! :O

JC is not so much out of form, as struggling to adapt to the higher defensive line. Same with Finnan at the start of the season, IMO.
Sami and JC are probably the slowest CB pairing in the league, so both prefer to defend deep, which is why we had a brilliant record last season when we did just that.

But then the "We aren't exciting/scoring enough - sack Rafa" brigade turned up, and through the constant sniping, got what they wanted.

I'm going to start a "plastic fans f*ck off" chant and hope THAT comes true.
:)

Group: LFC Premium Members
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we are going to sort the defence out I think we have to go back to playing a deeper defensive line, as we did up untill the end of march last year. I know we did well with the higher line at the end of last season but we did start to conceed more goals.

This will also have the added advantage of allowing Alonso more room when bringing the ball out and may get him playing to his best again.

Drop Pennant play Gerrard on the right and play Aurelio on the left. This will enable us to play much more effectively when defending.

Once we have a solid platform we can then bring on wingers second half if we need to open the game up.

Why play Bellamy, who's best work is in the channels if you are going to use wingers? All that does is fill the space that he needs if he is to produce his best.

Most important of all get the team fighting for every ball and looking like they have some team spirit again!
              --------------------------------
I wrote this in October after the Bolton game about the high defensive line we are playing.

As for the team you picked Lando, drop Pennant move Gerrard RM and play Garcia as second striker and its a winner!
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby AussieKopite » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:This may shock some of you, but the sole reason we are conceding more goals is because we're defending higher up the pitch.

That's a really good point, the OT isn't working as well as it did last season either...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:55 am

Hey A.B. didn't you and Stu used to argue about carragher. I tought you used to say JC was world class and stu would argue he was top class. Or am i confusing you with 7-kewell?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:26 am

I think u can only really defend high up the pitch if u have pace at the back.  Pace allows you to recover from mistakes.  With us as soon as or CB's are turned they are struggling as they are not the quickest.
puroresu

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:57 am

i honestly think its time to give youth a chance, young players bring something to the team that players like zenden can never bring, a hunger to impress

paul anderson instead of pennant
peltier in centre mid (ahead of zenden)
and agger
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:54 am

LittleHobo wrote:i honestly think its time to give youth a chance, young players bring something to the team that players like zenden can never bring, a hunger to impress

paul anderson instead of pennant
peltier in centre mid (ahead of zenden)
and agger

get your coat lad.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:57 am

sometimes in football you need to have the guts to make decisions that most people wouldnt agree with

when man utd won the title with kids is one example

young players have a certain hunger that at the moment our team lacks
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Something like this, with the wingers knuckling down, is how I personally see Rafa's team:

Reina

Finnan           JC             Sami           Riise

Alonso                    Sissoko
Pennant                                                              Kewell
                                     Gerrard

Kuyt.

i love the look of that team... though if you are only playing kuyt as a lone striker, defences will trying and man-mark him, with the other centre-back watching gerrard. So kewell and pennant will would not only have to 'knuckle-down', but also chip in with goals.

pennant has scored 11 goals in 160 appearances and only 3 in his last 90 appearences

wingers in that formation have to be a real goal threat which can also draw an extra defender out and create more room for stevie/kuyt
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion