Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby made in UK » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Up until a month or so I ago I think Johnson had been one of our better performers. His form has dipped and recently it has looked as though he's 'switched off' at the back, kind of Skertel-esk, ball watching style. Yet while many allow players like Kuyt the grace that his form has dipped because the team has been out of sorts I think we can honestly say the same about Johnson. Before we signed him we knew he was never the best defensive fullback but one IMO that is still capable.

As for it being a 'good thing' having Johnson out, well I don't think so personally. There is no point in thinking like that because it is a short term fix bringing in whomever else and hoping we tighten up at the back. No, I think we need to amalgermate Johnson into the defence more and continue with him. It may mean looking at alternatives at CB to accomodate his "bombing forward" but so be it, Carra isn't getting any younger and looks a shadow of his former self. Rafa needs to be on the look out for a replacement, its a shame we didn't sign that fella who went to Sunderland (can't think of his name, Turner maybe?) but he's what we need. A true blue CB!

Many on here be-moan the fact Johnson does "bomb on" so much, but ask yourself this, 'would it be neccesary for him to "bomb on" so much had he not a teamate infront of him who could actually do something with the ball'? Kuyt has been carried this season and has looked invisible at RM, Pacheco came on the other night and exhibited what a RM should be doing. Johnson would therefore be allowed to concerntrate on his defensive game and pick the right opportunities to get forward. There is too much of an onus on Johnson to get forward because of the Dutchman infront of him.

There are a few things that need to change around Johnson for him to furfill his maximum potential, but having an 18M player side lined and hoping its for the better isn't what we ought to be thinking about. Thats not productive, looking at a CB and maybe someone like Rodriguez whos been reported as a potential target is the way to go about amending this issue.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 am

It would be interesting to see what Johnson would be like if we played him in Dirk Kuyts position as a winger because he is very good taken people on, It's almost as if he is cut out to be a winger at times.
roberto green

Postby made in UK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 am

roberto green wrote:It would be interesting to see what Johnson would be like if we played him in Dirk Kuyts position as a winger because he is very good taken people on, It's almost as if he is cut out to be a winger at times.

It would be interesting to see what Kuyt would be like if we played him in Glen Johnson's position as a fullback because he is very good at jockying, It's almost as if he is cut out to be a fullback at times.

wha d' ya reckon handsome?
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:30 am

made in UK wrote:
roberto green wrote:It would be interesting to see what Johnson would be like if we played him in Dirk Kuyts position as a winger because he is very good taken people on, It's almost as if he is cut out to be a winger at times.

It would be interesting to see what Kuyt would be like if we played him in Glen Johnson's position as a fullback because he is very good at jockying, It's almost as if he is cut out to be a fullback at times.

wha d' ya reckon handsome?

:D

I am begining to regret putting that picture up now.

Back to your question, yeah that would be a good idea.

:blush:  :blush:
roberto green

Postby metalhead » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 am

So all the goals we conceded this season is definetly has something to do with Glen Johnson eh?  ???

Are you guys for real? He has been one of our best players this season, even when we had a shyte game, he always turned up. I'm actually devestated that he is injured, and its not a good thing that he will be out for a while. Would you prefer that horrible player Skrtel to play right back?

He is a decent defender, and HE CAN DEFEND, so he has one bad game and he turns out to be cr@p  :glare:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:07 am

I don't see how out 1st choice RB being injured is a good thing, especially as we don't have anyone decent to fill in.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:47 am

bavlondon wrote:I don't see how out 1st choice RB being injured is a good thing, especially as we don't have anyone decent to fill in.

Not to mention that he is one of the best RB's in the Freaking World!!!  Everyone knew his game before he came in, he's an attacking RB, his defensive partners need to compensate for that.  They haven't.  As for now, well it's either blood in a young player or play Degen and then turn him into a profit in the summer.  If Degen were to play say 6 straight prem matches we'd see one of two things, either he is a player who we would like off the bench, or he's fit for the scrap pile, (like many think)either way, he came on a free, so it's not something to get in a twist over.

I think Johnson has been great so far, however I think he has sort of diminished Kuyt's role, I think we may see a bit of a resurgence in the dutchman's contributions while Johnson is injured.

By the Way. I in no way think Johnson being injured is a good thing.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:04 am

LittleHobo wrote:Johnson bombs forward all the time leaving too much space at the back for carragher to cover....and our two centre backs are too slow to cover up 2 very attacking fulll backs

lets hope we either sign a more solid right back and either move johnson to right mid or get rid.....at a right back hes truely a pointless signing

With johnson out i garantee we will see more clean sheets in the coming weeks (just dont replace him with degen)

I'll be as blunt and to the point as possible here...

what a complete load of f*cking sh*te.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:58 am

Glen Johnson

With : P21 W12 D2 L7 F35 A21 (GPGF 1.67, GPGA 1.00, Clean Sheets 10)
Without : P7 W1 D2 L4 F9 A13 (GPGF 1.29, GPGA 1.86, Clean Sheets 0)

Johnson missed the following games :

Lyon (h) L1-2
Arsenal (a) L1-2 : League Cup
Fulham (a) L1-3
Lyon (a) D1-1
Man City (h) D2-2
Fiorentina (h) L1-2
Wigan (h) W2-1

Hardly supporting the theory we're better off without, we've not kept a clean sheet when Johnson hasn't played and won only one in seven. Of course with three times as many games played with Johnson in the side it does favour that to have more easy games and better runs. Torres only missed the Citeh draw, defeat to Arsenal and the home defeat to Lyon of the above listed. While a goal a game against is not good, before this season we conceded 0.84 goals per game but scored only 1.70 compared with 1.57 for and 1.21 against this season

So is it Johnson's fault we're conceding goals? I thought Agger might be a key factor, Johnson bombing forward doesn't help but we're hardly defensively secure when he doesn't play - partly no doubt because of playing a non-RB in his place with no adequate cover. But we've shipped goals with Agger in the side as well

Daniel Agger 09/10

With : P15 W6 D4 L5 F18 A15 (GPGF 1.20, GPGA 1.00, Clean Sheets 6)
Without : P13 W7 D0 L6 F26 A19 (GPGF 2.00, GPGA 1.46, Clean Sheets 4)

I think the real key factors are Alonso's sale leaving us without a controlling influence in midfield, and a collective as well as individual inability to defend. Sure Johnson has tucked away an og and a few goals may be directly attributed to his defending (or lack thereof), but we've had all kinds of sloppy marking from corners, two CBs going for the same ball, players not marked by INSUA (not Johnson) etc. So there are individual mistakes as well as collective ones.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Snake » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I miss Sami Hyppia :'(
I do not think Johnson was that bad this season, in fact, without him some of our goals and wins wouldn't have come. When I saw his debut against Stoke City with the over-head goal and the constant threat to the opposition I knew this guy will take us to the top.
I don't think we can really blame our lack of clean sheets on one player (I'd love to blame Kyrgiakos though :P), but rather on players not performing well and playing out of position at some games. Rafa played a couple of games where he went with a 3-5-2 and that certainly messes up the players.

Aquilani is still a bit too slow for the premier league, Lucas isn't inventive, Kuyt is just an extra man on the pitch, Torres is 1 man marked by 3 defenders the whole time, Gerrard is running out of tricks, Carragher doesn't trust Skrtel that's why he leaves his position to mop up after him, Aurelio is lacking pace when it comes to counter attacks and the left wing is dead with Riera's constant injuries. Ngog holds on to the ball too long. Put all that in 1 pot and you've got yourself a champions league early exit.
Snake

Postby shawnk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 pm

GJ has provided one of the best attack from the right flank this season, better than anyone of our right winger has contributed so far. With our very defensive minded side, it's not a problem at all for him to move forward, we always have Masch to cover his position. We conceded most of our goals from set piece and we have almost 10 of our players defended set pieces so it's everyone fault we conceded goals this season. Blaming GJ is just not right.
shawnk

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
LittleHobo wrote:Johnson bombs forward all the time leaving too much space at the back for carragher to cover....and our two centre backs are too slow to cover up 2 very attacking fulll backs

lets hope we either sign a more solid right back and either move johnson to right mid or get rid.....at a right back hes truely a pointless signing

With johnson out i garantee we will see more clean sheets in the coming weeks (just dont replace him with degen)

ER, I tried to be a bit more subtle on the first post/page...but I don't think yer man got the message.....some people are just not well in the head.....maybe too much ale over the Crimbo....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Emerald Red wrote:

i'll 2nd that
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:41 pm

Ok, Johnson being out is good... but don't replace him with Degen who is clearly worse than him and even more in attack.Then who the hell should replace Johnson?Darby?Kelly(Who is not bad, but is still young and injured)?Yes, maybu Johnson has cost us some goals, but also won us some goals, but then again that's not his role in the game.But I dont know how can an injured first team player be a good thing not to mention that we dont have anyone better to replace him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:12 pm

I just red something about signing that Greek guy Torosidis.I think he's a right full back too.Havent seen much of him but he might be a good replacment for Johnson.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion