Glen johnson out........a good thing? i think so

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm

bigmick wrote:I think Johnson is an excellent player. I think he is underrated defensively, and a monster offensively. He is currently playing in an average team based on our performances this season, and any impact he is making going forward is off his own back as he can't rely on any incisive passing from midfield, and he has Kuyt running around a lot in front of him. the opposition can concentrate all their efforts on preventing Johnson from getting around the back, beating the full back, cutting inside and having a shot etc because he is playing with Dirk in the form Dirk is currently in. When the team plays better and more coherently, Johnson will improve again IMHO. We will miss him while he's gone and I hope he gets fit soon.

Sorry Mick but you've completely lost me there.

any impact he is making going forward is off his own back as he can't rely on any incisive passing from midfield

I guess the key to my confusion revolves around either your's or  Rafa's "game plan".

Are we to accept that the plan is, the midfield stays relatively static, while Kuyt "runs around a lot" in front of Johnson distracting the oppo and giving him (Johnson) the opportunity to get forward ready to receive the "incisive" pass from midfield ? .

If thats the case Johnson IMO still isn't good enough. Infact I'd go so far to say that I'd rather see us play with a defensively minded RB and stick Johnson at RM, at least there he won't set off any alarm bells.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Has johnson been at fault for many defensive errors that have led to goals this season ? Remember others being at fault but not many from johnson .
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:50 pm

Woof I've resolved to discuss the manager less if at all so I'll leave others to pontificate on game plans. What i meant really was that with the Lucas/Masherano axis, it's unlikely anyones going to be pinging it 40 yards into a full tilt Johnson anytime soon. imagine if he did actually have a visionary midfielder able to set him free, IMHO he'd be a much better player. Equally, I think that Dirks woeful run of form has meant that the opposition are pretty much only wary of him when it comes to the ricochet department (which admittedly he is World Class at), which means they can concentrate 100% of their efforts on stopping Johnson.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:33 pm

Johnson is a very good player and like Benny the Noon said he has probably been our best performer when fit this season. Its good to see our RB bomb forward because its an area we've been lacking in for a number of years now and it gives us more offensive options. Thats not to say that neither Finnan nor Arbeloa were good fullbacks IMO they were and I think defensively they were better than Johnson.

Johnson's addition into the team has changed the dynamics of our system where the back four were a rigid disciplined unit thus we did not concede too many goals, Johnson's style of play has changed that system and it means we have to find the right balance to compensate, i.e Johnson knowing when to bomb on and therefore not going too cavalier with his play. In saying this though I think Rafa bought him exactly for the reason to ensure we are able to break the likes of Hull, Bolton and Birmingham at home where stubborn defences and draws cost us last season. And although he isn't your typical Steve Finnan defensively he isn't the concern or focal point as to why we've been conceding goals this season. I don't know the stats but from open play and where Johnson is concerned I don't think his position in the side has hampered us from a defensive viewpoint. The main concern of course is our ability or lack of this season to defend from set-pieces which reminds me of the days when we were a very soft touch defensively in the air when Roy Evan's was manager. Houllier's first job in tightening that flaw up was to sign both Henchoz and Hyypia and from there on we never looked back defending the high ball. Its no coincedence that 10 years later and without the aerial dominance of Hyypia especially and Henchoz that we've become a worringly soft touch again in the air.

We need a CB who is strong in the air ala Hyypia, not a modern day CB who can bring the ball out IMO, defenders like Carra, Hyypia and Terry are exactly that defenders first footballers second and that is something we've missed. This probably magnifies and questions Johnson's position in the team which IMO is a tad unfair.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 pm

I think thats why skrtel was bought and while he started off well lately or ever since his injury he has dropped right off the boil
Benny The Noon

Postby made in UK » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:I think thats why skrtel was bought and while he started off well lately or ever since his injury he has dropped right off the boil

Yeah I'd agree with that, but unfortunately the bloke does not reassure me he's our answer to the void Hyypia left.

Its a bl.oody hard task trying to replace a CB like Hyypia.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Very hard mate - thought he would do well when he first arrived but that injury just seems to have knocked him back miles and would like to see him replaced - think turner owuld of been perfect but maybe someone like shawcross ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 pm

made in UK wrote:I think Rafa bought him exactly for the reason to ensure we are able to break the likes of Hull, Bolton and Birmingham at home where stubborn defences and draws cost us last season. And although he isn't your typical Steve Finnan defensively he isn't the concern or focal point as to why we've been conceding goals this season.

:nod

Someone posted up an news article with a few comments from Rafa the other day (forget where) and he was quoted as saying that he wanted the fullbacks to provide much of the width in attack and that Johnson, while an expensive signing as a fullback, was still cheaper than splashing out for a top winger.  Some, no doubt, will criticize Rafa for these tactics but the point is that Johnson is supposed to get forward--our system requires it.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby roberto green » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:43 pm

made in UK wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:I think thats why skrtel was bought and while he started off well lately or ever since his injury he has dropped right off the boil

Yeah I'd agree with that, but unfortunately the bloke does not reassure me he's our answer to the void Hyypia left.

Its a bl.oody hard task trying to replace a CB like Hyypia.

I think with how our defence has been this year if we would of had Hyypia he would of been playing to steady the boat with his experience and areil power.

Oh Sami Sami Sami Sami Sami Hyypia

:bowdown
roberto green

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
made in UK wrote:I think Rafa bought him exactly for the reason to ensure we are able to break the likes of Hull, Bolton and Birmingham at home where stubborn defences and draws cost us last season. And although he isn't your typical Steve Finnan defensively he isn't the concern or focal point as to why we've been conceding goals this season.

:nod

Someone posted up an news article with a few comments from Rafa the other day (forget where) and he was quoted as saying that he wanted the fullbacks to provide much of the width in attack and that Johnson, while an expensive signing as a fullback, was still cheaper than splashing out for a top winger.  Some, no doubt, will criticize Rafa for these tactics but the point is that Johnson is supposed to get forward--our system requires it.

Kuyt isnt good at connecting with the fullback and down the left Isua and Aurelio are both average going forward...

Atm i think Johnson is the only player who offers any sort of width to the side and i think the fact that Riera hasnt been available so far has just added to the pressure on him to provide in quantity and quality down the flank.. Hes performed admirably at the beginning stages and i think his quality is there for all to see, but imo we obviously need a better right winger in front of him give him that bit of extra space to work with when he comes forward... With Riera back i think we'll look much much better in wide positions ..

About our defense, i think we obviously need a dominant CB to play alongside Carra..
That said, i think that despite all that was said about our CBs and Johnsons questionable defending and all that,  our main problem is in central midfield.. We cant control the midfield against most sides and we end up either getting caught out of positions because of our lack of attacking quality and options OR we end up conceding silly setpieces that we AS A TEAM obviously have a problem defending..

Once everything is settled and players like Aquilani, Riera and Johnson are back to playing at their best, i think we'll see a major improvement in our defensive record despite having pretty much the same back 4 ....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Fauxy wrote:
muzza798 wrote:Carra has had a poor season, Insua cant defend, Johnson cant defend and Lucas cant defend

I will agree that Carra has had a poor season.. but Johnson, Lucas and Insua can definetly defend.

I feel Carra's best days might just be behind him now. As for Johnson not the best defensively but ok and makes up for it with his attacking ability. Insua is too slow and Lucas well he is a mixed bag of a lot of things which don't add up to a lot. To answer the question though Johnson will be a big miss.
loopyliverpool

Postby LittleHobo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:03 am

ahem ahem

1 goal conceded in 6 prem games

is my point proven? i was slated aswell for the idea that johnson being out could be a good thing
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 am

LittleHobo wrote:ahem ahem

is my point proven? i was slated aswell for the idea that johnson being out could be a good thing

Jimmy The Greek is the reason not Johno being out.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:12 am

LittleHobo wrote:ahem ahem

:Oo:
shawnk

Postby leep33 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:24 am

Johnson has been a huge miss, the sooner he is back the better then we can get carra back in the middle with agger.
leep33

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion