Getting the consistency right...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Okay but what about mentality, Stu?  Do players with natural talent go off the boil because they're psychology toward the game changes?  I personally haven't seen enough of Anelka to comment but I know quite a few who think he hasn't done much since his loan spell with us because he doesn't have the proper mentality anymore (ie. he's become merely a skilled journeyman who can't be ar.sed mentally turning up every week).  Where does that enter the equation?

Thank you Bob, this would be one of my only concerns about signing Anelka. " he's become merely  a skilled journeyman who cant be ars.ed turning up every week"  That would be my major doubt.
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:07 am

Turned into a really good thread this. Wonder who started it?  :oops:  :D

Looking at the majority of the posts in this thread I guess the assumption is we need a striker who can take us to the next level and hopefully close the gap on United. Topics on Tevez, Eto'o, Torres, Owen (YAWN), Bent and many others show this.

I have no doubts that a top striker would improve the team, adding some more class to the front line. If nothing more a top striker could give the opposition someone to fear, giving time and space for the other striker and players.

But for me last season our strikers did their job really as a collective unit. They were just as clynical as Man U's strikers for instance:-

Liverpool Strikers

Bellamy – 23 Starts, 7 Goals
Crouch – 19 Starts, 9 Goals
Fowler – 6 Starts, 3 Goals
Kuyt – 27 Starts, 11 Goals

Total – 30 Goals

Manchester United Strikers

Rooney – 33 Starts, 14 Goals
Saha – 18 Starts, 8 Goals
Smith – 6 Starts, 0 Goals
Solskjaer – 9 Starts, 5 Goals

Total – 27 Goals

Yes our strikers missed some chances, however I don't think they missed anymore than the other top teams. For me the biggest area where we need to improve is in our midfield. Too many games last season we did not look like scoring or creating chances for the strikers. The Everton game at home, we probably controlled the game but Stubbs and Yobo had an easy game and we created very little. The Man City away game last season we again had possession, but couldn't do anything with this possession. Aston Villa away where we were dreaful and couldn't even pass the ball, let alone create any chances. There were too many example unfortunately.

At times our midfield lacked movement, creation and general spark. Man U won the league because their whole team contributed to their performances. Goals came from their defense, strikers and most of all the midfield. They had a midfield full of player who could make and score goals. Their midfielders were also willing to get in the oppositions box.

Without Garcia (and Kewell to some extent) we only had Gerrard who looked like scoring from midfield. Gerrard was also the only player from midfield who would get into the oppositions box. By contrast Man U would fill the oppositions box with Giggs, Ronaldo and Scholes bursting from midfield.

Benitez likes two defensive minded player in the centre, which is fine. Howver it means Alonso, Mascherano and Sissoko aren't going to score many goals or contribute in this way to the team. It also means our strikers and wide players have to score more to make up for their lack of goals:-

Liverpool Midfielders

Alonso - 29 Starts, 3 Goals
Garcia – 11 Starts, 3 Goals
Gerrard – 35 Starts, 7 Goals
Gonzalez – 14 Starts, 1 Goal
Kewell – 0 Starts, 0 Goals
Mascherano – 10 Starts, 0 Goals
Pennant – 20 Starts, 1 Goal
Zenden – 9 Starts, 0 Goals

Total – 15 goals

Manchester United Midfielders

Carrick – 29 Starts, 3 Goals
Fletcher – 16 Starts, 3 Goals
Giggs, 25 Starts, 4 Goals
Richardson – 8 Starts, 1 Goal
Ronaldo – 31 Starts, 15 Goals
Scholes – 29 Starts, 6 Goals
Park – 8 Starts, 5 Goals

Total – 37

That's a huge difference and one key area where our team needs to improve next season. The return of Kewell (if he stays fit) and Garcia should help with this. I also think Gerrard should score more and a good rest this summer, as he has played football nearly non stop for more than two years.

But for me, some more creation and goals in our midfield would be just as valuable as a top striker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:25 am

While I agree we need more goals and creativity from our midfield, I disagree with your evaluation of our strike force compared to the mancs. Ronaldo also played striker for the latter part of the season for the mancs, hence the discrepancies over games started by strikers Liverpool 75 - Mancs 66 you quote.

The difference for me is that as an attacking unit the mancs played with conviction, confidence and a willingness to throw players forward when necessary. We played to contain and hopefully snatch a goal while not conceeding. Our supporting players rarely entered the opposition box (at times our strikers as well) and seemed content to hit long range shots. We dominated most games for 2/3rds of the pitch but in the final 1/3 we were poor.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:45 am

United are just way more flexible than us Saint. Where as we are very rigid in our formations, Ferguson just lets his players off the leash and lets them express themselves more than Rafa ever will.

I mean for the last few months of the season they were essentially playing without a centre forward. They had Rooney, Giggs, Scholes and Ronaldo as a front four who just kept constantly changing positions and generally going wherever they wanted. When was the last time you ever saw any of our wide players change flanks?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:00 pm

stmichael wrote:Turned into a really good thread this. Wonder who started it?  :oops:  :D

:D  Probably some fella on RAWK ?  ???    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:24 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
stmichael wrote:Turned into a really good thread this. Wonder who started it?  :oops:  :D

:D  Probably some fella on RAWK ?  ???    :D

:D  :D
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:26 pm

stmichael wrote:When was the last time you ever saw any of our wide players change flanks?

Sometime around October, when Pennant and Gonzales swapped flanks a few times over the course of a few matches.  It failed abysmally and they sensibly went back to where they belonged.  It's one thing having the likes of Ronaldo and Giggs switching flanks.  Hell, even Garcia and Kewell could pull it off.  But Pennant?  No thanks.

Out of interest, we could stand to see Chelsea's goal stats.  I know the Mancs won the league and are those the yardstick for success but our style is much closer to Chelsea's than it is to Man U's (and it's not as though Chelsea haven't made the well-drilled 1-0 work for them).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Rafa has to have a rethink about our style of play and bring in some more inventive players and Quaresma would seem to fit the bill. We need to be much more adventurous away from home and go after teams more, our home form is right up there with United and Chelsea but its on our travels where the gulf in points is evident.

The whole Simao affair has left quite a few people frustrated with the notion of going after him again, still I'm not sure if its the player or Benfica that have messed us around in the past.

Like the idea of Simao and Quaresma both coming in...some real creativity and pace on the wings to complement the quality we have in the middle of the park. Can't see us challenging for the title with Pennant and Kewell as first choice on the flanks so I'm sure Rafa has something up his sleeve. Keen on Benayoun coming in as well but only as a squad player.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:52 am

passmeistro_#14 wrote:Rafa has to have a rethink about our style of play and bring in some more inventive players and Quaresma would seem to fit the bill. We need to be much more adventurous away from home and go after teams more, our home form is right up there with United and Chelsea but its on our travels where the gulf in points is evident.

The whole Simao affair has left quite a few people frustrated with the notion of going after him again, still I'm not sure if its the player or Benfica that have messed us around in the past.

Like the idea of Simao and Quaresma both coming in...some real creativity and pace on the wings to complement the quality we have in the middle of the park. Can't see us challenging for the title with Pennant and Kewell as first choice on the flanks so I'm sure Rafa has something up his sleeve. Keen on Benayoun coming in as well but only as a squad player.

Surely not having the quality players to play the game the way he wants it to be played has hampered Rafa?

At the end of the day, would we rather have a manager like Wenger who as good as he is, refuses (can be accused of being bloody stubborn!) to play any other way to the detriment of the club?

The view that Rafa can be one dimensional reminded me of what Claudio Ranieri said after he replaced Rafa at Valencia - I'm paraphrasing but the gist was the players asked him how they should play his first game in charge. He told them to go out and play the way Rafa had them playing and the players replied that Rafa had a dozen or more ways of playing depending on the team he picked, the opposition etc etc.

Rafa is a pragmatist with a Sports Science degree, he plays to the strengths of the resources available to him. With better players his options will increase, so expect more rotation not less. On the plus side I think he'll be more agressive looking for points away from Anfield. By this I mean going for it against the bottom 16 sides and wiping the floor with them. 4-3-3 with the players we already have, with a front 6 of Torres, Kuyt and Crouch; plus Stevie Xabi and Mascher/Momo and they wouldn't know what hit them.

We can be a bit more cagey against the other top sides if Rafa prefers, but I'm convinced that a much more attacking policy with the players already at our disposal would reap rich rewards.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 pm

stmichael wrote:I wouldn't normally add a new thread on a subject that has been considered elsewhere, as I hate it when other people do just that. But I'm gonna allow myself that luxury as the footy chat is generally swamped by transfer speculation at the moment. Anyhow my main thought at the moment is this. basically that the key to success is not necessarily having the best individual players, but having them play together, as a team, for a period of SEVERAL YEARS.

Ferguson has always been able to keep a core of players in each of the teams he has built to get used to each other and particularly of the attacking sort, and sign young hungry players who when the time comes play with and eventually take over from them. Thats why we see them tearing teams apart with good movement and skill year after year because they know where to find each other on the pitch.

Yes they havent been as good in the few years before last season, mainly due to Chelsea's spending power, but last season this process that Ferguson uses came to fruition and them winning the league again. For me, you could even argue that the most important Man U players aren't even Rooney and Ronaldo. They play superb attacking team football but it all stems from the understanding between the players. It's Neville, Ferdinand, Scholes and Giggs who are their key players, and I really don't rate them as individual players at all any more (Giggs excepted, who I think has been the best player of the Premiership era bar none).

Similarly I think that far more important than having flashy new players at Liverpool is having a set of players who have played together successfully for SEVERAL (I mean at least three) years together as a unit. That's why I think getting Alonso, Gerrard, et al on contracts isn't just a nice security, it's nigh-on essential. Various people have muttered that because we've got loads of decent central midfielders, Alonso could be disposed with; I couldn't disagree more, I think he's got an understanding with Stevie and the defence that only playing with the consistenly for ages can bring. I think that players should only be ditched from the team if they're doing a BAD job; if they're doing alright, I'd in general leave them in the side, because you're gonna lose more ground telling yourself 'these new players who I've brought into the squad need time to settle' and before you know it you've got another bad autumn whistling past you.

Riise is a case in point. Sure, his form hasn't been the best of late; that said, he's got the experience at the top level and we KNOW that he can do a top job for us, relatively consistently. I don't believe that top teams dump their best players just because they lose a bit of form. Sure, provide a some competition for him - Aurelio was really maturing into a very clever player towards the end of last season, Arbeloa provides a further option and by all accounts Insua sounds pretty special - but he's a consistent reference point that it would be suicidal to lose because the manager might get irritated with his form.

On the transfer front, the only area I think we're in DESPERATE need is a goalscoring striker. Up front we're full of 'added options' at the moment. The 'never-give-up striker who holds the ball up well', the 'big target man who scares defences', the 'pacy dangerman who also scares defences', but not actually anyone who does nothing except for bang in goals. We need someone who can score big goals, little goals, fat goals, thin goals, black goals, white goals, all kinds of goals.

Creatively, I've seen some of you guys speculating that Rafa might be looking to go more 4-2-3-1 next season as much as possible and this seems to make sense. Once again, this just makes me think that we can ALMOST make do with what we've got in midfield, but really need a top quality target striker. The '2' are Alonso & Mascherano with Sissoko in reserve; the '3' are Gerrard, Garcia and Kewell, with Pennant, Leto, Aurelio in reserve. Where Lucas fits in remains to be seen. But if you play with only one up front, then quite frankly the strikers we've got at the moment are all far from ideal.

Not sure about the whole Benayoun business - can't say it gets me excited, but then I fall into the trap of 'he plays for a mediocre Premiership club, not Real Madrid, and he's not very exotic, so I can't get excited'. I'd trust Rafa to know what he wants. Malouda sounds like a knob anyway.

I'd be for throwing my eggs in the striker basket, selling Bellamy to raise some extra cash and blowing the lot on a seriously decent player to score some goals. With £8m from Bellamy, plus the money for the likes of Gonzalez & co, plus CL money, TV money and we still have to ASSUME that G&H will provide some pocket money of some sort, however meagre, to spend, then we're surely looking at a budget of at least £30m gross to spend. I think our strikers could score the goals needed to win the league (Although I wouldnt turn down the likes of Eto'o) but we need the right service to them and Garcia and Kewell wont do it due to lack of consistency on the field and injuries respectively. So therefore we need at least two wide players to do the job. But I fear that, whoever we get, if they dont produce right away will lead to us looking at new players again next summer, they will need time just as Wenger gave Pires & Henry. I think we're still 2-3 years at least to winning the league, unless we are rich and can do a Chelsea and sign the best out there, I just hope we get behind the new players and give them time to build that consistency and understanding on the pitch.

I also really think that any new signing should start on the bench and work his way gradually into the team, only if it can be comprehensively proven that the team will play better for his inclusion.

Thoughts?

:bump

seems a bit slow round here, maybe its just me. I think this was one of the more interesting threads of last summer. interesting to put it in perspective a year on.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Fri May 16, 2008 10:14 pm

bigmick wrote:
stmichael wrote:Also, on the rotation issue, I never thought that Rafa rotated things as much as everyone made out.

Didn't we go ninety nine games without playing the same team twice? I've said a couple of times, I'd like to see Man Utd or Chelsea rotate as much as we do and still mount a title challenge. They couldn't because it's impossible. You either play your best players, together, in their best positions in almost all of the matches or you don't. Up to now under Rafa, we don't. Or at least we don't until we have had a desperate start and we need to string a few results togehter to avoid being mid-table.

Funnily enough, silly over rotation goes out of the window then. We play broadly our best team in every game. All I'm asking, all I wish for and have been doing so for three years is this, lets play our best team at the start of the season until such time as players become fatigued or start to lose form. Then, lets bring a new player or two in and tell him "play really well mate and you're the man in posession. You'll keep the shirt".

If we really are not as good as Chelsea, or Man Utd or both lets see how close we could get if we gave ourselves a chance. Just say for instance Rafa said before the season started that he was going to drastically reduce the level of his tinkering with the team and formation. Do you think that Mourinho and Ferguson would think a) Fantastic! that means their players will be more tired and more likely to get injured, or b) Oh feck! that means Liverpool will undoubtedly finish closer at the end of the day. I wonder.

It amazes me when people say on here that "the trouble is that our first team is really good, but the squad players aren't really up to it so when Rafa rotates the players, those that come in just aren't good enough". Here's an idea then, don't rotate 'em every fecking week      :eyebrow

The first thing you do when you see an age old thread dragged up is read through to see whether (to quote another poster on here) you've made a "bellend" of yourself  :D . This was the third post on the thread, and it just goes to show two things.

Firstly, those who find my posts boring and repetitive are entirely justified. I could quite easily have written this today, and what's more I no doubt will at some point which is probably the worst part about it.

Secondly, when I was explaining to another poster during the week that the Pompey away selection this season didn't "galvanise" my anti-rotation stance at all, I was telling the truth. I said then that I have been going on about it for years, and as this patently and indeed I'm the first to admit painfully demonstrates, I have.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sat May 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Thought it was interesting how StMichael could see us going to a 4-2-3-1, but with Garcia and Kewell instead of Kuyt and Babel (who I guess wasn't signed at the time)
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Mon May 19, 2008 11:28 am

JoeTerp wrote:Thought it was interesting how StMichael could see us going to a 4-2-3-1, but with Garcia and Kewell instead of Kuyt and Babel (who I guess wasn't signed at the time)

i remember playing arsenal at home in 04/05 with kewell left, sinama pongolle right and gerrard just behind baros and we played them off the park. garcia would also have been ideal in the 4-2-3-1 system in the kuyt or gerrard role.

dunno about the prediction of kewell playing though. made myself look stupid there didn't i? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion