Gerrard wont be goin in january

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:13 am

Load of tripe even tho he might leave end of the season depending on how we perform lets hope he stays for a good few years :)

RAFAEL BENITEZ insists he has been assured Real Madrid will not try to sign Steven Gerrard in January after inevitable speculation over the Liverpool skipper's future flared up again.

Reports on Sunday claimed Madrid president Florentino Perez would make a £22million move for Gerrard (pictured) in the transfer window after stating: "He is the type of player who would suit the famous shirt of Real Madrid."

But Benitez revealed he spoke to contacts at Madrid and his star midfielder when the story first surfaced two weeks ago - and was assured it was false.

"I read about Real Madrid and Steven but I am sure it is not true," said the Liverpool manager. "I have spoken to the player and to people in Madrid and they told me it was not true. Maybe someone just needed some news!

"We will have plenty of time to enjoy Steven Gerrard at Liverpool. I hope he will be here with us for years."

Liverpool's Champions League ambitions, meanwhile, have been improved by the news Monaco will be without star striker Javier Saviola in tomorrow's Group A opener at Anfield.

Saviola, who scored for Monaco in Saturday's 3-1 win over Strasbourg, will miss the game through suspension after being sent off playing for Barcelona in Europe last season.

Benitez admits Monaco will present a much different test to his new regime than West Brom did on Saturday, although Didier Deschamps's side have lost half the players who reached last season's final.

Fernando Morientes and Dado Prso have gone to Real Madrid and Rangers respectively, while Ludovic Giuly (Barcelona), Hugo Ibarra (Porto), Tony Sylva (Lille), Edouard Cisse and Jerome Rothen (both Paris St Germain) have also departed.

Benitez said: "This is another examination of me and how the players are reacting to the new life here. Playing Monaco will be a test for us, but I am looking for my team to show strength - mentally and physically. I am still building."

Monaco are currently fifth in the French League and Benitez added: "Obviously I know them and we have followed their progress. They have extremely good players and are well organised."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:17 am

I told you so ! :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:23 am

I think everyone knew he wasn't going not jsut you  :p

As I said somewhere before, in the summer no player who was linked with them was signed if the speculation was there for a week or more, Samuel, Woodgate and Owen were all sort of spur of the moment style deals.  Declaring an interest in Gerrard this early was clearly pointless speculation.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby maximus » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Whilst I will always want to see Stevie at Anfield, the facts are that if Madrid bid, say 25 million plus, and Stevie decides that he wants to go, it will happen.

Never underestimate what can happen in Football, the Owen deal to Madrid was done in about a week. So to speculate about Stevies future, so soon before the next transfer window, would be foolish.

Lets just be happy that Stevie is with LFC..................for the moment at least    ???
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:56 am

Yep

Guys yer gotta come to terms with reality, the players would rather chase the buck than the raw of the fans. The recent refusal of the England team to give any interviews after the game has convinced me they really dont give a sh*t and just play lip service to us all.

Sad but true.
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:34 am

agreed that money is the driving force in football at the moment, or has been over the last decade. nonetheless, i do feel that gerrard will still be an lfc player all this season. there are a few players whom i believe are loyal to certain clubs, i feel gerrard is one of them. although there are many of them left. if gerrard does go, then it will be the club who sells him rather than gerrard telling them he wants to go and forcing their hand. He will be at lfc now and at lfc next season also. you heard it hear FIRST people
106-1093504160

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:59 am

Hope your right judge :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:09 am

i'm usually right about most things, especially those subjects i love the most
106-1093504160

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:28 am

I'd bet my life he'll be here next season.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby addicted norwegian » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 am

I hope so too. And I have to say that when he rejects the Chel$ki offer, which probably would have included a close to astronomic paycheque, he can turn down offers from any club.
Teams like Real could tempt him with the possibility of winning trophies. Then again, Rafa seems pretty eager in raising a force with the potencial to compete with the best teams in Europe, and his resume speaks for itself. Bringing glory to Mestalla, against all odds considering minimal resources compared to clubs like Real and Barca, he can bring glory to Anfield. Stevie would have a lead role in the rafalution which has got to be a tempting challenge for any footballer  :)

There is off course the aspect of the Owen / Gerrard reunion, but if Owen stays benched, then where is the glory in that reunion.

I`ve always been somewhat of an optimist. Sometimes I get a bit carried away in my predictions, like I might now;
If it turns out that Owen will stay ranked behind Raul, Ronaldo and Morientes he won`t be pitched much this season. He will be unhappy with the situation and we can use the clause of bringing him back to Liverpool, and the Gerrard / Owen reunion will take place at Anfield :)
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:45 am

I could live with that.  I think Michael would score bucket loads again with the new attacking LFC.  How good was it that on Sat against West Brom we where still looking for a goal in the 90th min rather than panicing at the back like last season
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 106-1093504160 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:18 am

also would someone please tell Baros to look around a bit more when he's got the ball. skilled he may be, but my verdict on him for the club is still hung on the matter. country fine, club ?
106-1093504160

Postby kindaconfuzed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:56 am

Me sister told me she saw Gerrards mum buying a "learn Spanish in a week" course, what do yer reckon?
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:05 am

:D Shut it kinda  :p

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion