Gerrard to sign new contract before 25th of may! - £100k a week

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Mon May 09, 2005 3:06 pm

I think it is time to say goodbye to gerrard. He is now becoming his own worst enemy. His greed and his big ego will fit in with the rest of the mercenaries in chelsea. Lets spend the money on TEAM players. We do not need a big headed ego. And 100k a week is ridiculous, and will only distance the club and the players from the fans. Gerrard getting paid in one week the same amount as people do in 5 years? Hilarious.

And SG carrying the team on his own? What a joke. We have picked up less points with SG than without him. Statistically LFC has depended much much more on Hamann the last 3 years.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 09, 2005 3:13 pm

SG has had a poor season (Iknow he was nominated for PFA but that was based on reputation imo)

He runs around like a headless chicken. I wouldn't pay £5m a year for him. He's a good player but an aging Roy Keane is still much better. Viera too.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Mon May 09, 2005 3:21 pm

Big Niall wrote:SG has had a poor season (Iknow he was nominated for PFA but that was based on reputation imo)

He runs around like a headless chicken. I wouldn't pay £5m a year for him. He's a good player but an aging Roy Keane is still much better. Viera too.

Completely fcukin stupid comment, and you know it mate   :glare:
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Mon May 09, 2005 4:57 pm

We should keep Gerrard at absolutely all costs, he is priceless. Technically I agree with the view Xabi Alonso is a better player; it doesn't mean Gerrard has to make way. He is a fine captain and an awesome midfielder and I'll be extremely happy if he signs a new contract.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 09, 2005 5:01 pm

Seems to be two extremes here. Some of you calling him a money grabbing sulk who has had a poor season and several claining he is our best player and has carried the team all season.

My opinion falls somewhere in between the two.

On the plus side.

- He has played very well at times this season showing all the passion and skill we expect from him. Don't sit there and claim the guy has played like a headless chick

- There was a stage this season when he was the only player who looked like getting us a goal.

- He has started to sound like a real captain again just recently. Like a man who believes this club is going in the right direction.

- Those of you calling him a money grabber - I really don't believe it's about money as far as he is concerned

On the down side.

- He has sulked his way through a few awful performances this season. He has also had a handful of below-par games.

- His comments have often undermined his own position as captain this season

- The media campaign claiming he is off to Chelsea has been an unwelcome distraction all season.

For me - Steven Gerrard is STILL the most talented player at the club. He is our BEST player but i believe Alonso is our most IMPORTANT player. I don't believe Xabi can reach the heights Gerrard hit last season, in fact i'm not sure there are many players out there who can however. Alonso has become so important to Rafas' tactics. when we play well with Xabi in the team virtually everything goes through him.

These two have the potential to be the BEST midfield combo in Europe (as Rafa has already stated). I agree with St'Mick that Gerrards' best position is not as link man behind the main striker. Despite his obvious skills going forward, Gerrards biggest strengths will always be his ability to tackle, track back, win the ball and release other players.

I hope he stays.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thinkpad » Mon May 09, 2005 6:01 pm

Big Niall wrote:SG has had a poor season (Iknow he was nominated for PFA but that was based on reputation imo)

Totally agree with this (about viera and keane)... But if Gerald is staying, we need to buy a strongman like Viera or Keane. Often successful teams have a bully midfielder to be successful. Gerald just missed the mark. Our defeat to Arsenal is lost in midfield. See how Viera torment our defense and midfielders... he can effortlessly push them aside... especially those lightweight Spanish players. :P
Serious...

Btw, anybody need any Gmail accounts do let me know. I have 50 to give away.. why waste them Cheers.
Thinkpad

Postby Santa » Mon May 09, 2005 6:08 pm

stmichael wrote:no footballer is worth £100k a week. football has gone completely mad. ... that's why chelsea are a cancer in our game. as soon as they offer the cash, everyone comes running. :angry:

SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!! SALARY CAP!!!   :nod   :nod   :nod
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 09, 2005 6:33 pm

siti_zaiton1982 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Walked around again yesterday with a chip on his shoulder.

He can't handle the fact Alonso is a better player.

Gerrard is clearly becoming bad for team morale.

He doesn't want to play for the club no more.

that is totally ridiculous.

Good post!
115-1073096938

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 09, 2005 6:35 pm

keane`s past it lad, the only time he`s done anything in the last three years was against us at anfield, he even admitted as much himself and started talking about retirement. viera`s gone through a bad run of form for two years and arsenal fans even think they should have sold him to madrid.
gerrard has had to basically carry a team on his own for five years, keane and viera played in good sides.
gerrard is a better passer of the ball than keane was in his prime anyway.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 09, 2005 6:41 pm

Scott, you're talking sense.

And are probably right in your assessment, but he isn't a better footballer than Alonso. End of story.

Gerrard couldn't come back from injury and control a midfield against great team like Juventus. Nuff said.
115-1073096938

Postby zarababe » Mon May 09, 2005 7:31 pm

.. well keeping Gerrard will be important in order to build a successful team.. he and Alonso are important for the future of the club... whatever it takes.. if ppl like Rio are getting £80k+ at places like Mancsh*te.. then our Stevie is worth more easily..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 09, 2005 8:12 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard couldn't come back from injury and control a midfield against great team like Juventus. Nuff said.

You're probably right there Stu. Alonso's performance against Juve was unbelievable given the situation and i don't think the captain would have performed as admirably but, Gerrard IS the kind of player you want on the pitch when your team is 2 goals down and playing a shocker. He's the type of player who can drag us kicking and screaming over the line (as he did pretty much all season) with the sort of power and dynamism his game gives us.

That's why Gerrard and Alonso are potentially our dream ticket. They complement each other perfectly.

I'll be devastated if we lose Gerrard - I think a lot of fans have reacted to the Gerrard scenario wth a 'screw him, we don't need him, he doesn't love us so Fu.ck off' attitude. This is understandable, fans often feel and behave (i know i do)liked scorned lovers when one of their idols/heroes indicates the grass might be greener elsewhere but the man is still Liverpool FC Captain and likely (i believe) to be doing the same job next season.

We MUST keep both of these players for as long as we can.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon May 09, 2005 8:30 pm

I don't think we should try to compare Gerrard and Alonso as although they play in the same position they are totally, totally different players.

Gerrard
Drives the team forward
Great shot
Great passer of the ball
Great tackler

Alonso
The best passer of the ball in the EPL (possibly Europe)
Brings everyone into the game
Intelligent

In fact if you where going to create the perfect midfielder, you would would want all the attributes that both Alonso and Gerrard have, lets not argue who is the best and just celebrate the fact that we probably have the perfect centre midfield partnership in the world.

I'm a happy boy!!  so should you lot.. (or girls!??)
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby stmichael » Mon May 09, 2005 9:05 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Gerrard couldn't come back from injury and control a midfield against great team like Juventus. Nuff said.

i think that's more to do with temperament than ability to be honest stu. i've seen gerrard control games in the past. the problem he has is that at times he gets so pumped up by adrenaline that he tries too hard and his performance suffers. on the other hand, alonso just seems to ooze calm in every situation.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 09, 2005 9:15 pm

Scottbot wrote:He's the type of player who can drag us kicking and screaming over the line (as he did pretty much all season) with the sort of power and dynamism his game gives us.

Oops - I meant last season before anyone jumps down my throat :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion