Gerrard to commit to lfc for life

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:08 am

STEVEN GERRARD has told Liverpool: I want to sign for life.

The Anfield skipper said yesterday: “I have two years left on my contract. If there was a chance to extend that, I’m sure I’d do it.”

Gerrard is in sensational form as the Reds mount their charge for the Premier League and Champions League crowns and has attracted strong interest from Real Madrid.

But the England midfield star, 29 in May, is ready to sign a new contract committing himself to Liverpool for good.

Manager Rafa Benitez recently penned a long-term deal to end speculation about his future.

And Gerrard added: “I’ve never been happier than I am at the moment throughout my career.

“I’m playing in a top team with world-class players. And I believe in the manager and that, going forward, we can be successful.

"For years I have moaned about not being involved in a title race and being far away from the other teams.

“But at the moment I’m playing in a team capable of beating anyone in the league.”
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am

Here's another one praising rafa

STEVEN GERRARD believes he is playing the best football of his life because he has finally accepted that Rafa Benitez was right all along.

It has taken the strong-willed Liverpool skipper the best part of five years to come to terms with the Benitez masterplan.

But now he is reaping the rewards of the Spaniard’s painstaking preparation work to lead the first realistic title challenge of his career.

Gerrard teams up with his England colleagues this week on the back of six goals in his last three games against Real Madrid, Manchester United and Aston Villa.

His lethal partnership with Fernando Torres has taken Liverpool to within one point of United at the top of the Premier League and through to another Champions League showdown with Chelsea.

No wonder Gerrard, 28, has finally vanquished the doubts he used to harbour about Benitez’s leadership.

Speaking from the England base in Hertfordshire yesterday, he said: “My relationship with Rafa has got stronger and stronger as time’s gone by.

“For years and years I’ve moaned about not being involved in the title race and being so far away from the other top teams.

“But now I’m playing in my favourite position, we’re winning games and I’m the captain of a team that’s capable of beating anyone.

“Maybe I was a bit selfish when I was younger. Perhaps I thought too much about myself when the boss was playing me out of position.

“I was out on the right for his first two years at the club and instead of taking a deep breath and realising it was for the good of the team, I’d have a little moan about it.

“Rafa told me all along he’d play me in a central role when he got some stronger wide players.

But, until then, I’d have to sacrifice myself on the wing.

“Now he’s playing me through the middle and I’m really enjoying myself — it’s where I now think I’m at my best.”

Gerrard has even come to terms with Benitez’s stony face in the technical area and realises the boss is never going to be a Jose Mourinho when it comes to showing his emotions.

He added: “Even after we put five past Villa on Sunday there was no pat on the back and ‘well done’ from the manager.

“He was already thinking ahead to our next game, planning how we can beat Fulham. That’s what makes him a top manager and why he’s a winner.”

Gerrard is equally comfortable with Benitez’s controversial rotation policy and no longer gets the hump about being substituted or even rested for certain games.

He said: “When you’re younger you want to play every game but as you get more experienced you accept you need to be rested at certain times so you peak at the right times.

“That’s why the Liverpool squad is looking so fresh and powerful at the moment.”

Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

Yet despite his club commitments, there is no question of Gerrard ducking out of England’s forthcoming games against Slovakia and Ukraine after missing the last two friendlies in Germany and Spain.

His withdrawal from the trip to Germany with a groin injury sparked a huge club versus country row and Gerrard is now keen to prove his passion for international football remains as strong as ever.

He said: “It was a difficult situation. England were desperate for me to play but the club knew I had an injury.

“I’m desperate to win something with England. It’s nice to be top of our World Cup qualification group and now the challenge is to confirm our place at South Africa and go there full of confidence.

“This country would be an unbelievable place to be if we were to achieve something.”

Gerrard has no idea where Fabio Capello will ask him to play in Saturday’s Wembley friendly against the Slovaks.

But he is more than willing to reproduce his club role as a second striker behind Wayne Rooney.

He added: “I’d love nothing better than to be given the chance to play in a similar role for England and try to find my club form.

“Rafa Benitez has really helped me to improve in this position. I’m getting my head around the demands of the job and enjoying the freedom.

“I’ve had dialogue with Fabio Capello about how to get the best out of me for England and I feel my international form has improved since he became the manager.

“I need to play for England like I have been for Liverpool. We need everyone to perform like they do for their clubs.”

If everyone starts performing like Steven Gerrard is right now, the FA can book the flights to South Africa today.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 am

:bowdown  :buttrock

Spot on Stevie Lad . Cant get bigger praise than that from our own Stevie Gerrard .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:14 am

And Gerrard added: “I’ve never been happier than I am at the moment throughout my career.

“I’m playing in a top team with world-class players. And I believe in the manager and that, going forward, we can be successful.

He knows his football, he's world class at what he does, he knows the team from inside, and, for what is worth, he doesn't seem to be thinking that bar 3 players the squad of years ago was better. Maybe he's a happy clapper? Maybe. My opinion is that he simply knows what he's talking about.

I think there's no other option than Gerrard finnishing his career here, and I'm chuffed about it.

LONG LIFE FOR STEVEN GERRARD!!!
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:15 am

So can we add Gerrard into the stay section for Rafa and is a Pro Rafa :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 am

“But now I’m playing in my favourite position, we’re winning games and I’m the captain of a team that’s capable of beating anyone.

“Maybe I was a bit selfish when I was younger. Perhaps I thought too much about myself when the boss was playing me out of position.

IMHO Gerrard is being too humble here. I don't think he was selfish when younger, I just think he was a top quality player that thought that in certain positions he could give more to the team.

But the manager showed him other options, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the player has answered with great football. Rafa only points out the way, but it's Gerrard who makes the magic happen.

I think this bit of quotes is important because I didn't know that Gerrard considered his current role his favourite.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Here's another one praising rafa

STEVEN GERRARD believes he is playing the best football of his life because he has finally accepted that Rafa Benitez was right all along.

It has taken the strong-willed Liverpool skipper the best part of five years to come to terms with the Benitez masterplan.

But now he is reaping the rewards of the Spaniard’s painstaking preparation work to lead the first realistic title challenge of his career.

Gerrard teams up with his England colleagues this week on the back of six goals in his last three games against Real Madrid, Manchester United and Aston Villa.

His lethal partnership with Fernando Torres has taken Liverpool to within one point of United at the top of the Premier League and through to another Champions League showdown with Chelsea.

No wonder Gerrard, 28, has finally vanquished the doubts he used to harbour about Benitez’s leadership.

Speaking from the England base in Hertfordshire yesterday, he said: “My relationship with Rafa has got stronger and stronger as time’s gone by.

“For years and years I’ve moaned about not being involved in the title race and being so far away from the other top teams.

“I was out on the right for his first two years at the club and instead of taking a deep breath and realising it was for the good of the team, I’d have a little moan about it.

“Rafa told me all along he’d play me in a central role when he got some stronger wide players.

But, until then, I’d have to sacrifice myself on the wing.

“Now he’s playing me through the middle and I’m really enjoying myself — it’s where I now think I’m at my best.”

Gerrard has even come to terms with Benitez’s stony face in the technical area and realises the boss is never going to be a Jose Mourinho when it comes to showing his emotions.

He added: “Even after we put five past Villa on Sunday there was no pat on the back and ‘well done’ from the manager.

“He was already thinking ahead to our next game, planning how we can beat Fulham. That’s what makes him a top manager and why he’s a winner.”

Gerrard is equally comfortable with Benitez’s controversial rotation policy and no longer gets the hump about being substituted or even rested for certain games.

He said: “When you’re younger you want to play every game but as you get more experienced you accept you need to be rested at certain times so you peak at the right times.

“That’s why the Liverpool squad is looking so fresh and powerful at the moment.”

Advertisement
Click here to find out more!

Yet despite his club commitments, there is no question of Gerrard ducking out of England’s forthcoming games against Slovakia and Ukraine after missing the last two friendlies in Germany and Spain.

His withdrawal from the trip to Germany with a groin injury sparked a huge club versus country row and Gerrard is now keen to prove his passion for international football remains as strong as ever.

He said: “It was a difficult situation. England were desperate for me to play but the club knew I had an injury.

“I’m desperate to win something with England. It’s nice to be top of our World Cup qualification group and now the challenge is to confirm our place at South Africa and go there full of confidence.

“This country would be an unbelievable place to be if we were to achieve something.”

Gerrard has no idea where Fabio Capello will ask him to play in Saturday’s Wembley friendly against the Slovaks.

But he is more than willing to reproduce his club role as a second striker behind Wayne Rooney.

He added: “I’d love nothing better than to be given the chance to play in a similar role for England and try to find my club form.

“Rafa Benitez has really helped me to improve in this position. I’m getting my head around the demands of the job and enjoying the freedom.

“I’ve had dialogue with Fabio Capello about how to get the best out of me for England and I feel my international form has improved since he became the manager.

“I need to play for England like I have been for Liverpool. We need everyone to perform like they do for their clubs.”

If everyone starts performing like Steven Gerrard is right now, the FA can book the flights to South Africa today.

Feck me, what a statement if those quotes are accurate.  Not a month ago we were awash with speculation that Rafa had lost the dressing room and that the likes of Carra and Gerrard were calling some of the shots (remember that whole thing about Carra refusing to play RB?).  Many of us were nervous that it might be true; even a few die-hard happy clappers were wondering.  There was always this underlying feeling that Stevie and Carra were skeptical of Rafa's methods and indifferent to the prospect of him leaving.  So, to read these remarks is a bombshell of the highest order, IMHO.  I guess things were never as bleak as some of us feared after all.  :)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Good on you Stevie. Rafa should get this one all sown up quick hopefully.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:54 pm

to add to my point in the S*n thread, the 2 starting post in this thread are from the S*N.

COPY AND PAST THEM INTO GOOGLE, and you will see.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Feck me, what a statement if those quotes are accurate.  Not a month ago we were awash with speculation that Rafa had lost the dressing room and that the likes of Carra and Gerrard were calling some of the shots (remember that whole thing about Carra refusing to play RB?).  Many of us were nervous that it might be true; even a few die-hard happy clappers were wondering.  There was always this underlying feeling that Stevie and Carra were skeptical of Rafa's methods and indifferent to the prospect of him leaving.  So, to read these remarks is a bombshell of the highest order, IMHO.  I guess things were never as bleak as some of us feared after all.

Ah, yes. I was discussing this with Sir Roger elsewhere. The media, the articles, the things left unsaid, the body language might be showing signs.

Signs, that can be interpreted. Some posters that are quite good with their prose, can even paint a situation as very dire with those signs... I personally was worried about some signs like Keane leaving, and the "Carraguer refusing to play RB" incident and Rafa's answers to that incident.

But, one thing is articles, speculations, and body language interpretations.

Another thing is quotes and contracts. Twist that if you can :D
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Im sure it can be twisted and will be - things like "well you cant expect the players to slag off Rafa " etc etc
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 pm

lakes10 wrote:to add to my point in the S*n thread, the 2 starting post in this thread are from the S*N.

We must adhere to a strong "don't quote the S*n" policy on here but we also must recognize that the S*n carry stories that other papers and media outlets are also reporting.  The distinction is vital because people sometimes get accused of quoting the S*n on here when in fact they were quoting other sources.  I don't know what the situation is in this case but I'd be very, very, very surprised if Steven Gerrard was giving an exclusive interview to the S*n.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:46 pm

Notice how he's waited until Parry is going before mentioning a new contract. :lookaround  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:47 pm

lakes10 wrote:to add to my point in the S*n thread, the 2 starting post in this thread are from the S*N.

Thanks for pointing out... I didn't know that.

I'll edit my post about this quotes until those are brought by another media.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:51 pm

stmichael wrote:Notice how he's waited until Parry is going before mentioning a new contract. :lookaround  :D

:D
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion