Gerrard to commit to lfc for life

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Benítez backs Gerrard to win PFA player of the year award

• 'Stevie is one of the best players in the world,' says Spaniard
• Liverpool's captain has scored 21 times already this season

Liverpool's manager Rafael Benítez believes Steven Gerrard should be named PFA player of the year next month.

Nemanja Vidic and Ryan Giggs of Manchester United are favourites for the award but Benítez thinks his captain, who has scored 21 goals this campaign and led Liverpool to second in the league and the quarter-final of the Champions League, should take the honour.

"He would be my vote. If he can continue playing at this level, then why not?" Benítez said. "For me Stevie is one of the best players in the world. To say one is the best above anyone else is difficult because there are a lot of quality players about, but he is one of the best. That is clear.

"He is more mature, he is still learning and tactically he is improving. He can still play better because he has the potential. But he has quality and always tries to improve in every training session. That is very positive. You know when he is on the pitch you have more options to win."

Gerrard, who is currently with the England squad, said this week that he believes his form is partly down to his more advanced role at Liverpool, something his manager agrees with.

"Changing his position and seeing him play in a different role has improved a lot," added Benítez. "He scored 23 goals one year and now he has 21 and can score more before the end of this season, so that is very positive for the team and also for him. When Gerrard and [Fernando] Torres are together for us, the rest of the team has more confidence. It is good for the rest of the players as they get a lot of confidence when we have those two on the pitch."
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Ryan f#cking Giggs?  :no
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Good to see Rafa praises Gerrard, as always, despite the praises he always asks a bit more.

I think the manager is right when he talks about the evolution of the player. We've always praised the lad, but IMHO it's true he's getting better with experience.

It's interesting aswell that Rafa, despite remembering the season in which Gerrard scored 23 goals in the right wing, doesn't seem to be considering other options. Fortunately as the squad gets stronger there's less need to use Gerrard to fix gaps everywhere.

It seems that for now, he has found a fixed position for Gerrard, which would mean that he also trusts the Alonso-Mascherano axis, an axis that BTW I always liked and I like.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

stmichael wrote:Ryan f#cking Giggs?  :no

anno - Gerrard world calss and the you get ... Giggs  :glare:
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm

BREAKING NEWS

News here in Brazil is that Real Madrid offered 70 million quid for Gerrard last week which was turned down and possibly as a direct consequence, SG came out and says he wants to sign for life.

Anyone else had a sniff of this?  (and its not a wind up).
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:17 pm

On GB there was a mention that sources close to Perez contacted Gerrards agent/advisors and were met with a categorical no. As far as I know he is on their wishlist but they will not be activley pursuing him. The only way Real could have tempted Stevie is if there was another breakdown with Rafa and his contract. But now that he has signed a new contract they have been forced to put that to rest not. Perez will probably concentrate on Ronaldo and Kaka now.
Last edited by tubby on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby benitez rocks » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Gerrard wasn't that selfish when he was younger. I think Benitez has been like a very harsh father to Gerrard. But in the end, it's improved him, so you can that it's good management.

Selfish is like Cristiano Ronaldo. He's also a big game choker. http://bleacherreport.com/article....rprised
benitez rocks

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion