Gerrard's mindset - His own worst enemy?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:01 pm

I couldn't believe it the other day when I was listening to the radio on the way back from the match. Some muppet came on the radio saying that Gerrard shouldn't play against Chelsea because we've done better without him in a number of games this season. What nonsense. In a game as big as this you play your best players, and as the Captain of LFC, this has got to be the biggest game of Stevie G's career so far. Cometh the hour against Chelsea, cometh the man, I truly believe that. Even he admits that he hasn't been playing at his best recently, but if he can't raise himself for what is going to be one of the biggest matches in English football history then he needs to look at himself.

After last summers fiasco is it unfair to say that all is not well in the Gerrard camp?? I think not. His performances on the pitch (bar a handful of games like Arsenal and Olympiakos, and a few captains performances against Watford(!!)) have been well short of the Stevie of old. Is it me or does he look less of a team player and more an individual?? Maybe the past couple of seasons of carrying the team along with Michael Owen have taken it's toll, and he's forgot the basics like team spirit, team play, encouraging and trusting your teammates on the pitch..

And what about the dressing room?? Well, if reports are to believed, his relationship with Carragher is not what it was following a falling out on England duty during Euro2004. He's no longer relied upon on the pitch (thanks to Rafa) and players often seem to come out the shadows when he isnt playing (see Biscan). Sound like a player who is contributing to dressing room harmony??

His comments in the press this season have been astoundingly ill timed. Like prior to an all important, final group match in the Champions League (which further progression rested on). Instead of rallying the troops ahead of the clash he decided it was time to use his psychological weapon that is "I might have to leave" to put his own personal pressure on the team and the manager. Then live on air during Man United's FA Cup clash with Boro he decided that in front of millions he should reaffirm his indecision over his future, great captaincy material that is..

Don't get me wrong, while I think Gerrard is his own worst enemy and he is now the brunt of his own high standards, I DO want him to stay. I think if Rafa can get inside his head and get him to stop spouting petulant sh*te to the media, get him back to the team player he was around 2000-2002 and help develop his partnership with Xabi, then all bodes well for a promising and hopefully fruitful future. However, distraction is now affecting his performances on the pitch and thus affecting the team,the dressing room, and results.

Time has inevitably come for decisions to be made, and people are bound to put the boot in if he decides to jump ship to a team who more or less guarantee some level of success thanks to the helping hand of a billionaire.

If he decides to go then he obviously wasnt upto the challenge of fighting for success rather than taking the easy and somewhat hollow route with the likes of Chelsea or Madrid. This club needs players with a scouse or scouse-like heart. One that is all about graft, determination, spirit and a touch of humour maybe (smiling everynow and then shows you enjoy playing for the club and the fans). Just don't expect people to stand there and take it.

He's won a few trophies at Anfield, more than the likes of a two years senior Frank Lampard have ever won.. Stevie's career and medal collection has only just started, if he's ready to take a climb down in his career by leaving the definitive English Football Club then be prepared for the ensuing onslaught..

Ask Gerrard what would be his ultimate dream, and it would be to lead out his beloved Liverpool in a Champions League Final. That is a little more than 180 minutes away. Lets just hope that dream becomes a reality.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:02 am

if he stays, he will have to sign a new contact.. if not, byebye..
Alonso_Rulz

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:32 am

stmichael wrote:I couldn't believe it the other day when I was listening to the radio on the way back from the match. Some muppet came on the radio saying

a lot of muppets go on 606, the things you hear from Curbishley should be sacked from Charlton, to the Shearer re-signing didn't mean much to the Geordie fans and so on.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 am

Yes slightly off topic but the some of the Charlton fans opinions on Curbishley are truly bordering on the bizarre. They should be building a statue of the fella in the lobby of the stadium, instead of that there are the beginnings of a "get him out" campaign.
How long before Allardyce gets hounded out because Bolton "only" finish ninth in the Premiership, "well he's taken them as far as he can hasn't he?". These numpties end up with the club they deserve. He's taken them as far as he can implies that somebody else will come in and take them further. A bit like Leicester after Martin O'Neil or West Ham after Harry Redknapp. Definately time for a change.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:20 am

The only to keep SG , is to win every match .......
LiverpoolMadman

Postby bedlovedays » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:36 am

Perhaps it is remnants from the GH days?  Perhaps he has other things going on in his life.  Let's get behind him, You'll never Walk Alone applies to him too.  Perhaps he's mentally tired from carrying the team for so long?

Perhaps a spell at Real Madrid would cure him?  Let's see how mikey is when he comes back...............
bedlovedays

Postby L-type » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:40 am

I don't kinow about his mindset, I'm more worried about mine cus I just had a dream that we lost 3-1... :(
Last edited by L-type on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:38 pm

i think he himself couldn't make a decision whether to leave or not ..

he must be thinking whether to wait for another season or so or juz leave for another club to win things .. juz like wat he's been saying.he's definitely wants to win things maybe at a younger age.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion