Gerrard - Pure love

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:17 pm

JBG is spot on. It wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if he went to Man U. Can't help thinking though that Chelski is where he's off to. In a way I hope Manure come in for him because I think Chelski will outbid them however much they stump up which will mean we get more cash. That said, Ferguson has nicked players before where other teams have offered more money and the selling club wants to deal but the player just digs his heels in and the scum get their man. Imagine that, Chelski bid 40 million, Manure bid 25 and get their man. Nightmare scenario or what?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:42 pm

Yes, it could happen Mick.

No one wants Gerrard to go, and if he did go, a lot of people would say "But only for 40m+".

The thing is, if a player wants to go, really wants to go, his suitors decide to get tight with their money, and I reckon that its possible we might get a few million less than the 35million talked about in the summer.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:54 pm

Gerrard has back tracked a bit from his comments which were published on Tuesday....

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.as....ll_Home

All well and good, but if we lose or draw against Everton, will he be on his bike again?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:44 pm

I don't feel like reading seven pages of this.

IF Steven Gerrard wishes to leave then no one will stop him, he can go if he wants. Obiviously I don't want him to leave but we won't fall flat on our asses without him. He's one of the best midfielders and if he is going to leave then the thing we need to do is get the right amount of cash for him. Anything below 25 million would be insane. He's worth more than that.

He's been linked with plenty of clubs, Chelsea made their move in the summer and he turned them down. Will he go to Manchester United? I seriously doubt that a person who grew up cheering for Liverpool would now transfer to the club's biggest rivals. I can not see that happening, it would make things very very complicating.

I do not know what it's in Gerrards head but he will have to understand that we are not going to win the Premier League or the Champions League this year. We're in transition and I do not know what he expected in Rafa's first year but he should wait one more year.

You can not blame a player for wanting trophies under his belt and as far as I've read Gerrard want's to win things with Liverpool but if that is going to happen he shouldn't leave in the summer.

If he does leave then we will get enough players to strengthen our squad. I was sick and tired of Michael Owen stories during the summer and in my mind I didn't think he would leave but he did and I was gutted. I am not going to worry my head off about Steven Gerrard after all the comition and drama in the summer.

He knows where the exit door is, he has two options; stay a bit longer or walk out.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:13 pm

The thing that annoys me of Gerrard going is that we spent the whole of the 1990s crying out for a leader in the centre of the park, a talisman.

We may sign a few new players with money we would receive from any Gerrard sale, but we need a leader to replace him.

Carragher and Hyppia are good leaders, but not what is necessary. If Gerrard goes we need a strong minded guy to replace him in the centre of the park.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby zarababe » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:25 pm

.. if he does leave .... it does not mean he luv's the club any less.... the day may come .... he has said today that he wants to win things at LFC.. but if that don't happen... he's professional ambition will overtake his emotional feelings for the club ... but of course Benitez will lead us to glory and this is all hypothetical any way :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:26 pm

zarababe wrote:.. if he does leave .... it does not mean he luv's the club any less.... the day may come .... he has said today that he wants to win things at LFC.. but if that don't happen... he's professional ambition will overtake his emotional feelings for the club ... but of course Benitez will lead us to glory and this is all hypothetical any way :D

Hopefully Zara.  :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby the-stinger » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 pm

spud wrote:
the-stinger wrote:
peewee wrote:Image

Anyone got any good captions to come with this pic?

Yessssssssssssss!

I wont have to play a third division team of Bulgarian miners now!

:D

pure class. He;s gone next season, no questions.
the-stinger

Postby adayinthelife » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:44 pm

bigmick wrote:JBG is spot on. It wouldn't surprise me in this day and age if he went to Man U. Can't help thinking though that Chelski is where he's off to. In a way I hope Manure come in for him because I think Chelski will outbid them however much they stump up which will mean we get more cash. That said, Ferguson has nicked players before where other teams have offered more money and the selling club wants to deal but the player just digs his heels in and the scum get their man. Imagine that, Chelski bid 40 million, Manure bid 25 and get their man. Nightmare scenario or what?

Not a chance of Gerrard ever signing for the scum.

He would be a dead man walking if he did and he knows it.

He said he wanted to win things and has a better chance with us than them.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:10 am

The thing that annoys me of Gerrard going is that we spent the whole of the 1990s crying out for a leader in the centre of the park, a talisman.

We may sign a few new players with money we would receive from any Gerrard sale, but we need a leader to replace him.

Carragher and Hyppia are good leaders, but not what is necessary. If Gerrard goes we need a strong minded guy to replace him in the centre of the park.

One word... Alonso.

He's definately a leader in the middle of the pitch. He will improve once he settles and gets a bit older aswell.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:15 am

stu_the_red wrote:

One word... Alonso.

He's definately a leader in the middle of the pitch. He will improve once he settles and gets a bit older aswell.

Hopefully Stu, but like all great players (not that Alonso is great, not yet anyway) it will take him a couple of years to assume the mantle.

Roy Keane lived in the shadow of Paul Ince and Brian Robson for a while, Viera in the shadow of Petit and Gerrard in the shadow of Hamman and McAllister.

It takes a couple of years for the player to become a true leader.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:17 am

I think Jamie Carragher would be a great captain if Gerrard was to leave.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:18 am

mmm... But to me he's already stood out as a leader. Hence the reason i'm a bit wary of weather himself and Gerrard would work, Scholes wasn't a leader... is playing two out an out leaders a good idea?

I'd say he's at a similar level now to Gerrard already, just different surroundings, culture and teamates, i think it will take maybe one season at the most for him to prove he has this ability...
115-1073096938

Postby zarababe » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:19 am

Alonso is definately going to improve and is so highly regarded in Spain ... and other football circles... sublime and great touches...  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:25 am

What I mean by leader is someone who will take the game by the scruff of the neck when we aren't playing well, a talisman who can change the game by force of will.

I think there are two kinds of leaders in football: those who lead by effin' and blindin' and driving the team forward, and those who silently lead by example.

Alonso would be the latter.

I'm excited by what Alonso could be, and he would probably become the team's leader when Gerrard goes, but as good as he'll ever be, he won't become "Mr. Liverpool" overnight.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion