Gerrard in the middle

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:17 pm

From Liverpoolfc.tv

Rafa Benitez has revealed skipper Steven Gerrard will feature more as a central midfielder this season.
Speaking after his side missed out on the Port of Rotterdam trophy on Sunday night, the Spaniard revealed Gerrard would play less games on the right following the arrival of Yossi Benayoun and the continued good form of Jermaine Pennant.

"Yes, normally he will play more games in the middle," said Benitez. "He enjoys playing there and I think he will play a lot more games there this season."

The Reds rounded off their pre-season preparations with a fiery 1-1 draw against Feyenoord in the De Kuip Stadium. The result meant Porto claimed the silverware following their 3-0 victory over Shanghai.

"The team was alright," Benitez added. "We had some chances and, okay, we could have scored more goals, but in terms of football it was okay. We are ready now for the season. We have competition for each position and now we need to decide after training who will start.

"We have confidence. We are prepared, we have a better squad, and hopefully we'll start by winning next week."

The Liverpool boss also revealed Harry Kewell was taken off during the second half as precaution.

Great news if you ask me its his best position and is far more affective there. But where the hell are all the rest of the central midfield men going to play...
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Dundalk wrote:The Liverpool boss also revealed Harry Kewell was taken off during the second half as precaution.

...against him actually doing something productive in the game.  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:42 pm

Great and expected news for me. Gerrard was played in the right because he's the best player and was THE TEAM needed him there. Now we have a winger in the right (Pennant) AND someone else that can do the right midfielder role, so naturally, Gerrard will play much more in the middle.

And once he play more in the middle I'll reopen the old "incompatibility with Alonso" discussion. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Sabre wrote:And once he play more in the middle I'll reopen the old "incompatibility with Alonso" discussion. :)

who is he most compatible with between Alonso, Mascherano, and Momo?
JoeTerp

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 am

well its only taken 3 years for rafa to realise his best position for himself and for the team   ???

great news, he should be central every game
112-1077774096

Postby benf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:52 am

I know it is only the average teams we are playing but yeh with Gerrard in the middle he will be great what are your predictions in who will play alongside him though? Will Masch start regulary, because I think we have too many midfieldiers to choose from, Alonso vs Masch!
benf

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:28 am

And once he play more in the middle I'll reopen the old "incompatibility with Alonso" discussion

Firstly I'd like to say Amen to that ... Rafa's statement.

Secondly Sabre you might not need to reopen "incompatibilty" discussions as much now as we have Mascha.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:06 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Sabre wrote:And once he play more in the middle I'll reopen the old "incompatibility with Alonso" discussion. :)

Id go with Mascherano myself. Mascherano has excellent defensive skills hes not too slow and hes passing isnt too bad either

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 am

RichardLFC1 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:

Id go with Mascherano myself. Mascherano has excellent defensive skills hes not too slow and hes passing isnt too bad either

its a hard one that, i would probably plump for masherano for all round play, but i would imagine this decision will be based on who is up front rather than who else is in midfield, if we have the pace up front then i would imagine alonso with his range of passing would be the option, good balls over the top or through balls for torres to run onto, however if we have kuyt up front or crouch then there is no harm in masherano playing with gerrard.
112-1077774096

Postby kobashi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:32 am

Worrying thing is Gerrard is our best RW player.
kobashi

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:13 am

Wouldn't be a normal day on here without a Gerrard in the centre debate.

We have 4 (maybe 5) top class central midfielders, one of whom can play on the right with almost equal ability. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to have 3 world class players in the team with Gerrard on the right than 2 world class players in the team with Gerrard in the centre.

Gerrard in the centre is better for Gerrard, but what's best for Gerrard isn't necessarily what's best for the team. Gerrard is the best right midfielder in the world, of course Rafa is going to struggle to find a replacement who is better.

Barcelona "waste" Messi and Ronaldo out wide because they don't want to alter their formation to fit them in centrally. Real Madrid "wasted" Zidane out on the left and Juventus "wasted" Nedved on the left.

Gerrard on the right is a non-issue, that's not what's stopping us from winning the league.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Alonso14 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:26 am

stmichael wrote:Wouldn't be a normal day on here without a Gerrard in the centre debate.

We have 4 (maybe 5) top class central midfielders, one of whom can play on the right with almost equal ability. As far as I'm concerned, it's better to have 3 world class players in the team with Gerrard on the right than 2 world class players in the team with Gerrard in the centre.

Gerrard in the centre is better for Gerrard, but what's best for Gerrard isn't necessarily what's best for the team. Gerrard is the best right midfielder in the world, of course Rafa is going to struggle to find a replacement who is better.

Barcelona "waste" Messi and Ronaldo out wide because they don't want to alter their formation to fit them in centrally. Real Madrid "wasted" Zidane out on the left and Juventus "wasted" Nedved on the left.

Gerrard on the right is a non-issue, that's not what's stopping us from winning the league.

You forgot Ronaldinho who was wasted on the left despite scoring 23 goals.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:33 am

st mike turns into a comedian        :D

mate you are talking some bollox there, why take one of the nest central midfielders in the world and move him out right to shoe in two lesser players in that position
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am

peewee wrote:st mike turns into a comedian        :D

mate you are talking some bollox there, why take one of the nest central midfielders in the world and move him out right to shoe in two lesser players in that position

I thought that myself, but I didnt know whether the post was his or some big Bubba's from RAWK and was reluctant to say so.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

He is best suited to play in the middle of the park, not on the right or the left or in goals in the MIDDLE

As peewee said he is one of the best central midfielders in the world not wingers. If someone needs to be dropped then drop them
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion