Gerrard breaks toe

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:23 am

ConnO'var wrote:Hope it's not that serious. A little concerned that the dirty b@stards at Chelsea will try to take him out for longer by targeting the injured foot. Gerrard still remains the most important, key player that we have... despite the summer spending spree.

Having said that, it'll be pretty interesting to see Masch and Alonso in the middle. With Mash taking the holding role, it should be interesting to see Alonso pull the strings from a slightly more advanced role than that in which we usually see him. With proper wingers, I feel that this combination would work well. Wouldn't want to experiment with that against Chelsea though. We are off to a good start for the 1st time in a long while and theres no sense in jeopardizing the momentum (albeit slight) that we've built, so I guess I'd risk Gerrard too.

As for England..... to hell with McLaren's problems..... it's only a only damn friendly anyway.....

ConnO'var I dont think it would be that interesting to watch Xabi and Mascha play in the middle together. IMO both will play their usual defensive roles. When they played together in the middle before there was nothing really creative or attacking about the pairs game plan.

I think when we set out with those two in the middle it more or less implies a very defensive outfit. I cant see Xabi going any further forward than he usually does. Mascha did carry the ball out from deep against Toulouse which was good to see, but I dont think we can expect Gerrard-esk type runs from the little Argie. Its not in either of their styles to play this way.

I personally would feel that Momo would be a better option for this game either alongside Xabi or Mascha, probably Mascha in all honesty. Because we know Momo will chase, and hunt the ball down further upfield, and with him and Mascha in the middle the pair of them would be at the heels of the Chelsea midfielders hardly allowing them time on the ball.

That said I think Gerrard will play, but if he didnt and either two of the three mentioned before play in the middle. Then I think it should be a certainty that Babel should start ahead of Riise on the left flank. Pace and creativity has to come from somewhere in midfield and with Mascha, momo,Xabi and Riise we dont have that. Babel and Pennat on either wing for me to help out the forwards much more, as we saw them really starve of decent service against Toulouse.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:59 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Any idea which foot it is?  Will it affect his ability to shoot from distance?

From watching the tackle against Toulouse I'm pretty sure it was his left foot.

Hope you're right, mate...his right foot's the real weapon.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:14 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Any idea which foot it is?  Will it affect his ability to shoot from distance?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was his left, even still though thats his standing foot when shooting. I wonder if the weight on one foot when shooting will hinder his ability to crack one.
66-1112520797

Postby username » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:19 am

Bamaga man wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was his left, even still though thats his standing foot when shooting. I wonder if the weight on one foot when shooting will hinder his ability to crack one.

The weight wont do much, i mean hes ganna be on one foot while running. If he couldn't stand on it, he wouldn't be playing.
Last edited by username on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:24 am

Bamaga man wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Hope it's not that serious. A little concerned that the dirty b@stards at Chelsea will try to take him out for longer by targeting the injured foot. Gerrard still remains the most important, key player that we have... despite the summer spending spree.

Having said that, it'll be pretty interesting to see Masch and Alonso in the middle. With Mash taking the holding role, it should be interesting to see Alonso pull the strings from a slightly more advanced role than that in which we usually see him. With proper wingers, I feel that this combination would work well. Wouldn't want to experiment with that against Chelsea though. We are off to a good start for the 1st time in a long while and theres no sense in jeopardizing the momentum (albeit slight) that we've built, so I guess I'd risk Gerrard too.

As for England..... to hell with McLaren's problems..... it's only a only damn friendly anyway.....

ConnO'var I dont think it would be that interesting to watch Xabi and Mascha play in the middle together. IMO both will play their usual defensive roles. When they played together in the middle before there was nothing really creative or attacking about the pairs game plan.

I think when we set out with those two in the middle it more or less implies a very defensive outfit. I cant see Xabi going any further forward than he usually does. Mascha did carry the ball out from deep against Toulouse which was good to see, but I dont think we can expect Gerrard-esk type runs from the little Argie. Its not in either of their styles to play this way.

I personally would feel that Momo would be a better option for this game either alongside Xabi or Mascha, probably Mascha in all honesty. Because we know Momo will chase, and hunt the ball down further upfield, and with him and Mascha in the middle the pair of them would be at the heels of the Chelsea midfielders hardly allowing them time on the ball.

That said I think Gerrard will play, but if he didnt and either two of the three mentioned before play in the middle. Then I think it should be a certainty that Babel should start ahead of Riise on the left flank. Pace and creativity has to come from somewhere in midfield and with Mascha, momo,Xabi and Riise we dont have that. Babel and Pennat on either wing for me to help out the forwards much more, as we saw them really starve of decent service against Toulouse.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Generally, I agree with you, mate.

Which is why I qualified that particular bit with the need for proper wingers. We'd have to modify opur approach play for sure as you're right in saying that we wouldn't be able to expect either Masch or Xabi to provide central penetration that we'd get from Gerrard. To be honest, even with Momo, we wouldn't get that.

But we've played with Gerrard out wide before with Momo and Xabi in the centre and we still do ok though it's not my favourite formation by any means. I think Masch and Xabi would be better equipped together. Remember that Xabi has the ability to play the deep laying playmaker (not to open up the can of worms regarding terminology again ... :D) role. We'd need incisive penetration in the middle in a slightly different manner... No barnstorming charges but a more measured approach. I feel though that this approach would require genuine guile and pace down the flanks and right now I'm not sure if we have that yet... Maybe with Youssi and Babel.... Pennant, imo, just doesn't have the "smarts" to do it.

It'll be tough certainly but interesting no less.
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:35 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Thats my opinion anyway.

Which is why I qualified that particular bit with the need for proper wingers. We'd have to modify opur approach play for sure as you're right in saying that we wouldn't be able to expect either Masch or Xabi to provide central penetration that we'd get from Gerrard. To be honest, even with Momo, we wouldn't get that.

But we've played with Gerrard out wide before with Momo and Xabi in the centre and we still do ok though it's not my favourite formation by any means. I think Masch and Xabi would be better equipped together. Remember that Xabi has the ability to play the deep laying playmaker (not to open up the can of worms regarding terminology again ... :D) role. We'd need incisive penetration in the middle in a slightly different manner... No barnstorming charges but a more measured approach. I feel though that this approach would require genuine guile and pace down the flanks and right now I'm not sure if we have that yet... Maybe with Youssi and Babel.... Pennant, imo, just doesn't have the "smarts" to do it.

Yeah you could be right there ConnO'var in the sense that Xabi will be playing the 'deep lying plamaker' role. Thus spreading the play out to both flanks and trying to make something happen with his range of passing.

But like at the Bridge in CL game, Chelsea IMO suffercated Alonos almost and didnt allow him time or the options when on the ball. I think its a lot easier to stop Xabi playing a 'playmaking' role of course than it is to stop Gerrard bursting through the middle.

I dont know really but who ever was the midfield pairing without Gerrard of course, I'd be inclined to play Momo alongside them, whether its Xabi or Mascha. As both Mascha and Xabi do take up similar positions on the field.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:35 am

username wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

The weight wont do much, i mean hes ganna be on one foot while running. If he couldn't stand on it, he wouldn't be playing.

True.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:01 am

Bamaga man wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:

Thats my opinion anyway.

Yeah you could be right there ConnO'var in the sense that Xabi will be playing the 'deep lying plamaker' role. Thus spreading the play out to both flanks and trying to make something happen with his range of passing.

But like at the Bridge in CL game, Chelsea IMO suffercated Alonos almost and didnt allow him time or the options when on the ball. I think its a lot easier to stop Xabi playing a 'playmaking' role of course than it is to stop Gerrard bursting through the middle.

I dont know really but who ever was the midfield pairing without Gerrard of course, I'd be inclined to play Momo alongside them, whether its Xabi or Mascha. As both Mascha and Xabi do take up similar positions on the field.

Good point bout the chelsea game when they stifled Xabi out..... forgot bout that. You ma ybe right that Xabi may need a little more protection when partnering Masch. When Xabi's with Gerrard, the situation is harder as it's kinda tough to press both central midfielders so the oppo tends to focus more on Stevie and leaves Xabi to do his thing....

Tough decision facing Rafa and I'd say it'll largely depend on whom we play..... Gods! I hate to be in a situation like that... Generally agree with peewee's point bout putting your best 11 out there and let the other team worry about it.... But in this case, it looks like "if needs be".....

Still no point worrying too much bout it I suppose.... We'll have to see how long Gerrard needs to rest.

Who knows? Maybe Rafa'll pull another surpise and use Lucas instead? If that boy shines (as I believe he can), our central midfield is gonna be embarrassed with an abundance of riches....
ConnO'var

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:22 am

Bamaga man wrote:ConnO'var I dont think it would be that interesting to watch Xabi and Mascha play in the middle together. IMO both will play their usual defensive roles. When they played together in the middle before there was nothing really creative or attacking about the pairs game plan.

Thats my opinion anyway.

I can't believe some people on here thinks alonso doesn't have creativity in his play... IMO he's a veron-esque play maker who can pull the strings with his variety of long and short passes...

In the season we won the champions league... when gerrard was out against Juventus, alonso put in a magnificent performance with his passes... he basically won us that tie...

I would like to know what is your definition of creative play? IMO, alonso when playing with gerrard is instructed to play a bit more defensive (which he is good at too)... that's the reason why he seems to be a defensive player. Of course he's not an attacking midfielder mind you... but that doesn't mean he's not creative... he's a deep lying play maker ... and I'd rather play alonso and masherano if gerrard's not available than momo and masherano...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lucky » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 am

ConnO'var wrote:Who knows? Maybe Rafa'll pull another surpise and use Lucas instead? If that boy shines (as I believe he can), our central midfield is gonna be embarrassed with an abundance of riches....

Oh, Lucas, yeah, almost forgot he could be one of our options, but for such a big game?   :oops:
Really hope Gerrard could be fit for Chelsea game.
As for the friendly, who cares?
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:30 am

ConnO'var wrote:You ma ybe right that Xabi may need a little more protection when partnering Masch.

I can't see how mascherano cannot provide what sissoko does plus alot more...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:48 am

maguskwt wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:ConnO'var I dont think it would be that interesting to watch Xabi and Mascha play in the middle together. IMO both will play their usual defensive roles. When they played together in the middle before there was nothing really creative or attacking about the pairs game plan.

Thats my opinion anyway.

I can't believe some people on here thinks alonso doesn't have creativity in his play... IMO he's a veron-esque play maker who can pull the strings with his variety of long and short passes...

In the season we won the champions league... when gerrard was out against Juventus, alonso put in a magnificent performance with his passes... he basically won us that tie...

I would like to know what is your definition of creative play? IMO, alonso when playing with gerrard is instructed to play a bit more defensive (which he is good at too)... that's the reason why he seems to be a defensive player. Of course he's not an attacking midfielder mind you... but that doesn't mean he's not creative... he's a deep lying play maker ... and I'd rather play alonso and masherano if gerrard's not available than momo and masherano...

Creative wise I think Xabi is too one dimensional and can only offer his passing abilities to start a move off. After that he doesnt look to get forward, run with the ball or even score.

Dont get me wrong he is a classy player, but creativity isnt his strongest point, as neither is his fitness or pace.

But the last two dont really matter to much as Alonso is a very intelligent player, which is why he's highly regarded in his positional awareness especially when defending and with out the ball.

I remember the Juve game, that was two seasons ago and he was MotM, but when was the last time your saw him having a game like that ?

He was immense that night.

But a team like Chelsea have the number on him I think, as he really only offers a range of passing when creating something, but not a lot else.

To cut a long story short I wouldnt play Mascha and Alonso together I'd play either one with Momo. Thats my opinion and of course it could be wrong. The main reason I say this, is because if you start with Mascha and Xabi, its almost telling Chelsea.... 'Hey come and attack us' with Momo in the side I think we'd gain more territorial advantage, and considering we're the home team I'd like to see us attack them, than rather the other way round.

All that said and done I believe if Gerrard wasnt fit Rafa would play Mascha and Alonso togther against Chelsea anyway.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:06 am

Bamaga man wrote:Creative wise I think Xabi is too one dimensional and can only offer his passing abilities to start a move off. After that he doesnt look to get forward, run with the ball or even score.

Dont get me wrong he is a classy player, but creativity isnt his strongest point, as neither is his fitness or pace.

But the last two dont really matter to much as Alonso is a very intelligent player, which is why he's highly regarded in his positional awareness especially when defending and with out the ball.

I remember the Juve game, that was two seasons ago and he was MotM, but when was the last time your saw him having a game like that ?

He was immense that night.

But a team like Chelsea have the number on him I think, as he really only offers a range of passing when creating something, but not a lot else.

To cut a long story short I wouldnt play Mascha and Alonso together I'd play either one with Momo. Thats my opinion and of course it could be wrong.

I believe if Gerrard wasnt fit Rafa would play Mascha and Alonso togther against Chelsea.

fair enough...I think it's a matter of different definitions when it comes to what a creative player is...

IMO creative players are players who can dribble and hence open up defenses like diego maradona, ronaldinho or players who can pass and open up defences like veron, riquelme, bebeto...Stevie G to me is a half creative (as he has vision and good long passing as well) and half modern athletic player... in other words he's more of an all-round player...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 am

veron, riquelme, bebeto and Alonso

Pick the odd one out ?
66-1112520797

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:15 am

Bamaga man wrote:
veron, riquelme, bebeto and Alonso

Pick the odd one out ?

well... :D ... as I've said Alonso is the spanish veron + defensive qualities...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion