Gerrard and sissoko - Can they play together?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby curly_whirly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:53 am

OK, here is my question, can Gerrard and Sissoko play together, in the centre of park.

There has been a long huge debate if Gerrard and Lampard can play together; however, it’s pretty fair to say that they can not. They are very similar players, apart from one thing; Gerrard has better defensive qualities than Lampard and therefore gets placed by England in the defensive holding role. We all know that is not SG best position, and he thrives on getting forward.

From last nights performance (which we all know what rubbish), the big thing i noticed was that Sissoko was playing higher up the park leaving SG too deep and playing the holding role.

Now, i know from his days at Valencia, Sissoko was initially a forward until Rafa was forced to make a change and played Sissoko in the defensive role and he thrived on it, and was instantly converted. So Sissoko has got his attacking side. But his first couple of seasons with us, he was renowned for playing the defensive role very well and leaving the likes of SG to go forward.

So, is he slowly going back to his attacking side, esp. after his goal against Sunderland, leaving Gerrard to play the defensive holding role?

If that’s the case, i can't see how either of them can play together in the centre. For SG to play to his full potential, which is attacking as well as tracking back (not just sitting infront of the defence), then he needs to play with Mascherano alongside him, or even Alonso. Same goes for Sissoko, if he's playing the Gerrard type of role.
- Curls -

*Hail Rafa - Long May He Continue!!*

Question - how can you start a topic? do you have to have posted a certain number of posts before you can submit a brand new topic? Also how do u add pictures to signatures?
curly_whirly

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:54 am

One game ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 am

I don't believe they can, one game together or not, I have seen enough of both on numerous occasions to make my judgement.
account deleted by request

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:16 pm

They can. But they need to adapt. If Stevie is playing with Xabi, he knows that there are going to be long range passes, sensible defensive positioning and competant tackling. All of this gives him license to push up a bit and relax his defensive duties so that he can concentrate on driving the team forward. With Momo, it's different. He is one of the strongest tacklers in the game, but the nature of his tackles mean that someone, ideally his midfield partner needs to be around to take the ball from the challenge. He doesn't have Alonso's passing ability and he tends to play much shorter balls or run himself which means that Stevie has to know what to do in these instances. Equally, Gerrard's game is all important and players like Alonso, Sissoko, Mascherano and Leiva have to know the best way to compliment the captain's game. Alonso is the only one who has really mastered this so far.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:23 pm

I think a lot of us are asking can Sissoko actually play football after one or two of his recent performances.  :p

In all seriousness though Sissoko really is lacking any kind of composure and discipline on the pitch. Against Marseilles he was all over the place and I think this deffo impacted on Gerrard's game cos he had remain in more of the holding role to compensate (don't know if this was planned, I bloody well hope it wasn't). For Gerrard to be at his most destructive and best he needs a disciplined partner alongside him like Alonso, Mascherano or Barry (for England), this is no big secret. Sissoko can play that role we all know he can but just lately he hasn't looked anywhere near disciplined enough for it and that I fear comes as a result of that dreaded 'R' word - 'ROTATION'.  :angry: 
I think it was CIGGY in the match reaction thread last night that said something along the lines of because he's not guaranteed a run in the team he's trying too hard and making his performance worse.
Given a run of games in the side together they may just be able to play together, assuming Sissoko can regain some discipline but when you've got a much more effective player like Mascherano fit and Alonso due back at the beginning of next month I can't see this happening anytime soon.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:24 pm

sissoko can attack?

why have i never seen this
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:26 pm

When I first heard he started out as an attacker my reaction was ??? accompanied by the word BULLSHIT.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:28 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:When I first heard he started out as an attacker my reaction was ??? accompanied by the word BULLSHIT.

exactly

momo is terrible going forward

his clumsy,gangly runs forward are an embarassment
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:31 pm

s@int wrote:I don't believe they can, one game together or not, I have seen enough of both on numerous occasions to make my judgement.

I see where you are coming from, and I agree it's not the best pair you can pick around. However, I think they can do much better than yesterday.

Yesterday the swapped roles often. And Gerrard does know doing the holding role, but then, you have him doing "unsung" tasks that can be fulfilled by others, and he's not doing what he does best

Sissoko is not comfortable as a holding mid, he lacks positioning, he's not good at headers, and he lacks calmness with the ball.

But can they play together? Yes they can. Yesterday we struggled without the ball, but not because they were picked only, but because Liverpool didn't what they do best: press together, and press with all the lines coordinated. There were much distance between lines, it was a poor game.

In a nutshell, most compatible pair? No, they aren't.  Can they play together well? Yes they can, but with a stronger team overall.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:33 pm

if sissoko struggles as a holding mid then what exactly are his good qualities?

because a rabid dog is also energetic and bites at ankles
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:39 pm

LittleHobo wrote:if sissoko struggles as a holding mid then what exactly are his good qualities?

because a rabid dog is also energetic and bites at ankles

Agreed, lets ship him out.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Most will probably disagree with me but I don't think Sissoko plays holding midfielder , he plays midfield destroyer higher up the pitch. Even when he played with Zenden, it was Zenden that took on the holding role. Last night for me it was Gerrard that played the holding role.

I think a midfield pairing of Gerrard and Sissoko makes the Lampard and Gerrard pairing look like a match made in heaven!
account deleted by request

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:44 pm

s@int wrote:Most will probably disagree with me but I don't think Sissoko plays holding midfielder , he plays midfield destroyer higher up the pitch. Even when he played with Zenden, it was Zenden that took on the holding role. Last night for me it was Gerrard that played the holding role.

I think a midfield pairing of Gerrard and Sissoko makes the Lampard and Gerrard pairing look like a match made in heaven!

being fair though how can rafa possibly allow that to happen

gerrard holding mid and sissoko (a man who cant pass, shoot or create) as attacking mid?
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm

also why has rafa replaced one south american winger (gonz) with one of similar ability but with less pace and longer hair?

its madness
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:01 pm

They can play together as long as Sissoko stops getting delusions of granduer and plays to his strengths. He can tackle, pressurise, force errors, win the ball, and pass up to distances of 10-15 yards, aslong as there is clear pitch between him and his team mate, and that is all. I agree with Saint he is not a holding midfielder, holding being the operative word....he can't. He is a destroyer and should concentrate on that alone.

To do that it requires immense strength of character, for example Makalele gets the ball and short passes immediatly, he doesn't attempt Hollywood passes, or pinpoint through balls, even when they are on, why? because he accepts he is not good enough to pull it off consistently. Something which Momo has yet to accept, imo.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion