Gerrard  alonso - Whats your pick?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:14 am

over the last 12 months, there has been one big difference between lampard and gerrard. CONSISTENCY.

i agree that lampard has continually improved, but this has been helped by the fact that he's playing with world class players in every position around him, and he's also never been injured. gerrard can't seem to play a full season without getting niggling injuries.

gerrard at his best, ie. leverkusen away, milan (2nd half) is the best midfielder on the planet and on a level that lampard can only dream of reaching. however, over the past year, these great performances have been matched by several shocking ones. lampard on the other hand, just never has a bad game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am

joependo wrote:
Lampard over Gerrard any day for me.
Are you a phyco or what,but you are a chelsea supporter so you would say that.But Gerrard is just better than any of your players.

98% of supporters will always rate their player higher.

But im not one of those.

I have my reasons and i do actually believe Lampard is a better player than Gerrard.
Chelsea forever.

Postby joependo » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:18 am

over the last 12 months, there has been one big difference between lampard and gerrard. CONSISTENCY.

i agree that lampard has continually improved, but this has been helped by the fact that he's playing with world class players in every position around him, and he's also never been injured. gerrard can't seem to play a full season without getting niggling injuries.

gerrard at his best, ie. leverkusen away, milan (2nd half) is the best midfielder on the planet and on a level that lampard can only dream of reaching. however, over the past year, these great performances have been matched by several shocking ones. lampard on the other hand, just never has a bad game.
Last season was bad for him because he was unsettled with the transfer rumours between chelsea and us.This season he will be phonomenal aand e will be better than any of your players.I bet you any money
joependo

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:20 am

stmichael wrote:over the last 12 months, there has been one big difference between lampard and gerrard. CONSISTENCY.

Milan 2nd half? Match that to Bayern home full game buddy!

Where was Gerrard in the 1st half?

Lampard had an OUTSTANDING game Bayern home, Barca home, Barca away and many many others.

I am not and have never said Gerrard isnt world class. He is and he deserves it.

But if you have to compare, Lampard has improved consistently and continues to improve. HE has good game after good game.

Yes he plays with world class players around him and that has helped in his developement.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:22 am

joependo wrote:

Last season was bad for him because he was unsettled with the transfer rumours between chelsea and us.This season he will be phonomenal aand e will be better than any of your players.I bet you any money

A world class talent cannot use a pitty excuse as a transfer rumour, to unsettle his entire season.

He was good for a few games, but overall had a poor season.

Anyway, he is settled now and i wish him all the best and im sure he will play well this season.
Chelsea forever.

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:29 am

Alonso has better skill and tactical ability and his reading of the game is superb.

Gerrard is a far greater athlete (surely now he's one of the top athletic players in the world?), a better shot, better in the air and has almost the same level of skill as Alonso, but lacks Alonso's brains.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:36 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:Gerrard is not more tactically aware then lampard. You are dreaming my friend!

mmm...not dreaming

mr mourinho has said in close conversation that he rated gerrard higher than lampard. that came from a mate of a mate who is a chelsea fan, who in fact overheard a conversation between kenyon and mourinho. interesting fact and true.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:37 am

The Return of the Judge wrote:mr mourinho has said in close conversation that he rated gerrard higher than lampard. that came from a mate of a mate who is a chelsea fan, who in fact overheard a conversation between kenyon and mourinho. interesting fact and true.

you know ashley cole? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 am

Haha nice try
Chelsea forever.

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:00 pm

stmichael wrote:
The Return of the Judge wrote:mr mourinho has said in close conversation that he rated gerrard higher than lampard. that came from a mate of a mate who is a chelsea fan, who in fact overheard a conversation between kenyon and mourinho. interesting fact and true.

you know ashley cole? :D

no stmike, i was tapping up cheryl tweedy, whilst coley was at that hotel  :D , she told me  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:08 pm

Alonso, although 3 years younger, is the more complete with the ball. His posiotning is good. He's good at spotting space to stand in to receive a pass. But he's got big hips that makes him a slow runner.  Gerrard is the more complete athlete who can run alot and has a powerful shot.

Tackling, for fans the slide tackle has a visible effect that makes a player look committed regardless of success. but i would argue that intercepting the ball, by seeing the pass made by the oppenent early, is a harder skill and often goes unnoticed.

But their general style compliments the team in matches -Alonso can slow down a game by retaining possession when we are leading and Gerrard can speed up a game with a quick passto the striker when we losing.

in sayng all this, Its better to compare them really when ALonso has been at the club longer as Gerrard has been here all his football life so its unfair to compare thier influence.
109-1093441336

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:Gerrard had a bad season last time.

I disagree! How can a man who spearheaded our champion’s league victory have "had a bad season"!!??

Alonso is a dream signing but he lacks the ability to lift the team when we need it and to make possession turn into goals. If you look at the games where either Gerrard or Alonso has played the games where Gerrard has been playing speak for themselves. Alonso still has some improvement to his game to make. When Gerrard And Alonso work together its a dream, for once Gerrard can be safe in knowing he has a capable midfielder behind him to protect the back 4 whilst he goes on his rampage.

As for Lampard, I know there is always going to be bias here, but if England fans were to choose either lampard OR gerrard I am confident Gerrard would be the option. He's more versatile, creative, a born leader and mostly he has an instant impact on a game. Lampard is great at his job but not as influential as Gerrard. Look at Gerrards performance in the Champions league cup final; in extra time he was basically our RB! Not being funny but I can never see Lampard being the calibre of player Steven Gerrard is
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:16 pm

Gerrard above all else is Talismatic, and that is why, he is in my opinion the complete footballer.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:19 pm

I,ve said it before.....am i the only one who is utterly :censored: off with all the chelsea talk on here
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:20 pm

Lampard is large and unhealthy. He scores through deflections and then does an impression of Raul. Pathetic.
109-1093441336

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion