Game review - And ratings

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Bolton ended Liverpool's winning streak by drawing them 2-2 at home. Bolton didn't do much but they took advantage of sloppy defending and lack of pace in Liverpools back 4. Gerrard was Liverpools star man once again terrorising the home team for 90 minutes.

Reina 6/5 Not his best game. Shouldn't have tried to hold the ball but well, he got to it before one of his teammates decided to kick it out of his arms

Finnan 6 Outpaced a couple of times. Need to be more solid if he wants to keep his place in the team.

Carra 6/7 Maybe I'm just expecting to much of him. Saved Hyypia a couple of times but he could not block the cross for the second goal after Finnan and Hyypia was beaten.

Hyypia 3 A shocker. Out of position. Outpaced and all over the place for 90 minutes. Looked like he wanted Bolton to win the game. Miraculously kicked the ball out of Reina's safe hands for the first goal and caught in the middle of nowhere on the second. Bad distribution and slowed the build up play down by using too much time on the ball.

Traore 5 Why play him when Riise is fit? Well, it backfired. On the positive side he almost cleared up Hyypia's mess on Bolton's second. But he was two tenths of a second late.

Hamann 6 Did what was expected. Bossed midfield but we did not get the creative spark we needed from the german. Don't know if he and sissoko should play at the same time.

Sissoko 7 A little bit more aggresive and physical than Hamann. Good ball winner and a red fighter.

Gerrard 8 Our best player. Amazing strenght, pace and composure. Won us a penalty and converted it himself. Set up noumerous dangerous attacks and terrorised bolton. Looking like a complete midfielder at present form.

Kewell 7 Almost Harry. Almost. Just the last 5% match fitness lacking before you are back where we wan't you to be.

Pongolle 6/5 Tried, but failed.

Crouch 7 The giant did good. Held the ball up real well and won many headers. A real dangerman he is.

Subs: Garcia won us one point today with a fantastic left footed volley. He can be frustrating to watch and he is lacking the body and toughness to really dominate games, but his creativity and intelligence-->  priceless. Cisse came real close to winning us the game with a good header and Alonso added that little bit of creativity we lacked in the first 60 minutes.

Disappointed that we did not win, happy that we did not lose. Since we had to fight our way back into the game two times I suppose a draw was a good result. A real shame though that Chelsea never drop points. The premiership is slowly drifting away.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:27 pm

Yup, hyypia's 2nd very bad display after the chelsea game. I think we should get 2 new centrebacks instead of 1 because i can't see him getting any better..plus, he's past his best / old.... :(
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:30 pm

red_guy wrote:Yup, hyypia's 2nd very bad display after the chelsea game. I think we should get 2 new centrebacks instead of 1 because i can't see him getting any better..plus, he's past his best / old.... :(

wtf.......Hypia has been immense in the last 10 games who have you been watching.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:34 pm

what i meant was in a long term..anyway, he's still a very good CB, couldnt agree with you more.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:35 pm

sami hyypia AND pepe reina are excused imo.

they both have been IMMENSE recently. and yeah, both made mistakes. what makes it worse is they both had a stinker at the same time.but....
it happens and it always will happen. so get over it, they will.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 pm

we were :censored: 2day thats it
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Erica » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:38 pm

red_guy wrote:Yup, hyypia's 2nd very bad display after the chelsea game. I think we should get 2 new centrebacks instead of 1 because i can't see him getting any better..plus, he's past his best / old.... :(

:( I do not think it is fair to crucify a player for just one bad game.
He was awful today OK., but let us not forget his wonderful previous games.
Erica

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:07 pm

drummerphil wrote:

wtf.......Hypia has been immense in the last 10 games who have you been watching.

i agree phil, he has been immense in the last 10 games, but sometimes it happens, Reina and Hyppia are only human beings!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pablinho » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:11 pm

any link to watch the goals ?
CD Castellon - Spain
pablinho

Postby teamleader1 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Erica wrote:

:( I do not think it is fair to crucify a player for just one bad game.
He was awful today OK., but let us not forget his wonderful previous games.

He was below his best today, and to be honest he never looks comfortable when DT is playing, dont forget he has played 4 games in 8 days - his standards have been excellent for a while now and one game isnte the end of the world,
A point at Bolton is good considering the week its been-

And before anyone says that Chelsea took max pts remember that only 2 of their players played in all 4 xmas games
teamleader1

Postby oakton » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:15 pm

with Traore, sometimes he just doesn't care about the LB position, he runs up and takes him ages to get back into HIS position, saw a few times Hypia and Jamie had to help him out on the left, this guy is a liability!
oakton

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:16 pm

BENITEZ DISAPPOINTED WITH DRAW
Steve Hunter 02 January 2006 

Rafael Benitez admitted he was very disappointed with the 2-2 draw at Bolton Wanderers and felt Liverpool deserved to win the game. 
Benitez said it was difficult at times to play against Bolton but felt his team played very well in the second half and showed great character to twice come back from a goal down.

"I am very disappointed because we did a lot of things to win the match and we deserved to win," said Benitez.

"Bolton are very difficult to play against and they had a lot of free-kicks and throw-ins and you can't play the football you want to play. I like to play football as well as possible and in the second half we were very good and had a strong character to come from behind.

"We made a mistake for the first goal but we did well in the second half. We had some players tired and I tried to use fresh legs but I put on Luis Garcia and Xabi Alonso and they did well for the equaliser. I am very disappointed though we didn't win the game."

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:19 pm

we did actually dominate the game, but Bolton's phyiscal presence helped them alot
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:36 pm

what i wanna know is, West brom at home was clearly gonna be a much easier game than today so why didnt we rest Alonso riise garcia cisse then?
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Glofut » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:56 pm

West Brom at home wasnt easy at all, m8, and I thought we were gonna draw that one tbh. WB have had some decent performances recently, and I think we're letting our ambitions run away with us here.

Weve had the busiest season of ANY European team bar none up to now, with 1st round qual for the CL and the trip to Japan. We've had a GREAT run --- one which, barring Chelsea, wouldve had us gunning for the Championship with United this season. All considered, we're doing incredibly well.

In Rafa (no offence m8, I mean the real one lol) we must trust.
Faith is a passionate intuition.
Glofut

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion