Gabriel milito - Looks class

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:29 am

how is it going to help the club if he doesnt want to play for them.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby captainduck » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:49 am

i wonder if we could afford to get upson, milito, gallas, kuyt, crouch, AND figo.. we would have an unstoppable team
captainduck

Postby babu » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:13 am

The Canadian Red Army wrote:how is it going to help the club if he doesnt want to play for them.

I don't think it matters. If they can completely stall the transfer he will play for them. I think this happens a lot more often than you may think. players desiring a change but forced to stay and vice versa- see baros.

I tried not to get my hopes up, but i confess that i thought he was going to come. now it seems that is absolutly no chance. will have to just accept it, like i did with figo.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am

babu wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:how is it going to help the club if he doesnt want to play for them.

I don't think it matters. If they can completely stall the transfer he will play for them. I think this happens a lot more often than you may think. players desiring a change but forced to stay and vice versa- see baros.

I tried not to get my hopes up, but i confess that i thought he was going to come. now it seems that is absolutly no chance. will have to just accept it, like i did with figo.

Babu is right in saying that we should not get to much hopes until the transfer is done. Now with the asking price going up, i think that the transfer will be more complicated.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kaz the kopite » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:12 pm

just ann idea but why don`t we offer baros as a make weight in the deal and only pay 4 million! :idea
I am the one and only!
kaz the kopite

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:25 am

I don't know anything about this fella or how good he is, I have read that he had been impressive at Zaragoza. Here is an article by someone who claimed to have been following his progress since 1999 and he has some reservations (from the BBC website):

The Milito enigma
By Tim Vickery
BBC Sport in South America 

I've been following Liverpool transfer target Gabriel Milito ever since the South American Under-20 Championships of January 1999 - and six-and-a-half years later I still can't make up my mind about him.

Real Zaragoza's Argentine defender - 25 in September - has undoubted class.

He reads the game well, possesses excellent timing in the tackle and can set attacks in motion with accurate passes. But the doubts remain.

He is not particularly quick, tall or strong. The lack of pace, height and power poses a serious question; is Milito that most dangerous of footballing animals, a centre-back who looks better than he is?

Clearly I am not alone with my doubts.

Two years ago Milito found himself in the middle of a tug of war of internal Real Madrid politics.

One faction wanted to sign him from Independiente, one faction was against. The latter won, and the deal fell through.

The blame was placed on a serious knee injury that Milito had suffered two years earlier.

It was an excuse. Milito had already shown that he had made a complete recovery with Independiente, and has continued to do so in Spain with Zaragoza.

Milito, then, is fit enough. But is he good enough to be called a genuinely world class defender?

Even his mentor, Argentina coach José Pekerman, seems not to be entirely sure. Pekerman groomed Milito through the youth ranks, and raved about the youngster as he made his way up.

When Pekerman became senior coach late last year it was assumed that Milito's international career would take off.

In fact he has been used sparingly. He featured when Argentina fielded reserve sides away to Bolivia and Ecuador, and had a shaky game when given a chance at home to Venezuela.

He hardly had a look in during the recent Confederations Cup even though the first choice duo of Coloccini and Heinze both had poor tournaments.

And when he has played he has frequently been brought off as Pekerman seeks to change the team's formation.

He is a long, long, way from making himself indispensable for Argentina. A successful move to the European champions would clearly help.

Definition time is approaching for Gabriel Milito. Raised on Hansen and Lawrenson, the Anfield crowd know how to spot a top-class defender.

If Milito can win them over then I'm prepared to bury my doubts.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:55 am

I trust Rafa more than some journalist.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 am

Yep, that's the thing about journalism. Their views are either for or against but they have the platform to express themselves and be heard, the reach of their voices and opinions depends on the reach/popularity/accessibility of the news agencies they work for.

For me, I have absolutely no clue about this guy but in the past there were relatively small central defenders who excelled - Paul Parker was one. I just hope that any player Rafa buys will do the job and excel.

I love Liverpool much more than any single player and just like the most ardent fan, I just want us to be successful. Liverpool have a very unique fans who while want the absolute best, are tolerant and very patient lot, unlike the mobs who support other clubs. That's why I enjoy this forum, most of the threads and comments are enjoyable to read.

YNWA.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:08 am

Well said, young man. At least there are some of us who support the club, not the individual!(and I'm not having a go at any1!!!!!)
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:27 am

Lando man, how "old" are you?

FYI, I have been a fan since 1975-76 when I happened to be in England with my family when my dad was doing his post-grad studies in East Anglia. The kids at school all supported Norwich, the locan team and used to have a real go at me for being 'against the grain' and supporting Liverpool. Of course, I had the last laugh when we won the Championship and the UEFA Cup that year.

In 1988, I returned to England for my own studies and remained a Liverpool fan all along. I really loved Kenny and I still think that he is the greatest Red of all as he excelled as a player and as a manager. I am really sad at the demise of the Big Red Machine as a force in football since Kenny left.

But really, emotions are unique in that you can't force yourself to change allegience to a more successful team because your heart strings are with Liverpool. I admire Arsenal's beautiful football but I don't find any affinity with them because I love Liverpool, through thick and thin. I suffered greatly watching the games during the Souness era and the Houllier era because we were so dire. The Evans era was not that bad as Liverpool were entertaining but inconsistent, never dire. Benithez has given me a lot of hope because here is a guy who has been proven as a winner, very intellignt and very tactically astute. In between the inconsistencies of the past season, Liverpool have shown the basics of the passing game which was the hallmark of the Paisley era, but abandoned by Houller.

I have been rambling on a bit, but perhaps I suspect that I am not that young in relation to you, but very good to have decent comments and threads here, a site I visit every day except when I am outstation or overseas.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:38 am

My 1st preference would be gallas. Then ledley king. But these 2 will surely be overpriced.......So i guess milito would be a good buy for 6 or 7 million pounds...anything more, bid for gallas...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:43 am

Gallas is very quick and has good EPL experience, it is just a pity that Maureen prefers Carvalho before him. He can also play "out of position" competently and because of this and the fact that we are a rival in the EPL, Chelski won't likely release him.

He could help us by sulking and refusing to train completely but Chelski has the holding power to keep him until the end of his contract or for another season at least.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:43 am

The problem is whether Chelsea are willing to sell him to a rival[that being us]
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby RED ANT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 am

azriahmad wrote:Gallas is very quick and has good EPL experience, it is just a pity that Maureen prefers Carvalho before him. He can also play "out of position" competently and because of this and the fact that we are a rival in the EPL, Chelski won't likely release him.

He could help us by sulking and refusing to train completely but Chelski has the holding power to keep him until the end of his contract or for another season at least.

That's a big gamble during world cup season so i wouldn't expect it.
RED ANT

Postby matrix » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:54 am

getting milito will be rafas next step im hearing they want 10 million for him at least 2 million 2 much but we need him, if not gallas would do nicely but would chelski sell to us.

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion