Future managers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 am

By Rory Smith 11:00PM GMT 03 Jan 2011

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson could be replaced by Ralf Rangnick, the former manager of Hoffenheim
Liverpool’s fans may know who they want to replace Roy Hodgson, but the club’s owners are evidently less certain.

Kenny Dalglish seems the obvious choice to return to the post he last occupied 19 years ago, given the vociferous backing from the Kop he has already received. Ralf Rangnick, the little-known former manager of German side Hoffenheim, is a little more left field.
It would be easy to characterise the 52 year-old as a continental nobody, to mock his previous engagements at the likes of Ulm and Reutlingen in his homeland and his brief playing stint at Sussex County League side Southwick FC as evidence of how inappropriate his CV is for the task of taking over English football’s most decorated club.
Yet his work at Hoffenheim qualifies him perfectly. After comparatively unsuccessful spells at Stuttgart and Schalke, Rangnick, nicknamed ‘The Professor’ by a German football establishment suspicious of his modernity, took the tiny village club — admittedly bankrolled by the billionaire Dieter Hopp — from the German third division to the cusp of Europe.
His Hoffenheim side played thrilling, rapid football — an offensive 4-3-3 with two wingers, Demba Ba and Chinedu Obasi, employed purely offensively — which took Germany by storm and by surprise; he sought out bargains, like striker Vedad Ibisevic; and he invested heavily in youth, preferring to sign players between the ages of 17 and 24. He is fluent in English, having studied in Sussex in his youth.
On Saturday, he left Hoffenheim, together with his assistant, ostensibly over the sale of defender Gustavo Luiz to Bayern Munich.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:By Rory Smith 11:00PM GMT 03 Jan 2011

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson could be replaced by Ralf Rangnick, the former manager of Hoffenheim
Liverpool’s fans may know who they want to replace Roy Hodgson, but the club’s owners are evidently less certain.

Kenny Dalglish seems the obvious choice to return to the post he last occupied 19 years ago, given the vociferous backing from the Kop he has already received. Ralf Rangnick, the little-known former manager of German side Hoffenheim, is a little more left field.
It would be easy to characterise the 52 year-old as a continental nobody, to mock his previous engagements at the likes of Ulm and Reutlingen in his homeland and his brief playing stint at Sussex County League side Southwick FC as evidence of how inappropriate his CV is for the task of taking over English football’s most decorated club.
Yet his work at Hoffenheim qualifies him perfectly. After comparatively unsuccessful spells at Stuttgart and Schalke, Rangnick, nicknamed ‘The Professor’ by a German football establishment suspicious of his modernity, took the tiny village club — admittedly bankrolled by the billionaire Dieter Hopp — from the German third division to the cusp of Europe.
His Hoffenheim side played thrilling, rapid football — an offensive 4-3-3 with two wingers, Demba Ba and Chinedu Obasi, employed purely offensively — which took Germany by storm and by surprise; he sought out bargains, like striker Vedad Ibisevic; and he invested heavily in youth, preferring to sign players between the ages of 17 and 24. He is fluent in English, having studied in Sussex in his youth.
On Saturday, he left Hoffenheim, together with his assistant, ostensibly over the sale of defender Gustavo Luiz to Bayern Munich.

mate, did you read the article I posted above? very interesting overview on that Ralf fella
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 am

metalhead wrote:mate, did you read the article I posted above? very interesting overview on that Ralf fella

I did MH, a long winded piece but well worth the read ....cheers
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:03 am

Kenny seems to obviously be the logical choice for an immediate replacement. But, I shudder to think what the Benitez cherubs on here will be spouting when the results don't come thick and fast. Kenny's been out of the game for a long time and it will take a certain amount of time for him to get back in the swing of things.

I also don't understand the MON hate on here. It's ridiculous. The guys a good manager and has done well in the past. I reckon he'd be a good punt.

And Coyle? It seems to me that a few on here are copping for him simply cos he's a "British" manager. I'm impressed somewhat with his handling so far, but he'd be a big gamble to be honest.

However, feck all is going to really change as long as the team continue to play the rubbish football that they've been playing for the last year or so. We can blame managers all we like, but there's something really wrong going on, ON the pitch and it's difficult to put the finger on it.
tonyeh

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 am

tonyeh wrote:Kenny seems to obviously be the logical choice for an immediate replacement. But, I shudder to think what the Benitez cherubs on here will be spouting when the results don't come thick and fast. Kenny's been out of the game for a long time and it will take a certain amount of time for him to get back in the swing of things.

I also don't understand the MON hate on here. It's ridiculous. The guys a good manager and has done well in the past. I reckon he'd be a good punt.

And Coyle? It seems to me that a few on here are copping for him simply cos he's a "British" manager. I'm impressed somewhat with his handling so far, but he'd be a big gamble to be honest.

However, feck all is going to really change as long as the team continue to play the rubbish football that they've been playing for the last year or so. We can blame managers all we like, but there's something really wrong going on, ON the pitch and it's difficult to put the finger on it.

Flip side to the argument for Coyle being a gamble is the number of prople judging Villas Boas even though he only has about 50 games as a coach.

The Portuguese league isnt really that strong either. Benfica have gone back this season and Lisbon are non existent just now. Boavista have been wiped from memory and only Braga have come through. Porto are financially very strong and to be top of the league is no real triumph.

Coyle has been and cut his teeth at Falkirk and St Johnstone and then came south to manage Burnley. Doing well with all clubs he's been at. (Similar to Shanks, although not comparing the two men)

His tactically very astute and not as confrontational as old Whisky nose.

If FSG are looking for a young manager who will give us longevity, then we have to make Coyle our appointment.

Of course, players are to blame, but the formation and tactics lately have been very very questionable. I aint jumpping on no band wagon in championing for coyle. But, he's young, got prem experience, plays football the right way and fits perfect for the philosophy of the club that FSG are looking for.

Oh, and finally, MON is a orrible little :censored:. No chance to him
boodiddy1

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:55 am

I like Coyle a lot.  But I'll throw a couple of wrenches in here just for discussion's sake.

1) Can't see him leaving Bolton until after the season, He loves the club and would be a legend if he got them to a Europa League spot.

2). Would he come to us?  It would be a gamble for LFC to take a young manger still building his reputation.  Conversely it would also be a huge risk for him to make the big jump so early.  If he didn't do the job it could ruin his chance at ever getting a big job.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 pm

The Good Yank wrote:I like Coyle a lot.  But I'll throw a couple of wrenches in here just for discussion's sake.

1) Can't see him leaving Bolton until after the season, He loves the club and would be a legend if he got them to a Europa League spot.

2). Would he come to us?  It would be a gamble for LFC to take a young manger still building his reputation.  Conversely it would also be a huge risk for him to make the big jump so early.  If he didn't do the job it could ruin his chance at ever getting a big job.

Fair points Good Yank, but do we really need to get our new man in before end of season? Whats the rush? This season is a wash out, and to try to get the new man in and seeds of doubts be sown because he hasnt had instant or any success with the players at his disposal this season could be harmful.

Roy can see out the season. Commolli is picking the transfers and if :censored: really hit the fan then kenny can caretaker.

Secondly, if Coyle did :censored: it up, then he haas already :censored: it up at a big club. There's no bigger job IMO. Bringing the greatest club in the world back to the summit. That is the pinnacle.

There are risks with any appointment, but we honestly need to build a lasting ethic and none of these 3-5 year plans. they are wishy washy. Barca remodelled their club and look at the dividends they are getting now. Aresenal have remodelled over last 5-7 years and will probably very soon reap rewards. Similar to what Ajax did in early 90's and what Fergie also did.

We need a identity. The past 10 years, regardless of what we have won have not really had us as fans crowing from the rooftops about our play. Both Rafa and Houllier had success by playing mechanical like football. Brief moments of fluidity but nothing like our teams of the 80's, uniteds teams of 90's or arsenals teams of recent years.

Thats what we need. By appointng a young coach with good backing throughout, then the pass and move groove can come back home
boodiddy1

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm

tonyeh wrote:Kenny seems to obviously be the logical choice for an immediate replacement. But, I shudder to think what the Benitez cherubs on here will be spouting when the results don't come thick and fast. Kenny's been out of the game for a long time and it will take a certain amount of time for him to get back in the swing of things.

So "Benitez cherubs" are the ones who always disrespects managers eh? Don't be an idiot... some fans are intelligent enough to spot an unqualified manager... I am one of those who is always advocating Kenny to be our next manager... I was also a Rafa fan and I don't like Hodgson... so there you go...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:59 pm

there's a german journalist coming on the radio in a bit to give a bit more insight into the dortmund and hoffenheim managers, both of whom we are allegedly looking at. should be interesting.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I have a good feeling about Coyle ,I just think he could grow into  a legend at Anfield ... call it intuition but it just feels right :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Oh dear
The anti-Roys have come up with a short list for our next manager:
Ralf Rangnick-german nobody
Owen Coyle-scottish nobody
Kenny Dalglish-scottish used to be somebody
Martin Oniell-irish nobody
Is this the best we can look forward to?
Really chaps, this is the justification for Roy to stay
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:Oh dear

oh dear oh dear...

I'll give ya the first one cos I'm not familiar with him but come on, your a million miles off with the rest.

Kenny - nothing permanent but might just be able to pull us out of the mire we're in.

Owen Coyle - Scottish nobody? (a bit like 2 others past LFC managers I could name!) most exciting up and coming manager of our time, he's gonna be a legend somewhere, may as well be here!

MON - this is a finely balanced one for me. He might be what we need but for how long? until he asks for money gets knocked back then fuk's off. However, might just get us playing with some passion.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Lee J wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:Oh dear

oh dear oh dear...

I'll give ya the first one cos I'm not familiar with him but come on, your a million miles off with the rest.

Kenny - nothing permanent but might just be able to pull us out of the mire we're in.

Owen Coyle - Scottish nobody? (a bit like 2 others past LFC managers I could name!) most exciting up and coming manager of our time, he's gonna be a legend somewhere, may as well be here!

MON - this is a finely balanced one for me. He might be what we need but for how long? until he asks for money gets knocked back then fuk's off. However, might just get us playing with some passion.

???
Looks like youre in agreement to me?
Kenny- "might just be able to pull us out the mire..." nothing definite. Like I said
Owen Coyle- "most exciting up and coming manager of our time" nothing definite. Like I said
MON - "might be what we need...might just get us playing with some passion." nothing definite. Like I said.

These three would be a massive gamble and besides Kenny  none have the experience or credentials better than Hodgson.
Kenny has had no managerial experience for 15 years.
Coyle is a prospect, but wouldnt he be "out of his depth"?
MoN is a confrontational, egotistical, selfish, serial ship jumper and would definately be a step backwards
If we are seriously looking for candidates lets keep it real eh?
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Sorry I misinterpreted  :blush:
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:43 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:Owen Coyle- "most exciting up and coming manager of our time" nothing definite. Like I said

That description is a bit of a turn around given your interpretation of his ability in your earlier post
Scottish nobody .... I believe you said ?
maybe if you didn't alter  your opinions as often as the wind changes ...they may hold just a touch more credibility
Just a suggestion like .....

:laugh:
Get to specsavers mate. I was quoting what Lee J said.
What has he won? What are his credentials? Scottish nobody.
No offence because I think hes decent.
Is that consistent and credible enough?
By the way thanks for the scrutiny, it keeps me on my toes...

Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion