Fowlers book - Anyone read it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:03 pm

Iv got robbies book and im just about to start the Houllier chapter, roughly three fifths through it. After reading it iv pickd up just how much Collymore was a :censored:. At the time i was 6,7,8 andit was when i really really started remembering our matches. According to robbie, Evans new stan was gonna be a :censored: after he first 6-12months. Robbie also thinks we were so so close to the league and had a better team than utd, just not the disipline. Were we ever that close to getting #19? i cant really remember that much of a challenge, just the Coventry 1-3 at Anfield. Robbie also talked of how Roy wasn given the money that Houllier got and how he wanted Jari, Thuram, Sheringham, and Desailly but the board wouldn fund him. They then gave Houllier 140million.....
so what im asking is, what can you remember about the title callenges of the 90s and how close /unlucky were we?
Last edited by RAFABENITEZ on Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:38 pm

We never finished out of the top 4 with Evans, like Robbie said if we'd had the disapline we may well have won the league :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:49 pm

We had the most entertaining side in the league for a few years but there was a lack of disipline, with a stronger defence im tempted to say we would have p!ssed the league on at least 1 occasion.

Collymore can only be described as the biggest waste of talent Anfield has ever seen, on form he was unstoppable, he really was, but he was a lazy nutter who refused to move away from his home in Birmingham and would miss training sometimes........With the right head on his shoulders its scary to think what this lad and fowler upfront could have really achieved.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:49 pm

i got robert ryders book for xmas, excellent read. not finished yet
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:01 pm

Judge wrote:i got robert ryders book for xmas, excellent read. not finished yet

Robert Ryder?  ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

It's a good read. I rushed through it in less than a week! Sheds a lot of light on just how poor the relationaship between Houllier/Thompson and Fowler really was. Was also interesting to read that Houllier wanted to bring the prodigal son back home when the milk started to turn sour but the board wouldn't back him after Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou.

While Robbie acknowledges some examples of the so called lack of discipline at the club at the time he also points out just how much of the 'spice boys' rep was drummed up by the media. He said that the same sort of stuff happened at the mancs but coz they were winning stuff it never got dragged up in the press.

Robbies's appraisal of the England management doesn't fill you with much optimism either.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

The Guillem Ballague book is unputdownable!
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:04 pm

under roy evans  we were an attractive team to watch,probably the best passing team in the league but the defence was shocking babb ruddock and scales were just not good enough
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Paul C wrote:

Robert Ryder?  ???

when robbie was a lad, he played under his mums name of ryder, and his mum called hin robert, so hence, robert ryder

read the book paul, it tells you all in there  :)

you can get it from waterstones - entitled FOWLER
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:23 pm

Effes wrote:The Guillem Ballague book is unputdownable!

Totally, my sister got it me for Christmas, I don't read books as they bore the sh.ite out of me the I love it.  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:24 pm

Judge wrote:
Paul C wrote:

Robert Ryder?  ???

when robbie was a lad, he played under his mums name of ryder, and his mum called hin robert, so hence, robert ryder

read the book paul, it tells you all in there  :)

you can get it from waterstones - entitled FOWLER

Ahhh right, nice one Judge  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCNUTTER » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:25 pm

The book also goes on to say how bad it was in training sessions under houllier were anyone could be dropped for talking or laughing during training
LFCNUTTER

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:32 pm

LFCNUTTER wrote:The book also goes on to say how bad it was in training sessions under houllier were anyone could be dropped for talking or laughing during training

JUST GOT TO THAT, and te Valencia game away, what a shambles by GH. Makes ya tink though, if Roy was given that sort of money, 100million plus, who knows...
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1136150807 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:41 pm

My memories of the nineties and Evans, was the way that we used to start our league campagns.
We would always come out of the traps like a whippet, and we all thought it was time for the league to finally return home, but it was always a false dawn.
Best memories were of the emergence of Fowler, his five at Fulham (I was there!) his hat trick at Arsenal, our comeback at Anfield against Man-U (3-3), the Newcastle games and TOO MANY MISFITS wearing the red shirt, especially at the back.

Though I will add, I used to love Rob Jones, always thought he could have been a legend!! :( oh well!!

At least under Benitez, there is no false dawn this time!!
72-1136150807

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:45 pm

I hope Fowler admits that he lacked discipline too. I think he could have been a great player (as opposed to a really good club player for about 5 years)

John Barnes books blames Fowler and mcmanamann for not taking training seriously enough. You shouldn't be having a laugh in training, I can't imagine Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho playing practical jokes.

Evans was too soft to be a manager and was rightly sacked. The less said about GH the better.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion