Fowlers book - Anyone read it?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFCNUTTER » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:58 pm

their is a difference in having a laugh in training and not taking training seriously every top team can and do have some light hearted fun during training not right through a training session but at times during training
LFCNUTTER

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:01 pm

Got the Fowler book as a Chrimbo pressie (along with 5 Star Heroes & the excellent Paul Tomkins book Golden Past Red Future) a real eye-opener regarding his relationship with Houllier & Thompson...???

I remember when he left for Leeds feeling absolutely gutted,although by that time injuries had taken their toll and the £12m fee was good business in the end,still "God" as far as I'm concerned...
Gracias King Rafa

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:03 pm

He truely was one of the most naturally gifted players to step foot onto Anfield. Its just a shame that he as plagued by injury as perhaps the face of the national side would have been bettered by his presence.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:16 pm

I've just got the last chapter to read in the Paul Tomkins book titled "European Champions 2005" :D
Gracias King Rafa

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:38 pm

Big Niall wrote:I hope Fowler admits that he lacked discipline too. I think he could have been a great player (as opposed to a really good club player for about 5 years)

John Barnes books blames Fowler and mcmanamann for not taking training seriously enough. You shouldn't be having a laugh in training, I can't imagine Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho playing practical jokes.

Evans was too soft to be a manager and was rightly sacked. The less said about GH the better.

roy evans, because he`d been there behind the scene`s with shankly, paisley, fagan and daglish assumed that players would respect the shirt and the club when he became boss.
he`d seen so many players like kevin keegan, graeme souness and terry mcdermott who would run their blood to water for the cause over the years that he took giving 100% for granted.
he probably wasnt too concerned if the players went out at night because liverpool players always liked a bevvy but still outworked those foreign teams with their fancy diets and fitness regimes.
the players let a legend down in my eyes.
collymore gets some stick but he was the one who went to the national press and said the training at liverpool was a joke.
i believe him. neil ruddock was a decent player but his physical conditioning was a joke, he looked like a park player in physique but was being paid as a professional athlete. david james was an armani model and babb just acted like one. that white suits at wembley is an embaressment on the club, if you start acting like big time charlies you`ve got to back it up on the pitch where it counts or you just look stupid.
at the end of the day in 30 years time no one will remember that team but names like vlad smicer and traore will even be remembered and feted because they won big prizes and maybe the far more talented players will regret having p.1.s.sed their talent up the wall when the fans of the future say who?

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby The Red Baron » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:50 pm

bavlondon wrote:He truely was one of the most naturally gifted players to step foot onto Anfield. Its just a shame that he as plagued by injury as perhaps the face of the national side would have been bettered by his presence.

Agreed.Robbie was plagued with injuries,although Houlier chose to leave him out of the side when he was fit.As Robbie stated in his book he would have had much more of an International career,had Venables remained in charge.Under Hoddle he had no chance,they never got on.
I read Fowlers book in a couple of days,well worth a read.Interesting to read his comments on Thommo and Houlier,
although I have Thommos book to read before Imake judgements.
  Iam a couple of Chapters into A SEASON ON THE BRINK although a little dissapointed in the thickness of the book the actual content is excelent.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I must admit he brings a different side of the argument in his book. From what ive heard he tells of the side of houllier we never saw

A friend has read it and said he enjoyed it. Apparently its on sale in ASDA for £5 so Im gonna get it for my self
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 pm

That team made me angry as I felt they just didn't want it as much as manu.

Souness's team was just rubbish and it wasn't a matter of desire but ability while I was usually asleep or gone home with sore neck after 30 mins of GH's team imitating Wimbledon.

This is the first LFC team with ability and determination since the good 'ol days.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:35 pm

Robbie says he has unfinished buisiness at liverpool, hinting he might become a manager. He also says he felt he should hav been playing for us in ISTANBUL and thinks he could do a job for a guy like RAFA. reading that really makes me long for him to come back, my dad thinks im losing it and that Robbies not the same, but whynot? why cant he get on the weights and that at Melwood and come back ? he had the best goal per game ratio of all our attackers in 00/01, 18 in twentysomething,
or am i just being silly about a return?
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:47 pm

GOT THIS BOOK AT CHRIMBO AND AM LOOKING FORWARD TO READING BUT AT THE MOMENT I'M READING THE GUILLEM BALAGUE BOOK WHICH IS FANTASTIC; IT REALLY GIVES YOU AN INSIDE LOOK AT HOW RAFA RUNS HIS TEAM AND THE WORK THAT WENT ON BEHIND THE SCENES IN THE BUILD UP AND DURING THAT EVENTFUL NIGHT IN ISTANBUL.

A DEFFO MUST READ.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:58 pm

The best two football autobiographies I have read are Niall Quinn and Tony Cascarino.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm

is the cascarino one where he admits to not being irish and so is not irlelands all time top scorer :D :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Row Z » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:50 pm

He never was Irelands top scorer. Frank Stapleton was, and now it's currently Robbie Keane.
Row Z

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:06 pm

Cascarinos book is great for showing that football isn't glamourous or romantic Roy of the Rovers stuff while Quinns is interesting for his Arsenal p1ss up stories.

As for Robbie coming back - stop being daft. He was on the slide when he left us many years back and now isn't good enough to play for Man City. His place is secure in LFC history but no place in LFC 2006.

He should have been another Rushie :(
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 pm

Niall,have you read Aldridges book.I havent but its supposed to be very entertaining.I keep saying I will read it,then it goes out of my mind until topics like this come up.Agree about Fowler by the way.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion