Fowler so far... - What does everyone think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:46 am

Firstly, theres alot of Fowler threads, I can't be arsed posting in another as this is a slightly different topic and regarding the present and future rather than the past.

All I want to know is what does everyone think so far? I know its early... but i'd still like to know. Have the doubters who said he was rubbish and couldn't kick a ball retracted there statements or do they feel they've been justified in them completely?

Everything I expected I have seen from Robbie. Its clear to me his touch and intelligence is still there and i don't believe injuries have completely ruined his fitness as some would have us believe, not to the extent it makes him a poor player anyway.

Some of his link up play today was excellent and his movement very clever. I think if we'd thrown Robbie into this side 6 weeks ago when we were playing well he'd have about 5 goals by now.

Given time he'll score goals, he'll get chances and create goals aswell. Looking at his form over the games he's shown glimpses of something in each game and i'm convinced he hasn't lost that cheekyness and flair he once had.

Do i think he'll manage 30 goals a season? No, do i think he's still capable of 20 and offering something in open play (unlike Sissy). I think Morientes and Fowler could form a lethal partnership, Morientes NEEDS to sharpen up and regain his confidence, if not he'll be out the door.

I actually think Fowler's potential regular partner is out on loan at Blackburn at the moment. I believe thats a combination that could seriously cause teams problems as both players like one two's, like to link up, use dummies and have good technical ability. If things get physical and you're forced to go long you've got Crouchie as an option.

Anyways, the question... What does everyone think so far?
115-1073096938

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:01 am

I think he's shown more in the 3 games he's played in than all our other strikers have throughout the season.

Definately still got the ability.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:13 am

i thought the way and vision he has when he had the ball to pass around is great plus he is making runs into the box and get to the end of it ( kewell's cross ) was something i am yearning to see from our strikers while i think our other strikers dont have that mentality
onizukaeikichi

Postby red_guy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:23 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think he's shown more in the 3 games he's played in than all our other strikers have throughout the season.

Definately still got the ability.

Intelligent runs and good passes, link up plays...etc..

definitely lando....definitely.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:29 am

I like what I have seen so far but I am concerned that Rafa might tempted toward overused simply because of the lack of other quality strikers, something that has become a chronic problem of late. RF isn't a spring chicken any more and he has had his dramas with injury/fitness. My concern is that he is going to be used as a 22-24 year old 'tearaway' when I think he should be used conservatively,  maybe as an impact player or score breaker.

I'm not sure I have explained myself well enough but I just don't want to see the lad used up and then discarded or sold because of chronic (overuse) injury. To see the lad sold off again would be just gut wrenching (for him and us).

The ideal career scenario would be to see Robbie have a couple of good years with his beloved Reds before a fond (and probably tearful) farewell in front of his adoreing fans at Anfield...after scoring a hat trick against Manc or Chelski!!!       :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 am

Can't really say that Fowler has done more in this short time than our other strikers, although if he keeps on playing as he has he will be more efective than any of them. IMO he had a great performance against Wigan. Two plays that come to mind from that game were the header he made, first passed the ball to Morientes, who gave it back to him to be able to do the header and then the one he crossed the ball to Morientes who unfortunately was stopped by Pollit.

I do believe as Stu that he and Morientes can form a lethal partnership. At moments today they seemed to play well together although Morientes seemed uninspired, he really need to regain his confidence and become that striker we all knew before he came to Liverpool. I hope they can start more matches together, hopefuly they will be given another shot against Arsenal.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby Rafa D » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:13 am

Just glad to see God back in a red shirt. At the moment , I believe Rafa is doing the right thing with Robbie, trying to get him fit. If we got his fitness up to Rafa's standard, I truly believe we would start seeing Robbie of old. I know its a big ask for him, but he wants it so bad, thats all the motivation he will need.
   I reckon we will start to see his true form maybe at the start of March. he won't be 100% but he will be sharper and fitter. Robbie is one of the best natural finishers in the Premiership. His header against Wigan, although weak, showed what his career has been all about - being in the right place at the right time.
   I echo the worries about Robbie getting injured, as watching him leave at the end of the season would be gut wrenching for all involved. I have every faith in Robbie's ability and heart to become a sucess at this great club once again.

Fowler -2006 - The 2nd Coming......
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:58 am

As covered on another thread Fowler shows more, moves more intelligently and gets himself open in the box. He is obviously chronically short of pace and fitness but despite this looks to a sensible aquisition on a free.
Given his physical state, I'd start him from the bench and open up with Cisse/Garcia and Crouch. Morientes I wouldn't let near the first team as I think he is an out and out liabilty.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Seeing that I said two months ago that I doubted Fowler would ever play in a Premiership match again (when he was at City and couldn't get a game) I have to eat humble pie and say Robbie is proving me wrong.........to a degree.

Its early doors yet, and Robbie will be ultimately judged on one issue alone: goals. So far, he has none.

I disagree with the earlier poster's comments that Robbie has done better already than all of our other strikers put together this season. Thats sensationalist. Robbie has only started one match and hasn't scored. Peter Crouch is one of the main reasons why we are better this year. Cisse, for all his faults, scored regularly at the start of the season. Robbie has a bit to do yet to even surpass the woeful Cisse's contribution.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:06 pm

he wants the ball and his movement has been brilliant, he is also doing well in other areas such providing.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:32 pm

I agree that I don't think we'll see a truely fit Robbie until at least March. His physical improvement though even over a few short weeks has been quite dramatic! Did anybody else notice yesterday that his little double chin (which he's had since about 2001) had almost gone? :)
inglis5

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 pm

The word most posters have used about Robbie . INTELLIGENT . The fella is a class above all our other strikers in terms of touch and vision . Once the other stikers begin to forge an understanding with him we're gonna see some real dividends from his signing .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:45 pm

bigmick wrote:As covered on another thread Fowler shows more, moves more intelligently and gets himself open in the box. He is obviously chronically short of pace and fitness but despite this looks to a sensible aquisition on a free.
Given his physical state, I'd start him from the bench and open up with Cisse/Garcia and Crouch. Morientes I wouldn't let near the first team as I think he is an out and out liabilty.

He's more of a liability than Morientes, Sissy and Luis Garcia in some games?

Sorry Mick i don't buy that at all. The lad proved yesterday he's still got more to offer than the three of those and more than the first two i mentioned, put together.

He isn't fully fit, he'll only get fit by starting, Robbie's never going to change a game off a bench, he's not that sort of player. However if he starts games, he'll score goals.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:47 pm

Sorry Mick misread your post. Morientes isn't as much a liability as you think. His confidence is shot to peices.

He has ability, he's not as good as people said he was in the past, but he's got enough about him to be consistently decent. He shown signs earlier in the season and in the odd game, needs to find consistency, confidence and sharpness.
115-1073096938

Postby alxy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:06 pm

fowler as expected looks unfit... but his heart's definitely there... unlike morientes... somehow i just got the feeling that morientes is just going through the motions... yes, confidence can be down.. but that's no excuse for lack of heart...

i would prefer cisse to morientes nowadays... at least he offers us pace and can trouble opposing defenders...
alxy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion