Fowler so far... - What does everyone think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:24 am

stu_the_red wrote:Had he played in this side all season instead of Morientes or Sissy we'd be much much better off and he'd have had at LEAST 15 goals or so by now.

It's hard to put a number on how many he would or wouldn't have scored, but I can't argue with him being a big improvement on those two. When you look at our strikers (with the exception of Crouch IMHO) it really is a remarkable achievement to be in third place. I made a point earlier that forgetting about the Van Nistelroy/Rooney partnership for a second or about Thierry Henri (if we had either of those then I believe we would surpass Chelsea) you can go further down the league and still imagine the improvement. Does anybody seriously believe for instance if we had Mido with Keanne/Defoe or Harewood with Zamorra/Ashton that we wouldn't have scored more goals?
Realistically Morientes wouldn't get a game with many other teams in the Premiership right now because he offers absolutely nothing. Even his deft touch seems to have deserted him and he almost never manages to retain posession when the ball is played up to him. The one on Saturday morning when Fowler pushed it down the the left touchline for him summed him up. His chronic lack of pace meant he couldn't recieve it and continue down the line, while his total lack of determination and body strength meant he couldn't even protect the ball. The defender didn't tackle him, he simply brushed him off and came away with the ball. It really is time to admit it's been a mistake, albeit an understandable one given his previous record and to move on.

Cisse on the other hand, our 14 million pounds front man is just Cisse. If you get a league table out and count down the teams you've got to go a while (with the exception of Wigan right now, and only right now) to find a team in which he would get a game. He too is severely limited and in all probability has to go. That said, though in actual fact he does nothing at least he does offer the prospect (I think the threat is probably overstating it somewhat) that he may do something so I would persist with him until Fowler gets himself up to an acceptable level of fitness. Like I said, when you look at it it's unbelieveable we are in the top half, never mind third.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:48 am

I'm impressed with Robbie's start.  During the season leading up to his departure, he was constantly slipping over and his first touch made it look like he was wearing steel toe caps.  This was due to a bad injury following by constant niggles.  IMHO he actually seems to be playing better than he was just before he left.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:03 pm

Behing big Sami Fowler was imo our best player on Saturday.
I wouldnt go overboard and say he is the same player of the past but his touch, vision and movement were top notch.
The ball he played in for Morientes at the end of the first half was sublime, perfectly weighted right from the left touchline.
He was really unlucky with the off side as well, when Morientes interfered with his run.
I seriously would start him for now, alongside possibly Cisse due to Crouch being off form.
Cisse is not the type of player that seems to link well with anyone BUT with Robbie's touch and vision i think he could play just behind Cisse in the same sort of role as Bergkamp for Arsenal.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:08 pm

bigmick wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Had he played in this side all season instead of Morientes or Sissy we'd be much much better off and he'd have had at LEAST 15 goals or so by now.

It's hard to put a number on how many he would or wouldn't have scored, but I can't argue with him being a big improvement on those two. When you look at our strikers (with the exception of Crouch IMHO) it really is a remarkable achievement to be in third place. I made a point earlier that forgetting about the Van Nistelroy/Rooney partnership for a second or about Thierry Henri (if we had either of those then I believe we would surpass Chelsea) you can go further down the league and still imagine the improvement. Does anybody seriously believe for instance if we had Mido with Keanne/Defoe or Harewood with Zamorra/Ashton that we wouldn't have scored more goals?
Realistically Morientes wouldn't get a game with many other teams in the Premiership right now because he offers absolutely nothing. Even his deft touch seems to have deserted him and he almost never manages to retain posession when the ball is played up to him. The one on Saturday morning when Fowler pushed it down the the left touchline for him summed him up. His chronic lack of pace meant he couldn't recieve it and continue down the line, while his total lack of determination and body strength meant he couldn't even protect the ball. The defender didn't tackle him, he simply brushed him off and came away with the ball. It really is time to admit it's been a mistake, albeit an understandable one given his previous record and to move on.

Cisse on the other hand, our 14 million pounds front man is just Cisse. If you get a league table out and count down the teams you've got to go a while (with the exception of Wigan right now, and only right now) to find a team in which he would get a game. He too is severely limited and in all probability has to go. That said, though in actual fact he does nothing at least he does offer the prospect (I think the threat is probably overstating it somewhat) that he may do something so I would persist with him until Fowler gets himself up to an acceptable level of fitness. Like I said, when you look at it it's unbelieveable we are in the top half, never mind third.

Well said. I also think we have maybe the worst strikers in the premiership if you take away one team; sunderland. Even relegation dogs like Birmingham and Boro have more dangerous strikers. The way Morientes hav been playing is a disgrace to a club of Liverpool's size and stature. His chronic lack of pace was mentioned, also his upper body strenght and technical abilities have no value. And his smartness seems to be gone. It was he who made the useless runs and it was he who denied Fowler a one on one with the goalkeeper because he chased a ball he had no business chasing.

Fowler on the other hand looked all right at Wigan. I admit I did not think Fowler would return. And my god his return says everything about the striker situation here. If things were OK we would never have taken him back. But there is a crisis and Fowler may ease our problems at least in the short term. I was delighted to see Fowlers movement and his general involvement in the game. His runs was clearly made with passion and intelligence. You would expect most strikers in the premiership able to make those sort of runs, but here in Liuverpool those runs have been missing a long time. I agree with Bigmick that Robbie ain't a 20 goal a season striker no more simply because he won't get the amount of games necessary. But I also understand Stu's opinion given that Stu thinks he will get that amount if he play as number one striker for a full season.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby mikeg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:48 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Firstly, theres alot of Fowler threads, I can't be arsed posting in another as this is a slightly different topic and regarding the present and future rather than the past.

All I want to know is what does everyone think so far? I know its early... but i'd still like to know. Have the doubters who said he was rubbish and couldn't kick a ball retracted there statements or do they feel they've been justified in them completely?

Everything I expected I have seen from Robbie. Its clear to me his touch and intelligence is still there and i don't believe injuries have completely ruined his fitness as some would have us believe, not to the extent it makes him a poor player anyway.

Some of his link up play today was excellent and his movement very clever. I think if we'd thrown Robbie into this side 6 weeks ago when we were playing well he'd have about 5 goals by now.

Given time he'll score goals, he'll get chances and create goals aswell. Looking at his form over the games he's shown glimpses of something in each game and i'm convinced he hasn't lost that cheekyness and flair he once had.

Do i think he'll manage 30 goals a season? No, do i think he's still capable of 20 and offering something in open play (unlike Sissy). I think Morientes and Fowler could form a lethal partnership, Morientes NEEDS to sharpen up and regain his confidence, if not he'll be out the door.

I actually think Fowler's potential regular partner is out on loan at Blackburn at the moment. I believe thats a combination that could seriously cause teams problems as both players like one two's, like to link up, use dummies and have good technical ability. If things get physical and you're forced to go long you've got Crouchie as an option.

Anyways, the question... What does everyone think so far?

pointless thread

theres already loads of fowler threads open can you just add to them in future please
mikeg

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 pm

mikeg wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Firstly, theres alot of Fowler threads, I can't be arsed posting in another as this is a slightly different topic and regarding the present and future rather than the past.

All I want to know is what does everyone think so far? I know its early... but i'd still like to know. Have the doubters who said he was rubbish and couldn't kick a ball retracted there statements or do they feel they've been justified in them completely?

Everything I expected I have seen from Robbie. Its clear to me his touch and intelligence is still there and i don't believe injuries have completely ruined his fitness as some would have us believe, not to the extent it makes him a poor player anyway.

Some of his link up play today was excellent and his movement very clever. I think if we'd thrown Robbie into this side 6 weeks ago when we were playing well he'd have about 5 goals by now.

Given time he'll score goals, he'll get chances and create goals aswell. Looking at his form over the games he's shown glimpses of something in each game and i'm convinced he hasn't lost that cheekyness and flair he once had.

Do i think he'll manage 30 goals a season? No, do i think he's still capable of 20 and offering something in open play (unlike Sissy). I think Morientes and Fowler could form a lethal partnership, Morientes NEEDS to sharpen up and regain his confidence, if not he'll be out the door.

I actually think Fowler's potential regular partner is out on loan at Blackburn at the moment. I believe thats a combination that could seriously cause teams problems as both players like one two's, like to link up, use dummies and have good technical ability. If things get physical and you're forced to go long you've got Crouchie as an option.

Anyways, the question... What does everyone think so far?

pointless thread

theres already loads of fowler threads open can you just add to them in future please

:laugh:

:censored: off dapioneer.
115-1073096938

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:35 pm

mikeg wrote:pointless thread

Who the fucking hell are you gobshite? 

Leave the moderating to the mods and concentrate on your opinions before you get fucked off completely.

Sick of knobheads on here.  :no  :no
jonnymac1979

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:43 pm

So pointless its got 5 pages of replies. :D
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:22 pm

you don't lose your footballing ability with age, the only thing you lose is a yard of pace (not that robbie had any in the first place) :D

the game on saturday proved that robbie fowler has still got what it takes to succeed at this level. his movement and awareness were second to none for a guy who hasn't played a lot of football in recent times.

he'll score goals in this side without any question. this season we're creating more chances in games than in any other season in recent memory. we just need someone to finish the moves off in and around the six yard box.

i watched the manure portsmouth game on saturday night and this became even more obvious. giggs went through and hit the bar and when the rebound bounced out, van nistelrooy was there to head it in from about two yards. now if that was us, i can't help but think that nobody would have been following up and the ball would have been cleared.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:54 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:Stu, i ask again....show me where i've ever started a topic (or responded) and defended Baros??!  You're such an idiot you don't even know who you're arguing with anymore....perhaps you could revive your thread where you claim Joey Barton is better than Gerrard   :D

You quote me where i said Barton was better footballer than Steven Gerrard and i'll gladly hand over my house and everything i own.

100% Genuine that.

Go on smart :censored:. You're gonna put words in my mouth, quote me on it. If you can't and i didn't actually say Barton was a better footballer than Gerrard... how about you do the same thing...

You got the balls for that?

Stu, i can't be arsed to go through all the threads (some of us have lives to live) but are you denying you claimed Barton was technically and tactically better than Gerrard?

And you claim to 'know the game'  :laugh:

here it is

(Barton is)technically and tactically he's as good if not SLIGHTLY better than Gerrard.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mikeg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:35 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:

Leave the moderating to the mods and concentrate on your opinions before you get fucked off completely.

it was a joke you thick :censored:

sick of miserable :censored: on here  :no  :no
mikeg

Postby mikeg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:

bet you love being a mod dont you?

another skinny little :censored: sat behind a keyboard thinking hes hard
mikeg

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:01 am

Johnny, do the decent thing mate, no-one here wants him talkin to you or anyone else like this.
115-1073096938

Postby Immortal » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:48 am

Back to Fowler, you think he'll start tonight?
Immortal

Postby el_stinger » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:09 am

Yep, he'll start alongside Mori. They did ok Vs Wigan, and I they'll have a better understanding of each others game so far (Every one knows Cisse's game, punt it just a few centimeters in front of his feet, and pray that it comes off, otherwise get ready for a spray cos its all the passer's fault for not passing properly.) At least Mori and Robbie will play off each other, and I don't fear that there will be a repeat stupid offide decision ala Vs. Wigan.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion