Fowler so far... - What does everyone think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:00 pm

OK 7_Kewell - lets just SEE who's the "proven premiership goalscorer":

Rank Player Goals
1 Alan Shearer * 255
2 Andy Cole * 185
3 Robbie Fowler * 154
4 Thierry Henry * 152
5 Les Ferdinand 149
6 Teddy Sheringham * 143
7 Michael Owen * 125
8 Dwight Yorke 122
9 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink * 121
10 Ian Wright 113

Has it sunk in yet?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:04 pm

No but Lando, Nigel Worthington doesn't rate him so he must be rubbish... :D
115-1073096938

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:21 pm

It's a shame that after a promising start, this thread has turned into another slanging match between Stu and Kewell with others jumping in from the sidelines. It amazes me sometimes that people can be so dogmatic about issues. It's a question of opinions, everyone is entitled to theirs and nobody gets it right all the time. Kewell got it wrong when he thought that Fowler was totally washed up and wasn't coming back to Anfield but whether he got it wrong long-term only time will tell.
My own take is that as per usual when you get entrenched debate, both the main protagonists are wrong. Stu is wrong of course because Fowler won't score 20 goals for us next season. I don't know if he means Premiership goals or all competitions but whatever, he will not score 20 goals for Liverpool next season. Why? well for a number of reasons, not least of which is that he won't get enough starts to make the feat possible. Clearly Rafa isn't a mug and will know that we need in all probability at least two strikers in the Summer, one of which will be an Owen/Torres/Mista/Kujit type of proven player who is going to cost the earth and play every week. My suspicion is that rafa will stick with Crouch so Robbie is only going to be a rotational squad/bench player at best. The other reason is that despite losing none of his skill and nouse, Robbie is not the same physical specimen that graced the Premiership in the late 90's. 20 goals a season is beyond him in my view. Now before people jump to their keyboards to slag me off (though feel free if you must) can I stress that I think Fowler was and is a fantastic signing for us. I think he represents our most significant goal threat at the moment and I would definately give him plenty of games for the rest of the season.
Kewell was wrong (and I think having seen Robbie play on Saturday he probably knows it) in his writing off of Fowler.

They are both wrong to continue this spat. Lando is correct that Fowler at his best was better than Owen IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby columbia » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Robbie looks good so far. He has intelligent movement, an eye for goal, good link up play and so much passion for our club but we new that anyway. He just needs to keep working hard and im confident if he does he'll prove to be a good buy. I dont doubt his ability and think he's just as good as he was when he left us, he just needs the games.
columbia

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Robbie has shown, in what little time he has had on the pitch that he still has the qualities (vision, passing, linkup play, good technique etc) since last being here.

He will soon start scoring and once he is a little fitter, will prove to be an exceptional bit of signing by Rafa.

Remembe, Robbie Loves this club and will do anything to see that we are on top.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Rastalovich » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:20 pm

Premature thread maybe, turned into a stupid playground brawl with the usual suspects.

It`s plain to see why some post counts are as high as they are.

I`ve only been here a short while & I know the pattern, was hoping that although it was an early thread, some discussion might come of it of some value.

nvm.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby supersub » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:51 pm

I'm delighted Robbie Fowler is back at Anfield and I've always rated him the superior goal-scorer over Owen(stu can vouch for that),but I do believe bigmick has hit the nail on the head.Robbie won't play enough games to rack up a huge goal tally,but will certainly contribute his fair share of goals if given games and of course if he wins a new contract.I'm banking on his hunger and desire to prove he's worthy of an extension for another couple of years by getting a moderate 6 or 7 league goals from the remaining 13 games and perhaps a few European goals,crashing in the last goal of the season in Paris,May 17th.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:46 am

supersub wrote:I'm delighted Robbie Fowler is back at Anfield and I've always rated him the superior goal-scorer over Owen(stu can vouch for that),but I do believe bigmick has hit the nail on the head.Robbie won't play enough games to rack up a huge goal tally,but will certainly contribute his fair share of goals if given games and of course if he wins a new contract.I'm banking on his hunger and desire to prove he's worthy of an extension for another couple of years by getting a moderate 6 or 7 league goals from the remaining 13 games and perhaps a few European goals,crashing in the last goal of the season in Paris,May 17th.

He's always scored more goals than Owen, he's better alround goalscorer. A better footballer? No chance, but a better goalscorer? Definately.

He's still capable of scoring 20 goals a season. Had he played in this side all season instead of Morientes or Sissy we'd be much much better off and he'd have had at LEAST 15 goals or so by now.
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:13 am

I'm with Stu on the Owen /Fowler question but we have to go with what we have and Fowler is quality make no mistake.

I said a couple of weeks back when we got him that it was a no brainer. Paying next to nothing for him , paying him half his wages( leeds are paying the other half) on trial of 6 months, eligible for Europe ....need I go on .....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:31 am

:D i have to admit that i ordered my fowler jersey as soon as  i found out what his new number was and wore it with pride to the pub friday night( congrats british post -- takes longer to get a letter to london -- ontario that is by canada post) BUT his play with gerrard reminded me of the old days -- lack of fitness is apparent but robbie isn't an athletic stiker he will be fine and by god it will be great!!! :buttrock
vlady16.1

Postby The_Rock » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:09 am

supersub wrote:...............and perhaps a few European goals,crashing in the last goal of the season in Paris,May 17th.

Man....what a nite that would be...

u can just see it....... a left footed pile driver heading into the top corner in the 90th minute.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:14 am

I'd prefer it to be in the 45th minute!  Leaving it to the 90th is a bit too hard on the nerves for my liking :D
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Immortal » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:59 am

Just like to add my comments to Fowler's performance against Wigan. I think he did quite well considering the circumstances. No doubt he isn't match fit yet and all that, but I think he had a more prominent presense compared to Morientes, and somehow, Fowler managed to get into good positions for most of the game.

Look at his header, granted, the header was weak, but look at how he got into position. He passed the ball, and then he ran from outside the left side of the penalty area to inside on the right. That says something bout his instincts.

And I don't know bout you all, but I was frustrated when he timed his run perfectly only for Morientes to mess it up by getting himself offside.

I'd give Fowler a few more games, he's proven time and time again that he's got what it takes. Cisse didn't do too well when he came on did he? He had a good chance, but he messed it up, that's the story of Cisse's season so far, lots of good chances, all wasted.
Immortal

Postby Immortal » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:01 am

TheoRacle wrote:I'd prefer it to be in the 45th minute!  Leaving it to the 90th is a bit too hard on the nerves for my liking :D

Heh, have to agree with you there TheoRacle, it's scary having to wait for the last few mins for a goal. Not like Liverpool has that many Mellor moments anyway.
Immortal

Postby azriahmad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 am

Speaking of headersm I have yet to see Morrientes' famed "world class heading ability" in the red shirt of Liverpool. I have waited and waited and I am getting tired of waiting for the trully world calss Morrientes to turn up.

Fowler has done well to date for a player who is not at his optimum fitness and sharpness. His link-up play was very good. I am well satisfied with his contributions considering he cost us nought as compared to a record-breaking transfer signing Frenchman who couldn't hit a barn door at close range.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion