Fowler so far... - What does everyone think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFCNUTTER » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:01 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Sabre wrote:
Technically out of 20... Gerrard 15

What?

Who has written this? (I picked from a multi quote, I'm not sure)

What's technically mean for english speakers?, in my book Gerrard is 18 out of 20, at the least. I have seen few players that run so well with the ball in their feet, that balances so well and positions so well his body to shoot the ball, and that has also a good touch for passes. Even when tackling he shows excellent technical skills, he's very technical player!

But then, what does "technically" mean? technically as in Image ?

Sabre you'd say he's in the same class as Ronaldinho? Pires? Henry? Fowler? Kewell? Alonso?

No chance mate.

Gerrard is good technically, very good infact, he's not class in that area though.

Technically meaning touch, weight of pass, skill, ability to manipulate the ball, technique.

You talk of him running with the ball, his ability to dribble isn't Giggs like, Joaquin like or Ronaldinho like... his balance is good and his pace is good, but its not all technical. Mostly is determination, a touch of pace and decent touches, he's not a technical player, he's a determined player. Ronaldinho is technical.

:sleep
LFCNUTTER

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:28 pm

:kungfu:
115-1073096938

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:17 pm

I’m not expecting Fowler to be our saviour, but I am expecting him to be an improvement on what we have.

Already he has shown what good movement from a striker can do not only for himself but also for the players around him. His game is mostly in the brain, he isn’t going to burst past people with pace or skill. What he will do is consistently stay on side and in the game, make himself available for the pass, find a team mate with his passed, get into dangerous positions and score goals.

I think we have already seen that he has more intelligence than any of the strikers at the club, except maybe Morientes, this is probably why these 2 have started in the last 2 games, they are intelligent strikers who know how to play the game.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:30 pm

I'm very pleased with what he has done so far,especially when you consider how much he has played in the last two years.Robbie is and will always be a goal threat,unlike one or two more i could mention......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:28 pm

Small John wrote:Fowler.......2 Starts...no Goals!

(JMc strokes chin........)

Guess who's back, tell a friend.

What do I win?

:sleep  :sleep
jonnymac1979

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:45 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Sabre wrote:

What?

What's technically mean for english speakers?, in my book Gerrard is 18 out of 20, at the least. I have seen few players that run so well with the ball in their feet, that balances so well and positions so well his body to shoot the ball, and that has also a good touch for passes. Even when tackling he shows excellent technical skills, he's very technical player!

Sabre you'd say he's in the same class as Ronaldinho? Pires? Henry? Fowler? Kewell? Alonso?

No chance mate.

Gerrard is good technically, very good infact, he's not class in that area though.

Technically meaning touch, weight of pass, skill, ability to manipulate the ball, technique.

You talk of him running with the ball, his ability to dribble isn't Giggs like, Joaquin like or Ronaldinho like... his balance is good and his pace is good, but its not all technical. Mostly is determination, a touch of pace and decent touches, he's not a technical player, he's a determined player. Ronaldinho is technical.

Stu....i think you play championship manager too much  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Way too much champ manager. Its just a game son!!!!!!

Hes one of the best technically aware players in the world in his position. Just because he doesnt do a bunch or stepovers followed by a nutmet, followed by a little jig you say hes not very technical.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:54 pm

bavlondon wrote:Way too much champ manager. Its just a game son!!!!!!

Hes one of the best technically aware players in the world in his position. Just because he doesnt do a bunch or stepovers followed by a nutmet, followed by a little jig you say hes not very technical.

Read the post.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:55 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Sabre wrote:

What?

No chance mate.

Read the post.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:58 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Sabre wrote:

What?

No chance mate.

If thats the best arguement you can come up with that says it all about how much you know and understand the game.
115-1073096938

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Relax Stu. I think Knightriders on Bravo now, go and sitby the tele mate.

I think Fowler has done ok so far. He showed good movments and more importantly he showed that he may still be capable of producing a few goals by the end of this year. However in regards to our challanging for top honous i dont think bringing back a 30 yeah old is the answer. I along with everyone else in this forum wants to see Fowler bury  a few goals this seaosn but I really do think that we need a speedy player who is also technically gifted aswell. Someone like Defoe, Podolski, even Ashton although he could just be anothr Crouch media circus waiting to explode the minute he moves toa big club. Rafa knows what he has to do and im conident that he will do it. Im also confident that we wil make do with the Strikers we have for this season.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:09 pm

supersub wrote:JBG i have to warn you that the use of the word spastic is now politically incorrect and is deemed offensive to a minority and therefore I implore you not to use it anymore.
JMac will you please refrain from using the word f.uck when referring to other members.

:D
jonnymac1979

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:20 pm

bavlondon wrote:Relax Stu. I think Knightriders on Bravo now, go and sitby the tele mate.

I think Fowler has done ok so far. He showed good movments and more importantly he showed that he may still be capable of producing a few goals by the end of this year. However in regards to our challanging for top honous i dont think bringing back a 30 yeah old is the answer. I along with everyone else in this forum wants to see Fowler bury  a few goals this seaosn but I really do think that we need a speedy player who is also technically gifted aswell. Someone like Defoe, Podolski, even Ashton although he could just be anothr Crouch media circus waiting to explode the minute he moves toa big club. Rafa knows what he has to do and im conident that he will do it. Im also confident that we wil make do with the Strikers we have for this season.

What does Fowler's age have to do with anything?

Surely if anything having a striker in there early 20's, mid 20's and 30's give you options?

The amount of money he costs and the FACT he's an improvement on Sissy and Morientes means it was a move that no-one can lose on with the exception of Fowler IF (which he will) he doesn't do enough to earn a new deal.
115-1073096938

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:Relax Stu. I think Knightriders on Bravo now, go and sitby the tele mate.

that's my opinion too.  Fowler is a short gap fix at best....although personally, i didn't think Fowler was good enough anymore...and that opinion hasn't really changed.  If anything....the fact Fowler looks good up front shows how poor our strikers are, not how good he is.  Don't get me wrong.....i think Fowler has looked better since returning to Liverpool......but i honestly don't believe he's going to turn into the player we sold.  His best years are behind him and although his return has bolstered moral, i don't think a long term, 45k a week conract, would be a good move.  Why?  It's a LOT of money to pay a squad player....i think he's paid 15k a week by leeds at the moment, so we only pay him 30k.

Overall, i'd sell Cisse, Morientes, release Fowler and bring in 3 new strikers....1 being Owen.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:49 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

that's my opinion too.  Fowler is a short gap fix at best....although personally, i didn't think Fowler was good enough anymore...and that opinion hasn't really changed.  If anything....the fact Fowler looks good up front shows how poor our strikers are, not how good he is.  Don't get me wrong.....i think Fowler has looked better since returning to Liverpool......but i honestly don't believe he's going to turn into the player we sold.  His best years are behind him and although his return has bolstered moral, i don't think a long term, 45k a week conract, would be a good move.  Why?  It's a LOT of money to pay a squad player....i think he's paid 15k a week by leeds at the moment, so we only pay him 30k.

Overall, i'd sell Cisse, Morientes, release Fowler and bring in 3 new strikers....1 being Owen.

Yes Owwn for sue but im not going to get too much into him right now. I beleive after this season he would cost 10mil and 8mil at the end of next.

I think there will be at last 2 strikers brought in. One of thoe will be a proven one either at EPL level or European level,(dare i mention Kuyt again) someone reliable. But i also think Rafa will look to either La Liga again or perhaps even South America. I can honestly see him going for the likes of David Villa from Valencia or Mista. However the right winger situation still needs solving as well all know so we may well see either Mori or Cisse still wearing the red of Liverpool come next August.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion