Football has officially died - It's time to face facts

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Sean wrote:I enjoyed the influx of foreign stars that started to join the premiership after the '94 world cup.  But somewhere between then and now it went too far.  There are too many average foreigners playing in the premiership now who don't want to even learn about the history of the club their playing for.  The premiership is viewed as a cash cow to be milked.  Put a cap of £25,000 a week on wages and watch the reaction....win bonuses might actually begin to mean something to players again.

Foreigners aren't the only ones to blame.  The behaviour of the overpaid spice boys at our club in the mid nineties sickened me.

The problem is further compounded these days because so many players are coming from different countries so not only do they have to fit into the team straight away but they have to do so having just arrived from another country and speaking another language. This has got to significantly reduce the chances of success particularly when several new players in this position are introduced at the same time.

Rafa has got to do a fair bit of fire fighting initially because he was left with not enough good players and therefore needs to bring in a lot of players quickly. However I think that when he has brought more players of the required standard to the club he will then be able to take a more measured approach to transfers and squad building.

He can then find players earlier and with less cost to groom them to be first teamers for 1-2 years before introducing them when they're ready.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:46 pm

Football is no longer a game, it's a huge business. Sports overall has become business. There are hardly any athletes that play the game because they love it, it's all about money.

The other day Chelsea bid 86 million Euro's on Ronaldinho..... 86 million Euro's for one player ?! It's not only Football that has died but every other major sport has as well, money has taken over.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 am

A.B. wrote:Football is no longer a game, it's a huge business. Sports overall has become business. There are hardly any athletes that play the game because they love it, it's all about money.

The other day Chelsea bid 86 million Euro's on Ronaldinho..... 86 million Euro's for one player ?! It's not only Football that has died but every other major sport has as well, money has taken over.

Spot on AB.

Football is no longer the beautiful game, except at Anfield occasionally...

Mellor - 2-1

Yes!!!!!!!!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Matt*Lfc » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:52 am

stmichael wrote:I think it's fair to say that tuesday night, and the reaction to it, was simply a final wake up call to us and the authorities as to how far football has come in the last few years, it is no longer the game we knew.

The amount of apathy (myself included) towards our loss simply illustrates how shafted our once great game has become, we deal with defeat with a simple sigh and note that 4th place is merely 7 points away (yet Chelsea are 21 points away). Mecca is 2 wins and a draw from our grasp.

The invention of The Premiership started the decline, but cannot simply be blamed. Sky came in and dangled great wads of money infront of the already rich, Manchester united saw the opportunities and sold their soul (and the ‘Football Club’ name) to the dollar, lira, yen etc. Chelsea, not to be outdone, managed to precure a sugar daddy and began rewriting every last rule in football. Money won, and unless someone does something about it, our game is finished. Of the 92 teams in The Football League, I’d be surprised if 10-15 of them aren’t around come 2015. But will the likes of Freddy Shepard miss them? Hell no, as long as people are buying Newcastle keyrings and carstickers.

Cups don’t matter anymore, the likes of Chelsea have seen to that, and the FA helped ease people’s concience by allowing the holders to opt out in 2000. Bournemouth are bitterly moaning that we cost them £250k by playing the kids. That quarter of a million could have meant Bournemouth concrete their place in the play offs and subsequent promotion, but winning a ‘race’ for the 16th from bottom place in the premiership meant more to Liverpool financially, so the little guy lost.

I cannot blame Rafael Benitez for having to play this game, but we are so far behind Chelsea, its unbelievable. Money rules, and if you want to win anything you will have to accept this. Look at the comments Mourinho made yesterday:

"We don't need another goalkeeper. We have a great group of keepers, but the reality is that we need the best players in the country, especially English ones.

"If a very young goalkeeper is available, we can think about it for the future of the club, instead of having Lenny Pidgeley as the only young goalkeeper. We could have both of them and maybe send one on loan."

Chelsea aren’t trying to build a team to win anymore, they are stopping every other team building a team. They didn't need a keeper, but they still tried to buy Carson, and would no doubt have loaned him out to a ‘little guy’. Shucks, such a lovely gesture. It sickens me to see that a team like that. The FA however will allow it, and stop loaned players playing against their owners, therefore shadow teams will play Chelsea and stronger teams will play versus Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United. More trophies for Chelsea, more money for Chelsea.

UEFA are talking about bringing in a rule to limit the amount of foreigners in a team – Chelsea (the first team to play 11 foreigners in a match remember) have pre-empted that by attempting to buy any and all English Talent. I have always hated Chelsea (hate is a strong word, yet highly appropriate) for being driven by money pre-Abramovic, but I cannot find the words to describe my feelings for them now. They are team in the wealthiest part of London, financed by an (allegedly) crooked billionaire, managed by an egotistical pompous attention seeker, adored and lavished with praise by the media and having some of the most arrogant players on the planet. Got to love them haven’t you – everything that’s wrong and crooked within society, and the media love them! Tsunami? Lets talk about it for 3 weeks and then get back to what sells papers – Beckham, who David Walliams is currently shafting, Big Brother, and Chelsea. Marvellous.

The reason that Liverpool devalued the FA cup is due to money, pure and simple. There is no money, no financial incentive, to win the FA cup. You have to pay more win bonuses, pay for more travel, and pay for police to attand the game (and for their horses to p1ss on you!). We would have been on a hiding to nothing, and as far as the club are concerned, better without it. Like it or lump it, this is the ‘football’ we all know now. Moan all you like but unless the FA put some incentive towards winning it (more money or CL qualification) it’ll become like the Copa del Rey – useless.

Unless the FA, UEFA and FIFA start standing up for the little teams (and judging by the farcical G14 ‘superclubs’ they won’t) we will soon have a European League, with only a few having a chance of winning it. Liverpool will either be in it or playing v Hibs in the British Premiership in front of 30,000 fans in a 60,000 capacity ground paying £50 per person for the pleasure. Sounds enticing doesn’t it.

Joe Fagan said to one of our scouts who had been watching a player and had reeled off an assessment of his various abilities, “No, no,” said Joe, “Forget about that. We just want to know……… is he a fcking winner?”

I don’t want to sit in a soulless ground anymore, I don’t want to pay over the odds to watch some fancy tricks with no end product. People rave on about Ronaldo, but all I see is a pompous overpaid child with some fancy stepovers and no end product, a bit like a white, homsexual, Mark Walters. Someone lamp him please.

I just want to see players who want to win, and moreover, want to win for Liverpool. Give me the likes of Ian Nolan, Joey Barton and Neil Lennon anyday. They may not be as skillful as Garcia or Kewell, but by fck they care more. Lets get rid of the highly paid ‘superstars’ that grace the cover of Shoot every week, and get some lads we can be proud of. People slate Josemi, but at leat the slow tw*t wants to win and puts his foot in. Modern football bores me now, I used to watch any football I could, but now I can only bear to watch Liverpool – all I saw in the ten minutes I watched last night of Exeter v Manchester United was 11 arrogant idiots, wondering if their gucci watches would be safe in the dressing rooms.

And NO, I don’t feel better for that rant!

Come on Rafa, we are 100% behind you (some with a knife), lets get some players in we can be proud of, win lose or draw. Lets sing You’ll never walk alone at the top of our lungs again. Lets look sadly and silently at the eternal flame, and remember that 96 died for this club and never witnessed how truly awful football has become.

YNWA.

what a load of Drivel
Matt*Lfc

Postby Dalglish » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:02 am

A geniuine fan has a bit of a rant and all you can do is insult him without reason or argument ? ???

You may not agree with his comments, you may not agree with the sytle but it shows a damn site more heart and passion than your reply mate ???

How long did it take you to come up with your informed and well thought out reply ? 3 , 4 maybe even 5 seconds !

The forum's about debate not cheap shots .....???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:36 am

I fully support the views of st.mike..like to say more but the baby wants her feed.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:49 am

ss. you still breast feeding your baby? :D

Matt*Lfc, please do show some respect to a genuine fan, and if you happen not to agree with him, post your counter argument. I am sure it will carry more weight than a cheap one-liner reply...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redulike » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:35 am

Couldn't agree more Football is dead God bless her!

People who defend Abramovich Chelsea always point to other teams who have won the league with big signings and while we did have more financial clout than most in the Eighties we were only marginally ahead of 5 or 6 other teams. Chelsea have spent double our last 7 years investment in 2 seasons and if they don't win will just do it again. Leeds, RIP, gambled and lost chased the dream and didn't realise it. Chelsea aren't even gambling.

Contrary to most I don't think Abramovich will get bored. You don't spend that much and get bored. Also even if he does he will have to honour his commitments. However I do think a Yukos style seizing of assets is a danger. Mourinho is also a great manager before anybody.

I also beleive the Internet is contributing to the decline of football. The reaction on this and other boards has been hilarious. It's a cup upset get over it. Also to all those who are now writing off the academy players as ****** - were they ****** when they beat Boro and Spurs cos back then apparently the future was bright and Red. These one game reactions are only found here not at the pub and are detrimental to the soul of the Club.

Now my child also needs feeding.
Redulike

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:18 am

slightly off topic...not only is football dead because of greedy players and agents, the men in charge of the club (chairman, chief executive) are to be blame as well. Wonder how when an animal like Peter Kenyon (the most unloyal mfcuker you can find in the game) can screw his old employers over-and-over again (first it was Umbro, then Manure...now screwing Umbro yet again) and laughing his way to the bank, you know loyalty is dead. When a team like Chelsea can dump an expensive player like Kezman all the way to CSKA Moscow, and letting that lazy bu$tard Winston Bogart rot in the reserve for £45K/week, you know there are too much money in the game. But we fans are also to be blame for it was us who encourage companies like Sky to feed our insatiable demand for more football that lead to all the greed. Greed is good? ? ?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:09 am

Football is all about the money now - they are linked permanently, and you have to face that fact.  Oh yes, the average fan can change that, but it would take all of us, every frootball fan from every club, to bunch together, cancel our sky subscriptions, our season tickets, and stop paying the money.  But is that going to happen - no.  So what do we do - we live with it, adapt and move on.  We attract the level of investment necessary to fund our ambitions - world class squad, and a stadium to match.  Without the funds, we will end up satisfied with finishing 4th every year. I, for one, don't want the be sitting in September, hoping we qualify for Europe by the backdoor.  I want, what every fan wants, a team capable of winning the Premiership Championship - we don't have that at the moment.

So I don't think football has died, it has evolved.  We may not like what it has changed into, but we either lump it, or take up supporting lawn tennis - I don't think money has filtered into that elusive of sports.
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:52 am

incidentally, did anyone see that documentary on abramovic last night on bbc2? i taped it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ade » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:04 pm

stmichael wrote:incidentally, did anyone see that documentary on abramovic last night on bbc2? i taped it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. ???

I saw it. It's still a very grey area - no one seems able to pin anything concrete  on Roman, apart from pretty clear cases of money-laundering and embezzling. Well that's surely enough, you say?

not when you've got Vladimir Putin in your pocket. The long and short of it is that Putin came in to power with a tough reputation and wanted to take on the Russian oligarchs. One of them, a guy called Berezovsky, was Roman's mentor, and Putin wanted him sent down.

While Berezovsky was living in exile in Mayfair, Putin wanted to buy Berezovsky's Russian TV channel, for propaganda uses, Putin's war on terror/Chechnya etc. The station was worth a billion pounds, but Putin sent Roman to Berezovsky with an offer he couldn't refuse:  Putin would give Berezovsky just
100 million for the station and release B's best mate from prison. He'd also agree to let Berezovsky off any further action.

Berezovsky had to agree. Putin got the station, Roman Abramovich got Putin's undying gratitude and Berezovsky's friend was not released from jail
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:18 pm

Are you sure it wasn't a James Bond movie you were watching ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:22 pm

I wouldn't put anything past the Russians.  There was talk of them blowing up their own appartment blocks a couple of years ago so that Putin could come to power on the back of a demand to inade Chechnya.

Sneeky Russian b@stards!!!
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:34 pm

great post mikey
it is heart breaking, but looking very true to every word.
sad what is happening now to the game.
turning into baseball with all of the money flying around
a bunch of new york yankees

but what about a luxery tax ???
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion