Florent sinama pongolle - First 11 material

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:21 am

I'm not basing this on last night's game alone. I think the guy is absolutely top drawer. I've advocated playing him on the right for some time now but surely he can't get dropped after last yesterdays performance. First half especially, I thought he was absolutly top drawer. The control and finish for the goal was superb. I've always said that he probably has the best first touch of anybody at the club.

Hardly surprising either that Garcia is pushed more central and all of a sudden he has more of an impact on the game. Add this to the good display from Crouch and things are looking positive going into the manure game on Sunday.

Sinama Pongolle has to start against manure imo. However judging by Rafa's team selection yesterday nothing is guaranteed. :D

What do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:27 am

no....i wouldn't play pongolle on the right either (nor would I play garcia there).

He just ain't a right winger (like garcia). I would play him as our super-sub. Bring him on to change the game. Get him to play more as a striker... This will only improve him.

As for right winger...u noe who i am rooting for there. Gerrard.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:31 am

How can you consider putting Gerrard on the right wing.  He is the heart of the team and needs to be played in the center.

Gerrard is good in every position, including right back, but we need to play our best players in their best positions, otherwise we may as well bring Houllier back.

We do need a right winger, but lets not move our team around, and put square pegs in round holes, just to cover off one position.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:37 am

What do you reckon?

I think you will see

---------------------------Reina

---Finnan--------Carra---------------Hyypia------Traore/warnok?

----------Gerrard-------------------------Alonso
---------------------------Sisoko

----------Garcia----------Crouch----------Zenden

I think Gerrard-Alonso-Sisoko will be in to fight with Fletcher-Schools-Smith

Crouch is a def starter upfront, I feel Garcia and Zenden will play or Pongo in place of Garcia.

Kean is injured so thats a boost for you guys, but I expect it to be a pacy and hard fought game.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:43 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:
What do you reckon?

I think you will see

Crouch is a def starter upfront, I feel Garcia and Zenden will play or Pongo in place of Garcia.

Kean is injured so thats a boost for you guys, but I expect it to be a pacy and hard fought game.

Who is Schools and Kean ? :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:50 am

stmichael wrote:I'm not basing this on last night's game alone. I think the guy is absolutely top drawer. I've advocated playing him on the right for some time now but surely he can't get dropped after last yesterdays performance. First half especially, I thought he was absolutly top drawer. The control and finish for the goal was superb. I've always said that he probably has the best first touch of anybody at the club.

Hardly surprising either that Garcia is pushed more central and all of a sudden he has more of an impact on the game. Add this to the good display from Crouch and things are looking positive going into the manure game on Sunday.

Sinama Pongolle has to start against manure imo. However judging by Rafa's team selection yesterday nothing is guaranteed. :D

What do you reckon?

I see from your posts St Mike that you are a big fan of Pongolle.
I think at this moment while we havent got a right winger he deserves his chance, he played really well first half yesterday as he did last season a few times when he played on the right.
Not only does he have good touch, the lad works hard as well.
He is not afraid to get stuck in, and tracks back.
You are right about Luis as well.
He had a much better game last night, he gave posession away nowhere near as much as against spurs, and you could see the confidence returning to him after his brilliantly taken goal.
If i was Cisse i would be even more worried now than before, because the players that come in done the business.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 am

Pongolle is a great player but I'd choose Crouch or Cisse over him, he's always a player that should be considered as a lot of the time he changes the game when coming off the bench :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:13 am

I liked him on the right side when he was interchanging with Garcia. He's got speed to burn and is not shy about taking on defenders, unlike Garcia who is so frustrating at times with his lack of intenstity when he has the ball. Pongolle has a little fire in his belly and doesn't give it up so easily.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:16 am

stmichael wrote:I liked him on the right side when he was interchanging with Garcia. He's got speed to burn and is not shy about taking on defenders, unlike Garcia who is so frustrating at times with his lack of intenstity when he has the ball. Pongolle has a little fire in his belly and doesn't give it up so easily.

I do like the way he can run at players, not a natural winger but maybe a good choice to use until the window opens again in January  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:21 am

Florent Sinama Pongolle– My 1st choice to fill the vacant right hand side role. He was making huge progress last year when he was cruelly injured coming on as a late substitute. Although he is a natural striker he has experienced playing on the right and he has the right qualities to play there. He has good dribbling skills, a good burst of acceleration, a decent crosser, the ability and willingness to defend, a bit of trickery and a decent passer. In my opinion he should be given a run in the team on the right untill January.

Luis Garcia– His best position is off a main striker when he can roam the width of the pitch. He just looks as though he is uncomfortable on the right, he tries but he can’t really defend.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:24 am

stmichael wrote:I'm not basing this on last night's game alone. I think the guy is absolutely top drawer. I've advocated playing him on the right for some time now but surely he can't get dropped after last yesterdays performance. First half especially, I thought he was absolutly top drawer. The control and finish for the goal was superb. I've always said that he probably has the best first touch of anybody at the club.

What do you reckon?

Ii wouldn't say he will be "dropped" as you put it, because he had a brilliant game.

But its very possible that he will be rotated. As most people should of gathered by now, this is a rafa hallmark.  A good thing IMO.

i must say, loved the way he surprised everyone with his team selection. I saw phil thompson in absolute shock and rage, on SSN, when he found out live what the team selection was and that SG wasn't playing  :D

Thats the difference between someone straght forward and someone two steps ahead of the rest.

Another masters troke by the Chosen one.
109-1093441336

Postby JC_81 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:17 pm

I was as shocked as anyone when Pongolle was included in the first 11 last night, but he certainly didn't let anyone down.

I've always thought he looked a great prospect and he had a great first half of last season also.  Good pace, great first touch and he finally looks like he's starting to fill out a bit and looks less of a light-weight.

As far as playing him on the right, I'm not so sure.  He'll do as good a job there as anyone else we have at the moment, but long term I don't think so.  His natural instinct, like Garcia, seems to be to cut inside rather than hug the touchline and get a cross in.  Can he cross?  Not so sure, but he can certainly finish and that's why I think he's more suited to being a forward in the long-term.

Will he play against the scum?  I don't think anyone can honestly predict our lineup after last night.  He's a competitive little player and might be good in this sort of game, so we'll see.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:33 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:
What do you reckon?

I think you will see

I don't think that this line-up will be far off.  Who will ManUre play wide though?  We're very narrow because of having no natural right-sided midfielder.  I can see them causing us problems with crosses to the Horse's Head, and Rooney's going to cause problems no matter what we do.  Having said that, I don't think we should fear them, or anyone else for that matter.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby mighty mo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:39 pm

he could be our sylvain wiltord,a striker converted into a right winger who scores goals and has pace to burn and always a threat coming inside for scoring chances
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:51 pm

pongo excelled last night considering he's had so few games recently, he looks confident and his touch is fantastic. the goal was an absolute delight.

i have no problem with giving him that right midfield spot for a good run. in a recent interview he said he'd be happy to play out there if the team needed him to do a job and that he's confident he can do that job. here's a guy who wants to play for the team. he's not your classic winger as we all know but that position isn't just about beating your man, getting to the bye line and whipping a good cross in - its about giving a good general width and formation to the team. pongo is good out there because he'll pick up the ball and keep it, maybe take someone on and then cut inside and get himself or a clever ball into or around the box. i'd actually love to see him out right with garcia just behind cisse as our attacking line up. cisse is too often played alone up front which just doesn't work for him. having people like garcia behind giving him the flick-ons and pongo coming in form the right and putting dangerous balls along the ground just in front of him or looking for the one-twos would give him plenty to get hold of. goals will surely follow.

garcia on the other hand will be out there and try and do something too clever with that first touch and too often lose the ball. when it comes off its beautiful but thats about 15.3862% of the time. he's best just off the front man.

anyway, i've said it before and i'll say it again (especially for john craig) - pongo = future kop legend. :)

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion