Florent sinama pongolle - Decision time part 2

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Raoul » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 am

I've always liked 'em, and actually thought that the loan spell represented a significant investment in a young man, particularly with the timing.  Of course, as others say, he may just have not impressed Rafa.

Scrolling through www.brfcs.co.uk, it seems he hasn't impressed the fans at Blackburn much.  Interesting...
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Its a tricky one, as was stated earlier he hasnte set the world on fire, but he has contributed and looks like he could develope much further , the question is if Rafa thinks theres any room for him as one of the 4 main strikers next season,

I think Rafa will keep Crouch and Nando as two of his 4 for next season, we all know hes in for at least one new striker, so that may leave Robbie and Sinoma to fight it out for the last spot, personally its Robbie for me every time but at 31 will Rafa see it like that or will he be looking further ahead than just next season and opt for sinoma, or he may even be contemplating bringing in two new strikers,
My choice would be Crouch -Robbie and 2 new buys.
teamleader1

Postby Bretc » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:56 am

I agree with many of your views here - FSP MUST STAY. He's so much better than Cisse in terms of finishing, skills, technique and game intelligence. I'm still very much puzzled as to why he was loaned out and ranked below Cisse in the striker pecking order. The only reason i can think of is that 1) Rafa might be thinking of using the World Cup as motivation for Cisse to start performing (ok, he's trying hard but he juz doesn't have the ability!) or 2) Showcase Cisse to potential buyers (i wonder who will want to buy him). 3) Poor attitude by FSP (which is a shame).

Of all the strikers we have now, I believe Moro and Cisse will be sold. I'm not sure which striker Rafa will sign but FSP can provide us with another option upfront with his pace which clearly Crouchie and God do not have.
Bretc

Postby The_Rock » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:10 am

puroresu wrote:find it funny when i hear liverpool fans say get david villa.  like it is so easy.. lol

David Villa may not have any interest in coming to england.  why would he wanna leave valencia?  He has had a great season seems very happy!

1)Liverpool are a bigger club than valencia will ever be
2)Liverpool are going places
3)U can't expect valencia to win anything (esp when rafa isn't there anymore)
4)Rafa is our manager
5)Spanish buddies like garcia, alonso, reina & moro

I can think of 5 reasons why DAVID VILLA will leave valencia for us
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby marcus.c » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:33 am

How long are we going to keep giving these sort of chances? If we are serious of fighting for the top sport, we need players that are proven. We do not have all the time in the world to wait. Naturing a player into quality is the youth academy job, not RB. I felt RB did the right thing. EPL is too physical for FSP. Which explains why he always plays well against clubs from the lower leagues.

I think it would be better to sell away all these beach warmers and start buying some quality players.
marcus.c

Postby anti-hero » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:00 am

The_Rock wrote:
puroresu wrote:find it funny when i hear liverpool fans say get david villa.  like it is so easy.. lol

David Villa may not have any interest in coming to england.  why would he wanna leave valencia?  He has had a great season seems very happy!

1)Liverpool are a bigger club than valencia will ever be
2)Liverpool are going places
3)U can't expect valencia to win anything (esp when rafa isn't there anymore)
4)Rafa is our manager
5)Spanish buddies like garcia, alonso, reina & moro

I can think of 5 reasons why DAVID VILLA will leave valencia for us

1) Villa, correct me if I'm wrong, has extented his contract with Valencia.

2) His "buy out" clause is 151 million euros.

3) Valencia has, like Liverpool, Champions League football

4) I think, and feel free to correct me, Rafa wasnt the manager who brought him to Valencia.

5) Though he may be an answer to our striking problem, I doubt he is THE answer. Even if he came to Liverpool, what if he flopped? Considering the amount of money he would cost it would be a huge gamble for any club to try and take him away.

I can think of 5 reasons he wont come to Liverpool..
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 am

I think Rafa has had a word in his ear and said that youll get more chances next season. Sinama knows this otherwise he would have requested a transfer by now.  Hes showed on numerous occasion (notably when were down: against Olympiakos, Luton, World Club Final (he was robbed of this goal)) tha hes capable of playing at this level. Unfortunatley getting as much as we can for Cisse (and maybe Morientes) is important this season as Rafa only needs a few more peices of the jigsaw. So concequently Cisse had to be played over Sinama. Im sure next seasoin were going to see a new look strike force up front. With Sinama, Crouch, Fowler and ? Who that extra striker remains to be seen but as far as im concerned Florent Sinama Pongolle deserves his spot in the 1st team next year. Ill be dissapointed if we sell him in the summer as hes very youg and I can see him featuring for France in Euro 2008 should he step up his game.

What it will come down to is a decison between him and Morientes. Its clear that Rafa really wants Morientes to make it here but I just hope thathe doenst favour him over Sinama when making his decisions. Sinama is a young player with potential under Rafa to develop into a class player where as Morientes is  fading class player struggling to recapture his old form. However if there is one thing Rafa has shown it is that he is willing to make cuts for the good for the team.
Last edited by tubby on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:21 am

puroresu wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I've said it before and i will again, FSP is quality, and should of been first choice this season imo, alongside Crouch.
He has a great touch, plenty of skills and lightening pace.
What rafa-dodd said about being in the right place at the right time is probably fair enough, but it is something that he could develop imo.
Working alongside Fowler would help him, Robbies movement is fantastic and the young frenchman could learn alot from him.
I really hope he will be back next season, like a few have already said, he would of been a far better bet than Cisse down the right, and is better than him in almost every aspect of the game imo.

whats the point of having FSP as RW though.  i not a fan of of playing players out of there positions.  Sinama is not a RW, he has never been a RW and we will never see the best of him as a RW!

Because we are short at the moment in that area, Cisse despite pace, and the occasional decent cross offers nothing.
I would obviously want an actual right winger long term but i wouldnt of had him out on loan this season, i would of played Pongolle on the right, the lad has great feet, also puts in a decent cross and has plenty of pace.
I really think he is in a different league to Cisse.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:33 am

Bad Bob wrote:
The_Rock wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:When we first signed these two "brilliant" players from Le Harve. I really thought Anthony Le Tallec and Flo, would turn into unbelievable players for this club. They had just won the U18 World Cup, with Flo top scorer and Le Tallec voted as the MVP ( I hate this new terminalogy - far too American).
  Supposedly they were two top young talents and every club in the world was after them. However I am afraid, they are just another two "classic" Houllier purchases. FSP has tried really hard for the club and he has popped up with some important goals, Luton and Olimpiakos spring to mind instantly, however I just don't believe he has the necessary attributes to be Liverpool "quality". He is fast, skillful and has a good touch, but he never seems to be in the right place at the right time. He has good footballers qualities, but whenever he starts or comes on, I have no confidence in him getting on the scoresheet and I know many reds who feel the same.
    I think it is time for Flo to leave and I hope we get some decent money for him. However he may come back a different player, younger players have time to learn the game and adapt their play, and I would love it if he came back and proved me wrong. As Harry did, however at his present playing level, he is not good enough for Liverpool FC.

i know i am in the minority here, but i still think ALT has a lot to offer. He was the MVP in the youth world cup. He just can't become a bad player all of a sudden.

He has all the basic attributes to be a top class player
1)Good 1st touch
2)Is fast enuff for this league
3)Good header of the ball
4)Fairly good finisher
5)Passes the ball well

I believe he can become a class player if he is given a chance.

His attitude's a bit of a concern though, mate...and I'm not just talking about his ultimatum to Rafa a season back.

Two poor loan spells--at St. Etienne and Sunderland--have to make you wonder if the kid has the mentality to become a top player.  Frankly, he should have shone in a pish-poor Sunderland team but 4 goals all season tells its own story.  Just doesn't seem to have the hunger needed to play for us, IMHO.

4 goals from how many starts? not including when he's subbed on
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:14 pm

AussieKopite wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
The_Rock wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:When we first signed these two "brilliant" players from Le Harve. I really thought Anthony Le Tallec and Flo, would turn into unbelievable players for this club. They had just won the U18 World Cup, with Flo top scorer and Le Tallec voted as the MVP ( I hate this new terminalogy - far too American).
  Supposedly they were two top young talents and every club in the world was after them. However I am afraid, they are just another two "classic" Houllier purchases. FSP has tried really hard for the club and he has popped up with some important goals, Luton and Olimpiakos spring to mind instantly, however I just don't believe he has the necessary attributes to be Liverpool "quality". He is fast, skillful and has a good touch, but he never seems to be in the right place at the right time. He has good footballers qualities, but whenever he starts or comes on, I have no confidence in him getting on the scoresheet and I know many reds who feel the same.
    I think it is time for Flo to leave and I hope we get some decent money for him. However he may come back a different player, younger players have time to learn the game and adapt their play, and I would love it if he came back and proved me wrong. As Harry did, however at his present playing level, he is not good enough for Liverpool FC.

i know i am in the minority here, but i still think ALT has a lot to offer. He was the MVP in the youth world cup. He just can't become a bad player all of a sudden.

He has all the basic attributes to be a top class player
1)Good 1st touch
2)Is fast enuff for this league
3)Good header of the ball
4)Fairly good finisher
5)Passes the ball well

I believe he can become a class player if he is given a chance.

His attitude's a bit of a concern though, mate...and I'm not just talking about his ultimatum to Rafa a season back.

Two poor loan spells--at St. Etienne and Sunderland--have to make you wonder if the kid has the mentality to become a top player.  Frankly, he should have shone in a pish-poor Sunderland team but 4 goals all season tells its own story.  Just doesn't seem to have the hunger needed to play for us, IMHO.

4 goals from how many starts? not including when he's subbed on

Well, why the hell is he not starting week in, week out for Sunderland?  (Unless, of course, he's injured.) 

If he can't crack into their first team consistently he has no business playing for Liverpool.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RusselStreetRed » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:45 pm

flo will be the new striker signing next season.

The big bucks will go to getting a right winger :)
"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." - Thucydides
RusselStreetRed

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 pm

If Rafa's going to haul Robbie off after 65-75 mins every week, I'd rather he had Flo-Po coming on than the likes of Cisse and Morientes.

I'm positive that the decision to loan him out and keep Cisse is one linked to the fact that Cisse had next to no market value back in January.

Next season I'd be happy with a strike force of Crouch, Fowler, Pongolle and a quality new signing.

People have made the point that Pongolle isn't a prolific striker, but he's only participated in 23 games this season. Bearing in mind that only 10 of those have been starts, with many subs appearances being very late on, and I for one sympathise with the guy. Like any striker, with a sustained run he'll do a job for you.
ivor_the_injun

Postby tubby » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:12 am

Striker issues quit threat    Wed, Apr 19 2006 10:44
Florent Sinama Pongolle has confirmed he is prepared to leave Anfield, with Blackburn ready to make his loan spell permanent. 
The 21-year-old is nearing the end of a season-long stint at Ewood Park and admits he has relished the first team opportunities on offer away from Merseyside.
With Reds boss Rafa Benitez plotting a summer restructuring of his forward ranks, the French starlet has warned he may quit the club if new arrivals see him frozen out further.

Pongolle said: "If he (Benitez) signs two new strikers, I won't go back. It would be impossible.

"I'm 21 years old and I need to play, I want to play. It's difficult and frustrating when you are sat on the bench and not involved in a game.

"I know Blackburn have spoken to my agent about staying, which is good for me, but nothing has been decided. I'm still thinking about my future because I know I face an important decision at the end of the season."
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:57 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:If Rafa's going to haul Robbie off after 65-75 mins every week, I'd rather he had Flo-Po coming on than the likes of Cisse and Morientes.

I'm positive that the decision to loan him out and keep Cisse is one linked to the fact that Cisse had next to no market value back in January.

Next season I'd be happy with a strike force of Crouch, Fowler, Pongolle and a quality new signing.

People have made the point that Pongolle isn't a prolific striker, but he's only participated in 23 games this season. Bearing in mind that only 10 of those have been starts, with many subs appearances being very late on, and I for one sympathise with the guy. Like any striker, with a sustained run he'll do a job for you.

i wouldn't.  In my opinion, even if Fowler stays, we need 2 quality strikers.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:11 pm

bavlondon wrote:Striker issues quit threat   

Pongolle said: "If he (Benitez) signs two new strikers, I won't go back. It would be impossible.

"I'm 21 years old and I need to play, I want to play. It's difficult and frustrating when you are sat on the bench and not involved in a game.

Doesn't suprise me , confirms what I said in this thread last week.

Can't blame the lad , I'm just gutted that Rafa continues to support the likes of Morientes and Cisse while this lad is farmed out on loan

:angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion