Florent sinama pongolle - Decision time part 2

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:I've said it before and i will again, FSP is quality, and should of been first choice this season imo, alongside Crouch.
He has a great touch, plenty of skills and lightening pace.
What rafa-dodd said about being in the right place at the right time is probably fair enough, but it is something that he could develop imo.
Working alongside Fowler would help him, Robbies movement is fantastic and the young frenchman could learn alot from him.
I really hope he will be back next season, like a few have already said, he would of been a far better bet than Cisse down the right, and is better than him in almost every aspect of the game imo.

whats the point of having FSP as RW though.  i not a fan of of playing players out of there positions.  Sinama is not a RW, he has never been a RW and we will never see the best of him as a RW!
puroresu

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:49 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:When we first signed these two "brilliant" players from Le Harve. I really thought Anthony Le Tallec and Flo, would turn into unbelievable players for this club. They had just won the U18 World Cup, with Flo top scorer and Le Tallec voted as the MVP ( I hate this new terminalogy - far too American).
  Supposedly they were two top young talents and every club in the world was after them. However I am afraid, they are just another two "classic" Houllier purchases. FSP has tried really hard for the club and he has popped up with some important goals, Luton and Olimpiakos spring to mind instantly, however I just don't believe he has the necessary attributes to be Liverpool "quality". He is fast, skillful and has a good touch, but he never seems to be in the right place at the right time. He has good footballers qualities, but whenever he starts or comes on, I have no confidence in him getting on the scoresheet and I know many reds who feel the same.
    I think it is time for Flo to leave and I hope we get some decent money for him. However he may come back a different player, younger players have time to learn the game and adapt their play, and I would love it if he came back and proved me wrong. As Harry did, however at his present playing level, he is not good enough for Liverpool FC.

i know i am in the minority here, but i still think ALT has a lot to offer. He was the MVP in the youth world cup. He just can't become a bad player all of a sudden.

He has all the basic attributes to be a top class player
1)Good 1st touch
2)Is fast enuff for this league
3)Good header of the ball
4)Fairly good finisher
5)Passes the ball well

I believe he can become a class player if he is given a chance.

As for pongolle, he could make a good super-sub for us.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:05 pm

The_Rock wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:When we first signed these two "brilliant" players from Le Harve. I really thought Anthony Le Tallec and Flo, would turn into unbelievable players for this club. They had just won the U18 World Cup, with Flo top scorer and Le Tallec voted as the MVP ( I hate this new terminalogy - far too American).
  Supposedly they were two top young talents and every club in the world was after them. However I am afraid, they are just another two "classic" Houllier purchases. FSP has tried really hard for the club and he has popped up with some important goals, Luton and Olimpiakos spring to mind instantly, however I just don't believe he has the necessary attributes to be Liverpool "quality". He is fast, skillful and has a good touch, but he never seems to be in the right place at the right time. He has good footballers qualities, but whenever he starts or comes on, I have no confidence in him getting on the scoresheet and I know many reds who feel the same.
    I think it is time for Flo to leave and I hope we get some decent money for him. However he may come back a different player, younger players have time to learn the game and adapt their play, and I would love it if he came back and proved me wrong. As Harry did, however at his present playing level, he is not good enough for Liverpool FC.

i know i am in the minority here, but i still think ALT has a lot to offer. He was the MVP in the youth world cup. He just can't become a bad player all of a sudden.

He has all the basic attributes to be a top class player
1)Good 1st touch
2)Is fast enuff for this league
3)Good header of the ball
4)Fairly good finisher
5)Passes the ball well

I believe he can become a class player if he is given a chance.

His attitude's a bit of a concern though, mate...and I'm not just talking about his ultimatum to Rafa a season back.

Two poor loan spells--at St. Etienne and Sunderland--have to make you wonder if the kid has the mentality to become a top player.  Frankly, he should have shone in a pish-poor Sunderland team but 4 goals all season tells its own story.  Just doesn't seem to have the hunger needed to play for us, IMHO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dmf » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:09 pm

I agree Le tallec played a great game against juve last season and if he can do well against them he should be able to do well against anyone
dmf

Postby lakes10 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:12 pm

i think Cisse , Pongolle are gone and i fear that Robie has also going to be gone, but i fear more that we will end up with some second class spanish striker
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:31 pm

I was disappointed to see FSP go on loan as i thought he  could have been a far better option than cissie during our striking crisis. he has a good attitude but is a young lad who wants to play first team football, and when he did he usually produced, you cannot blame the lad for getting annoyed...

Rafa isn't blind and can see the lad has talent and desire to do well, but behind closed doors you don't know what he is like in training which seems to be something that rafa is big on, team work and unity, i know the french click used to to a big thing under houlier

I was hoping both FSP and ALT were going to be world beaters when they came as juve were casing them but ALT seems to have lost the edge to take him to the top i don't think he will come back.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:39 pm

lakes10 wrote:i think Cisse , Pongolle are gone and i fear that Robie has also going to be gone, but i fear more that we will end up with some second class spanish striker

Come on...david villa ain't 2nd class  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:47 pm

and david villa isn't coming due to his 125mill pound buy out clause on his recently signed contract ???
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby puroresu » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:01 pm

find it funny when i hear liverpool fans say get david villa.  like it is so easy.. lol

David Villa may not have any interest in coming to england.  why would he wanna leave valencia?  He has had a great season seems very happy!
puroresu

Postby Rafa D » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:20 pm

dmf wrote:I agree Le tallec played a great game against juve last season and if he can do well against them he should be able to do well against anyone

Not jumping on your back mate but one good game does not mean ALT can mix is with the best of them.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Bad Bob wrote:With the transfer season creeping up and plenty of questions floating about regarding our current crop of forwards it seems like the right time to discuss the Liverpool future of our pacey Frenchman.

No, not that one...I'm talking about Pongo!

It seems the lad has dropped off the radar a bit this season--primarily due to his loan move to Blackburn--and is in danger of being the forgotten man in the forward calculus.

He hasn't exactly set the league on fire since he's arrived yet I can't help but think he's still got plenty to offer the team.  He's got pace to burn, a lovely touch, a nice eye for goal and a good work ethic.  He can play out wide in a pinch and he's got many good years ahead of him.  In fact, he seems to offer everything that Cisse does and much more.

IMHO it would be a mistake to let him go at this point as I think the kid will turn out to be quality.

Having said that, his sale might help finance a significant piece of transfer business this summer.

What do people think...give him more time or cash in now?

Good post Stu!! :)

I would give him one more season away...yes even at dirty Blackburn!! In hindsight of my first opinions on his lone i actually feel Blackburn was a good choice!!
They are renowned for their physical approach to a game so basically teams that play them try and play tough!Its usually a very rampant game with lots of old fashioned 'British' (Hope im allowed to say that,sorry for any offence caused in advance) tackles!!

What i mean by this is that i felt that this is the one aspect of his game that needed more work than most..basically he needed to toughen up a bit !!
Hopefully he has,he looks to be carrying a bit more weight and is not getting knocked off the ball as easy as before!
I'd definately give him one more season then take him back and give the lad a chance...its easy saying this cause how do we know who we'll have upfront next year??

Hell fu.ck it ....bring him back and give him a chance !!!
The lad has something..we'll only know how good he can be if we give him a proper run and chance in a good team!!!
66-1120597113

Postby curly_whirly » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:45 am

When Pongo arrived with Le Tallec, i thought FSP was goin to be the player out of the two who was forgotten about, but in my mind he's the one who has improved during his time here with us.
He's got pace, skills, first touch, and the goals he has scored last year in the CL, not including this year in spain, and against Luton.
We need to keep him, i would prefer to see him in the team or on the bench rather than Cisse who i'm getting to dislike the more he plays. Pongo is still young, and he knows it, and is willing to learn with ever game he plays as he's got the hunger (more than can be said of Cisse) but he needs the games, to i thought he was goin to get that esp after his displays at the beginning for the season, but its not working out for him. Rafa needs to be more patient with the lad, but he is the boss and knows best. 
I really do hope Pongo stays and Cisse leaves.
- Curls -

*Hail Rafa - Long May He Continue!!*

Question - how can you start a topic? do you have to have posted a certain number of posts before you can submit a brand new topic? Also how do u add pictures to signatures?
curly_whirly

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:01 am

Personally, I would like Pongo to stay. I believe he has a lot to offer, and is the only other unpredictable player in our squad other than Garcia. (Not as good when they're both firing, but better at their worst, if that makes any sense!?! :O :D )

However. On an unselfish basis, if Rafa has no room in his plans for the lad, then he has to sell him. It would be unfair on him to keep him at a club where he is not wanted.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dmf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:44 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
dmf wrote:I agree Le tallec played a great game against juve last season and if he can do well against them he should be able to do well against anyone

Not jumping on your back mate but one good game does not mean ALT can mix is with the best of them.

i think that game showed he can compete with the big boys he just hasn't been given the chance to do it consistently with us. i think he could be a good player for us but in saying that if i had to decide who stayed out of him and flo i'd be choicing flo
dmf

Postby Scottbot » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:04 am

Liverpool want Florent Sinama-Pongolle, currently on loan to Blackburn, back next season. (The People)

Saw this on the BBC Sport Gossip column this morning.

The general consensus on here seems to agree that Pongo is a rreal talent who should realy be playing at the club right now (and not at Blackburn)

I'm a big fan of Pongo and feel that he has performed pretty well just about every time he has been given a chance. He scored the winner at home to Saints in a rare start last season but i do think that his heroics against Olympiakos and Luton might have convinced Rafa that he is best used as a supersub when opposition legs are tiring.

The lad has a lot of qualities. He's quick (although not as quick as Cisse), he can beat a man with a few tricks (can't remember who it was against but i can remember him beating 3 players at once on the left touchline in a game last season), he's a decent finisher, uses tha ball intelligently and is considerably stronger than he was a couple of years ago. It wouldn't be ideal to play him wide right but i do remember him playing a very good game there in the win against Arsenal last season.

However (despite what the press might say) i'm pretty sure he will be playing elsewhere next season. The fact that Rafa decided to keep Cisse (ahead of Flo) this season seems to confirm this.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion