Five lfc youngsters released - Including a couple of surprises

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu May 18, 2006 10:27 am

Must be a real body blow to these guys, but none really looked like they had a prayer of breaking through into the first team.

Am a little surprised by Foy's departure, as he was highly touted for a while, and may yet become a Prem player. Calliste too, while raw, has been a prolific scorer for the reserves, and looked like, in time, he may have taken on a bit of Mellor's mantle - a reserve player who scores himself into the first team squad.

All the best to all of them.  :)

From lfc.tv

FIVE YOUNG REDS TO BE RELEASED
Mark Platt 18 May 2006 

Liverpoolfc.tv can officially reveal that five youngsters will be released by the club when their contracts end this summer. 

Robbie Foy, Ramon Calliste, Paul Willis, Paul Lancaster, Calum Woods have all been told they are not being retained for next season and are free to look for new clubs.

None of the above managed to break into the first team, although Scottish under-21 international Foy, who spent a spell out on loan at Wrexham last season, was an unused substitute in a Carling Cup tie against Tottenham in 2004.

Welsh under-21 striker Calliste, who signed on a one-year contract last summer, was a regular for the reserves last season, while Willis, Lancaster and Woods were fringe members of the second string squad.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 2520years » Thu May 18, 2006 10:33 am

It's always a shame and we wish them all the best.  In the long run it'll probably be the best thing for them.  If they're not going to break into the first team at Liverpool they're better off trying to break through at another club.  They'll be gutted for a few days, but their c.v.'s look good already (played for LFC reserves!) so, hopefully, they'll be snapped up.
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby lakes10 » Thu May 18, 2006 10:38 am

bit of a shock that we let Robbie Foy go, we should have used him as a sub a few more times and then sold him and made a bit of money. on a footnot to this it seems that he might be on his way to southend united going by the local radio.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu May 18, 2006 11:44 am

Must be very hard for young players to take such a big blow at such an early age especially when they MAY see their places taken by Salif Diao/LeTallec/Cheyrou/Pongolle/Mellor who have all had a decent crack at top level football. I personally wish em well and thank em for their efforts.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Thu May 18, 2006 11:57 am

These guys aren't 16/17yr olds if I'm not mistaken, they're all around 19/20.  If Benitez doesn't see them getting a crack at the first team next season then he's doing the best thing for both LFC and those players' careers by letting them go and get experience at a lower league club.  It'll be hard for them to take right now of course and I wish them well.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu May 18, 2006 12:44 pm

john craig wrote:These guys aren't 16/17yr olds if I'm not mistaken, they're all around 19/20.  If Benitez doesn't see them getting a crack at the first team next season then he's doing the best thing for both LFC and those players' careers by letting them go and get experience at a lower league club.  It'll be hard for them to take right now of course and I wish them well.

good point.  in fact , i'm pretty sure that Calliste is 21 now.  They will all probably go into Championship sides and take their careers from there.  Mind you, if Rafa says they arn't good enough, then obviously....they arn't good enough!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:32 pm

Looks like  Wrexham and Southend are going to fight over Foy
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu May 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Yeah, from what I can gather they're all 19/20 years old and a couple of them have already been out on loan for short spells at lower league clubs (like Stockport and Wrexham).

The biggest disappointment will be for Calum Woods as he's a local lad.  Calliste has already been on ManUre's books so he's been through it before.  I think Foy is just too small.  Also, Willis was never going to get much chance behind Reina, Dudek, Carson and Kirkland.

I'm sure they'll get contracts somewhere for next season.
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 2520years » Thu May 18, 2006 2:38 pm

lakes10 wrote:Looks like  Wrexham and Southend are going to fight over Foy

Earlier this season Foy went to Wrexham on loan for three months if I'm right.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:39 pm

I guess they just didn't fit into anybody's plans. Good luck to them all though and they may still get to play some premiership football if they slog it out in the Championship for a couple of seasons.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:43 pm

2520years wrote:
lakes10 wrote:Looks like  Wrexham and Southend are going to fight over Foy

Earlier this season Foy went to Wrexham on loan for three months if I'm right.

yer he did, as i see it there is no fight, Southend will be in the Championship next year and Wrexham will be still in L2.
unless he knows he can walk into a firts team place at Wrexham
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alessandromagno » Thu May 18, 2006 2:48 pm

Hope Rafa doesn't get rid of Pongo. He's quality, IMHO.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Thank God Rafa has the guts to clear the dead-wood out to make way for true potential.

If only Houllier had done that. :(

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 18, 2006 5:05 pm

Rafa's plan seems to be the classical Spanish "B" team, in which mostly only very young players are in that team.

In that kind of team, if a 21 lad has done no merits to break into he first squad, normally he's fired. But there are some exceptions always, specially on centre backs and keepers.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laurence_2k2 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:45 pm

bit sad and dissapointed bout young paul willis' release,heard good reports bout the young belfast lad
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion