Five lfc youngsters released - Including a couple of surprises

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu May 18, 2006 6:44 pm

time to clean up the squad is seems, and its just only the beginning, i will be wondering whos gonna get culled next
onizukaeikichi

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 18, 2006 7:21 pm

i`m not sure who said it but i recall a manager (might have been harry redknapp) saying that is the worst aspect of the job letting young lads go.
he said when you let senior pro`s go its not nice but usually these fella`s have had long career`s and are very secure financially but he said when you let young lads go you feel like your wrecking their dreams.
good luck to the lads in the future and i hope they have good careers.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby NCRedFan7 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 pm

I've been watching a bunch of the reserve match highlights on LFC.tv, and here are my impressions of this issue:

Ramon Calliste: :censored: poor attitude.  Classic troublemaker type.  Not a phenomenal player.  Won't miss him.

Robbie Foy: Hard worker.  Decent pace.  His only problem is that he's nothing spectacular or highly notable at this point, and with the clock running down, it is in his best interests to move along.

The main theory floating around right now is that the main reason for this change is to promote some of the youth cup winners up to the full reserve team and to make space some of the players had to be culled.  I can certainly see the case for that, what with the emergence of Adam Hamill and, my personal favorite, Paul Anderson.  I think it is a very well designed plan, and besides, who am I to question Rafa?

-NCRedFan7
NCRedFan7

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu May 18, 2006 8:17 pm

There's nothing worse for a young lad's career than stringing him along through his early 20s, when it's clear that he's not going to break through.

There's no doubt that there is a future for all of the young guys we have at the club, but maybe they'll have to step down a class or two. No shame in that - not everyone's cut out to be an LFC first teamer.

As I said earlier - the best of luck to all of them. I hope their opportunites elsewhere come around in good time for the new season. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 18, 2006 8:19 pm

Let's be honest, after Calliste signing only a 1 year deal at the start of the seaon it was sort of a trial really. He didn't impress and was let go. As for the other lads, they were old enough to play first team but not good enough. Rafa has probably done the right thing.

As it was said Lancaster and Woods were fringe members of the second string squad so if they can't get into the reserve team, they cannot get into the first team.

Good luck to the lads though. Just hope they get contracts at other clubs and that the decision to let them go does not come back and bite us in the ar5e :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion