Finnan in midfield?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simic_ie » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:09 pm

I don't tink Finnan should be sent anywhere... every1 is saying he was ok but not spectacular..... this my friends is what you call a squad player... someone who will come in and cover a position without f*king it up. We need these kind of players in our squad so we have cover when the better more spectacular players are out missing. Sure we need a right winger but Finnan did the job for us last night and is an important part of our squad imo
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:13 pm

Finnan linked with Spurs switch

Tottenham are the latest club to be linked with Liverpool's out of favour right-back Steve Finnan.

Just twelve months into his Anfield career, the Irish international has been usurped in the reds starting line up by new Spanish signing Josemi, and a proposed £2m move to Blackburn has yet to be finalised.

Finnan has also been linked with a move to former club Fulham, but with Spurs now looking to replace Finnan's Republic of Ireland team mate, Stephen Carr, who has just left for Newcastle, a move to White Hart Lane is likely to hold greater appeal for the 28-year-old from Limerick.

Santini had been hoping to hold onto Carr, but Newcastle's dogged persistence of the full-back has finally paid off and leaves Spurs with 20-year-old Stephen Kelly as their only recognised right-back - although Mauricio Taricco is likely to start the season in that position.

Republic of Ireland Under-21 captain Kelly impressed when filling in for Carr last season, but Santini wants to bring in a more experienced replacement for Carr before the transfer window closes.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:13 pm

simic_ie wrote:I don't tink Finnan should be sent anywhere... every1 is saying he was ok but not spectacular..... this my friends is what you call a squad player... someone who will come in and cover a position without f*king it up. We need these kind of players in our squad so we have cover when the better more spectacular players are out missing. Sure we need a right winger but Finnan did the job for us last night and is an important part of our squad imo

good point

i dont see him as our answer to right mid neither does rafa but it gives him time to get players in as he doesnt look out of place there
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:19 pm

I'd like to see a few more players coming in before we let go of anymore :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:46 pm

simic_ie wrote:I don't tink Finnan should be sent anywhere... every1 is saying he was ok but not spectacular..... this my friends is what you call a squad player... someone who will come in and cover a position without f*king it up. We need these kind of players in our squad so we have cover when the better more spectacular players are out missing. Sure we need a right winger but Finnan did the job for us last night and is an important part of our squad imo

agree with simic here, Finnan is just a temporary fill in until hopefully we sign a true right winger, a good sqaud player, we need him, to add depth to the squad.

on the defensive mid thing, Xabi Alonso (if he signs) and Gerrard are both very well rounded players, both have attacking and defensive qualities, and would complememt each other very well.
If one pushes forward then the other can cover for him and so on. We need a true right winger, who gives us width and can provide quality crosses, unfortunately people like this are a rare commodity and good ones like Joaquin, Becks etc cost bucket loads.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:59 pm

Finnan is a decent player, a better RB than RM but can fill in at both. The squad is looking pretty thin right now so it would make sense to keep the lad. Josemi looked pretty solid to me but i would rather wait an see how he gets on before selling off another Right-back.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:16 pm

Im for keeping him adds strength to the squad bit would prefer a more natural right midfielder who attacks more

Finnan whilst decent does not look like he has the qualities of a true midfielder
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobG14 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:02 pm

Finnan should not be playing right back never mind right midfield. The arrival of josemi will hopefully signal that his time is up at liverpool. We urgently need a right sided player and i am sure we will get one, finnan is too lightweight and not good enough for liverpool.
RobG14

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:13 pm

finnan did well last night. his crossing was excellent too. i wont like to see him loose his place. But thats life :(
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:16 pm

RobG14 wrote:Finnan should not be playing right back never mind right midfield. The arrival of josemi will hopefully signal that his time is up at liverpool. We urgently need a right sided player and i am sure we will get one, finnan is too lightweight and not good enough for liverpool.

oh right.

just like riise's rubbish and diouf is the best thing since sliced bread then. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:18 pm

Josemi looked pretty good but did sometimes "dive in" . Hope he keeps his discipline in the premiership .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:19 pm

i would certainly put money on josemi picking up the most bookings for us this season. he certainly doesn't back out of anything. i can't wait for him to boot ronaldo into row z when we play the scum. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby akumaface » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:21 pm

I think its better to keep finnan because he is a versatile player who would make a perfect sub. We don't have lots of depth at RB either. Other than putting Carra back there, Otsomober is the next in the depth chart. So, unless it is necessary, we should keep him.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm

benitez reckons his throws are llong and that was another reason for buyin him but riises are much longer
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:37 pm

Longer ... 8inches before or after ?? :O
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion