Finnan goin aswell

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:07 am

Although I dont highly rate Finnan were going to have no bloody team left what about when players get injured our bench is going to be empty ???

FINNAN NEXT OUT OF ANFIELD

STEVE FINNAN is set to join Tottenham in a £2million deal as Rafael Benitez continues his clear-out at Liverpool.

Liverpool have received a formal inquiry from Spurs for Finnan, who cost £3.5m from Fulham 14 months ago, and he is poised to return to the capital.

Spurs coach Jacques Santini wants a new right-back after losing Stephen Carr to Newcastle.

Blackburn are also keen on Finnan, although Graeme Souness is only interested in a season-long loan deal.

Boss Benitez would be willing to let Finnan go after replacing him at right-back with Josemi. Finnan's fee would go towards Benitez's transfer kitty and the Spaniard has shown this summer that he is prepared to sacrifice players from the British Isles to fund his rebuilding work.

He is closing in on a double swoop for Spanish international midfielder Xavi Alonso and winger Luis Garcia. Liverpool have agreed a £10.5m fee with Alonso's club Real Sociedad and are close to shaking hands on a four-year-contract with the 22-year-old.

Benitez also hopes to complete the £6m capture of Garcia from Barcelona and the arrival of the two Spaniards could speed Dietmar Hamann's departure.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:13 am

mmmmmmmmmmm.......................... maybe this is why raffas giving the kids a chance to fill in for injuries wouldnt suprise me like in the slightest we got some good kids there MO an SG came thru from there lets hope we got a better MO just waiting to be given a chance :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:19 am

I would have thought he would want to keep Finnan even if just as cover for RBack or RMid. We do seem to be getting a bit thin in the squad and why does Biscan get to stay? he must have a charmed life.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:20 am

:laugh:  :p  :laugh: biscan
what about diao :Oo:  he gets to stay 2

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:24 am

Maybe its because we cant even pay someone to take them away :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:25 am

yer true probably is the reason  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :angry:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:20 am

Finnan is a very good player, didn't have a good season but that is sometimes the way at a new club, and it was a team low on confidence. selling him for £2m would be stupid.

We were all delighted to sign him last year, he is very good.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:24 am

You need a squad to win the league not a team.
I feel  a lot better to see guys coming through the door before more get their marching orders.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:58 am

Maybe just maybe he wants to bring in players that he feels suit his game better then that at present and to do that he also needs to offload players to raise finance!
I'm not too worried with Finnan leaving, he looks out of place in midfield and in Josemi Carra Ostemabor we have plenty of cover for right back! As for right mid it looks like garcia will be following Nunez!
So i'm happy whats happening!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:02 am

I dont know about selling him as it would be nice to have cover at the back although I dont see him as a first choice but he's no midfielder
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:09 am

laza wrote:You need a squad to win the league not a team.
I feel  a lot better to see guys coming through the door before more get their marching orders.

2 la liga titles in the last 3 years................enough said.
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:17 am

Well said maximus
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:19 am

Also, remember to look at the long term.  Does any1 actually thing we can win the league this year?  Remember Arsenal and Chelski - they are still winning games.

No - this year will be a building time, weeding out those not good enough - we have a very high % of "squad" players in our first team.

I think next year is a more realistic time to do the treble.  This year we'll have to make do with the FA Cup and CL. :D
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:32 am

I agree, this year is a rebuilding year. If we win anything while we are at it, it will be a bonus to us. Back to the topic, Finnan is going because he still has value. As for the other underachievers we have, no one wants them and we are stuck with them. I suppose Rafa will get a CB before the transfer deadline. Carragher will probably going back to the bench if that happens.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby XSD » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:59 am

well, I had hoped rafa would get rid of the bad players not the good ones. I guess that is off considering the only one we might be lucky enough to get off our wages conviniently picked up a long-term injury :)
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion