Finnan goin aswell

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:31 pm

Stuff this loan lark, either sell them and gets funds for somebody better or keep em as cover
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:07 pm

i like the way Benitez is working because his standards are very high- he's basically saying any players who are not good enough to win the lge or champs lge will be replaced. There is no point keeping players who are not good enough (dont forget they are earning a fortune).
As for Biscan- I'm sure he's not in Benitez long term plans but he is so versatile he may as well keep him for midfield and defence cover until he has more cash available to bring in world class players.- Its gonna take at least another summer to get the players together that we need- we still need many more to have competition for all positions. I've become sick of watching players players playing consistantly bad and still guarantee a first team place.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby Gerrard#1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:13 pm

Im not sure wat is right and wat is rong at the moment as my friends tell me Danny going is a gud thing but i am not so sure but no i dont personally think he shud go
U say get over him, i say get under him!!:P
Gerrard#1

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:13 pm

Finnan did ok against Graz and Spurs and his crosses from free kicks were good, but the guy lacks agression.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Gerrard#1 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:16 pm

Yeah but do u have 2 b agressive
U say get over him, i say get under him!!:P
Gerrard#1

Postby JBG » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:26 pm

To exceed at any sport you need aggression.

I don't mean Vinnie Jones or John Fashanu aggression, but Finnan is afraid to push himself in games. Josemi already looks a far better player and a lot of that is down to being more aggressive than Finnan.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:13 pm

selling finnan would be a big mistake. we'll only have 2 right sided players on the team with smicer out and murphy gone if we sell finnan. nunez and josemi. and we dont even know what nunez is like. he could turn out to be useless. finnan would be more than adequate as cover for the right side. the only thing that worries me about him is his strength(or lack of it). he tends to be muscled out of it a good bit. But he gave to decent displays against graz and spurs and his crosses were very good. some were landed right on hyypias head. keep him.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:25 pm

Great news. Benitez is really doing his best to clear out the failures and correct the Fool's wrongdoings. Finnan is a nice guy. That's all. And you know, nice guys always finish last. I agree with the posters that Finnan's main weaknesses are his lack of physical strenght and determination. When the going gets tough, Finnan goes missing. He looks like a girl trapped in a man's body. He can probably play in a mid table team, but he will never win big throphies. Big throphies is what Liverpool is all about, or at least what Liverpool should be. Benitez is my man. For years I've been upset over some of our mediocre players, and the pure lack of skills they display. And most of all I've been upset because we have lacked formation and strategy. Now Benitez is correcting this. Reports has it that they are working very hard on the tactical side of the game, and how to attack and defend as a UNIT. He will sign no more Finnans, Murphys, Biscans, Diaos, Cheyrous, Kippes, Traores, Diomedes.... He will not waste 11 millions on Heskeys or Dioufs. He is much smarter than that. Benitez knows what he is doing and he will win the league for us.

Some say they are concerned about us having a small squad and Benitez selling squad players. I am not worried. I think this is a good move. We should have a smaller squad, and we should also use academy players as back up to our big name players. Houllier sold Steven Wright and bought Finnan. That was a big mistake. He also replaced Thompson with Cheyrou. Another astonishing mistake. Hopefully under Benitez academy players will get more of a chance to prove their worth. And selling 28 year old squad players like Murphy and Finnan will make it easier for our youngsters to get into the team. Well done Benitez.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:35 pm

You're nearly as big a dick as theHustler, the only thing is people just ignore you.

Go to a game and get a clue lad.
115-1073096938

Postby Big Niall » Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 pm

Finnan isn't an aggressive person, so what, either were guys like Gary Lineker, Alan Hanson, Dennis Irwin and all of those guys were the best in the league at their position (Rush might complain about Lineker though).

There's a lot to be said for staying calm under pressure, otherwise bring back Julian Dicks.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clint » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:07 pm

i think john obstemabor is a far better player than finnian anyway so it aint like we havent got cover, with at least 2 more midfielders coming in i dont see a problem with us offloading him, and every 1 is sayin why is igor and salif still here, look at it like this if u were southamton,portsmouth,spurs or blackburn would u spend money on them exactly, who knows they could be turnin on the style in training and could be our secret weapons :p  lol
clint

Postby madred » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:10 pm

Igor and Salif are turning on the style at Melwood. Igor just got a new armani suit and Salif had new braids put into his hair :D
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:23 pm

stapo1000 wrote:selling finnan would be a big mistake. we'll only have 2 right sided players on the team with smicer out and murphy gone if we sell finnan. nunez and josemi. and we dont even know what nunez is like. he could turn out to be useless. finnan would be more than adequate as cover for the right side. the only thing that worries me about him is his strength(or lack of it). he tends to be muscled out of it a good bit. But he gave to decent displays against graz and spurs and his crosses were very good. some were landed right on hyypias head. keep him.

Semi and Partridge both play Right side
Plus the fact that Benitez is willing to play the youngsters means something!
Dont forget he is still trying to lure Garcia here who is able to play wide right and Left!

I'm glad that deadwood is being chopped and a better 1st team is being assembled the squad will come in time with hopefully more youngsters coming through the ranks!

I remember Wenger made a good 11 first! Now look at how strong his squad is!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:58 pm

:laugh:  :D  :laugh:  lol madred
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:09 pm

Semmy's defending abilities are of about a division 2 or 3 standard. I.E. his marking, positional play, tackling (slightly better than the others but not great), decision making off the ball and team play in a defensive situation. Regularly in the premier league he'd get ripped to shreds.

Physically he's superb, his pace, agility, balance, fitness, stamina and strength all look sopt on. Better than alot of premiership players.

Technically he has a good touch, is a decent dribbler and is a good passer and looks half decent in the air. I've not realy seen his crossing ability.

Mentally he looks quite aggressive, has bottle, looks determined, and works hard. He's a willing runner and offers the team an outlet. His reading of the game is however very average, against maybe dvision 1 or 2 standard.

Opinion, division 1 standard player at the moment, with loan move and coaching could become a premiership player for next season.

If he can get to a premiership level and win a place he'd improve to about the same level as Ashley Cole i would think. Maybe even slightly better. However he needs to have the right attitude which is something he's been said not to have.

Time will tell.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion