Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 am

I think he's got what it takes to make it. For sure there's some improvements to be made and learning to be done, particularly in his crude and naive attempts to gain free-kicks but he has a quality which is obviously very rare in a player so young.

I commented after the Villa game that he has the appearance of being able to glide when he has the ball, a flow which only the very best posess and his goal on Sunday displayed a knack for going by a man which is God given and instinctive. I suspect Ben Haim is not the quickest but the key to the manoevre is not the disparity in pace between attacker and defender, it's the subtle and almost indiscernable shift of body wieght by Torres which causes Ben Haim to become momentarily rooted to the spot. 'Course then you need that instinct, that appreciation of the moment to "glide" away from the man before he can restore his momentum. Time it it as perfectly as Torres did on Sunday and you literally get the impression that one player is stood still and letting the other walk around him. I suspect the young Spaniard doesn't even know himself how he does it, but it was and is no fluke and you can expect to see similar movements from him as the season progresses.

The finish was good, but I'll stand by my original impression and that of Sabre that this isn't the most natural part of his game. My feeling is that we'll have to endure many misses until he "learns" how to do the eyes, to finish with subtlety and to become the striker which I believe he can.

He's better in the air than you would imagine, but he doesn't depend on flick ons and knock downs to get into the game. This is definately more of a help than a hinderance as it makes it much harder for the John Terry's of this World to get into his face and rough him up.

As his predesessor and countryman Morientes learned, footballing talent is never enough in England unless it's allied to a fierce desire to impose your talent on the game. Torres, while having more of a chance as he's a different type of player, (it was always asking a lot for a Spanish "English style" centre forward to be allowed to operate without opposition defenders asking him to demonstrate English qualities) will still find many a central defender asking him to show that he is man, not only in ability but in his heart. My feeling is that if he can overcome this, sometimes the biggest hurdle of all, he can be a success in English football.

I'm glad we bought him and I like him. I'd tell him to forget about winning free-kicks, stay on his feet and let his talent do the talking. Don't get embroiled in push and shoves with defenders who excell at that sort of thing, rise above it. If he can do these things, he has the tools to be a very serious footballer indeed.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:09 pm

he has made a very promising start indeed and his 2 goals are class. its they type of finishes we have been missing in a long while now. though i notice he loves to slide alot. i reckon kuyt should pick up a few tips from torres in terms of finishing and positioning. despite his price tag, torres hasnt shown any bit of pressure out of it and that it a very good thing. i guess being the captain and club idol at his previous club at such a young age has made him mature fast. so far im delighted with what we have gotten and hopefully things can get better for him. i am sure at some point in this season he will get a hat trick in a match. he gives me that confidence that we have a higher chance of scoring with him.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby MightyLFC » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:11 pm

Yes I totally agree with you Mick
I think Liverpool have need a good forward for a long time since Fowler and Owen went probably.
The is no more Torres can do so far he has scored and isn't that what you want out of your forwards.

Overall
Torres has started of very well
:bowdown
MightyLFC

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:17 pm

He took his goal very well and overall he has adapted well into the team and to the Premiership, I think he will be more than a handful for defenders this tear and he got Terry really wound up in yesterdays game.

My only problem was that for me every now and again he went to ground a little to easy and was looking for a few free kicks. Maybe that is something that he was doing when he played for Madrid but he needs to stay on his feet and let his skill do the talkin.

So far he seems to be worth the money and hopefully there is plenty more goals to come.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:31 pm

He likes a bit of the rough stuff does Torres. Great to see. Its about time we had a side thats willing to throw its weight around and fight tooth and nail for every ball. Pretty much before you know it, that kind of spirit will forge a championship winning squad. Mark my words.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:42 pm

When I watch any one on one of a team I support I stand up if I'm in the stadium, I stretch the neck if I'm watching it in the tv or computer, and the heart accelerates. This effect was magnified in the Torres finnish. As in this kind of games you don't have 3 or 4 chances but just one.

Torres saw he could make harm in the side of SWP, and knew to spot that the defender's waist was harder than the iron. He usually does this well. And he reached the one on one with Czec and I my heart was in the throat. And he did it. And he did it superbly, with the inner side of the boot I think, in a very difficult gesture. I jumped in joy and I hardly do that when I'm at home. Torres generates many one on ones but he fails many aswell, but this time he did it perfectly and I'm happy for that.

The only "but" to his game was the already mentioned "looking for fouls", and a ball in which Kuyt made the correct run and Torres  didn't spot it. He should have done it as it was a clear pass and would have let Kuyt alone.

So far, so good. Hopefully he scores lots. Come on Torres.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:59 pm

The only "but" to his game was the already mentioned "looking for fouls", and a ball in which Kuyt made the correct run and Torres  didn't spot it. He should have done it as it was a clear pass and would have let Kuyt alone.

Hopefully someone will have a word with him about falling over so easily. If he gets a reputation as a diver Referee's will begin to ignore his claims for genuine and possibly crucial fouls.

As for failing to spot Kuyts run ,  it's early days can't really expect an instant understanding or awareness , I'm sure provided Rafa gives them sufficient opportunity Torres and Kuyt will work well together.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:03 pm

I’m pleased with his performances at this present moment in time, even though I cannot help but feel that this post is far too premature. I’m not sure how anyone can make such an in depth opinion on Torres, so early on into his Liverpool chapter. Unless you have seen him play in la liga down the years, in which case I stand corrected.

What impressed me most about Torres in the match yesterday were his clever runs which stifled the Chelsea backline.

In particular a run he made just before half time where he ran down the left flank, cut into the Chelsea penalty area, completely slipping past the backline and if Pennant hadn’t messed the cross up, it could have been 2-0. He was in the perfect position to hit the ball and beat Petr Cech as the near post.

If Torres is able to do more of this as time progresses and is able to score more goals of this quality than he’ll mould into the player, Mick suggests. At the moment, I refuse to get too carried away, all I want Torres to do this season is settle in and enjoy his football. If he scores the goals required this season, then fantastic, it’s a bonus.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm sure someone will correct me ,but i think i'm right. Torres has played two games for liverpool and not been caught offside once , which suggests he's better than the last two strikers we've had (bellamy and cisse)at timing his runs. Hopefully that will give him more oppotunities to have one on ones with the keeper and the last defender. Just a little observation.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:22 pm

I think Torres has been a great buy, he is quite fast, very strong and his first touch is great, and for a player who was considered a superstar at his last club his effort, work rate and attitude so far have been outstanding.

He will soon realise that winning a few extra freekicks by diving doesnt pay, and once his movement off the ball improves I think he will start to rattle a few in.

I watched the Mancs on MOTD and was again impressed by Tevez's movement and runs off the ball. (P!ssed my sides at his finishing tho'  :D )
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I’m pleased with his performances at this present moment in time, even though I cannot help but feel that this post is far too premature. I’m not sure how anyone can make such an in depth opinion on Torres, so early on into his Liverpool chapter. Unless you have seen him play in la liga down the years, in which case I stand corrected.

:laugh:

The "I know it's early but..." thread is Big Mick's trademark, mate, and has become part of the Newkit furniture.  Indeed, by Mick's standards, this particular thread may have been even a little slow in coming but, as he's relocated to the Antipodes, we'll let it slide. :D

I certainly agree with Mick's take, particularly the notion that Torres will carve out numerous scoring opportunities for himself, while not necessarily putting them all away.  But, as long as he continues to create the openings, he'll ruffle quite a few defenders' feathers and help open the game up.  As Bamaga Man said in the match thread, as soon as he got on the ball in the goal-scoring move, you could tell that we have a special talent on our hands.  No disrespect to our other forwards but can you imagine Kuyt, Crouch or Voronin (sorry Voronator!   :help ) scoring that goal?  I couldn't.

As for the tendency to play for the foul, I think a combination of a word in the ear from someone like Carra and a few more pointed "non-calls" from refs (with more credibility than Styles) and he'll get the message.  We may even see a booking for simulation at some point but he'll learn.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:37 pm

I questioned his price tag and his return of goals in spain a last month....

But after seeing him play... I am glad we have signed him.

He is sort of a player who can score a goal out of nothing...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:42 pm

Sabre wrote:When I watch any one on one of a team I support I stand up if I'm in the stadium, I stretch the neck if I'm watching it in the tv or computer, and the heart accelerates. This effect was magnified in the Torres finnish. As in this kind of games you don't have 3 or 4 chances but just one.

Torres saw he could make harm in the side of SWP, and knew to spot that the defender's waist was harder than the iron. He usually does this well. And he reached the one on one with Czec and I my heart was in the throat. And he did it. And he did it superbly, with the inner side of the boot I think, in a very difficult gesture. I jumped in joy and I hardly do that when I'm at home. Torres generates many one on ones but he fails many aswell, but this time he did it perfectly and I'm happy for that.

So far, so good. Hopefully he scores lots. Come on Torres.

I agree.. this is the kind of move that i like from strikers...

I know not many people would like what i say now...but the move reminded me of Owen... the change of pace to fool the defender and the clinical striker's finish (remember Owen's FA cup final finishes against seaman?)... ... and torres was seemingly in a harmless position with ben haim marking him and 2 other defenders covering as well...absolute class
Now he only needs to do this regularly to become a world class striker...

so i'm still somehwat reserving my judgement on him...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Without a doubt, Fernando Torres is our best striker
Graeme Noble

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:15 pm

The goal he scored against the cheats yesterday very much disproves the notion of most Mancs and other people that he isn't worth the 20 million we spent. Most other strikers in that sittuation would probably have either ran it down the side and turned to hold it up to look for support or to see if anyone was breaking into the box, or they would have shifted it to the side, in which case an experienced defender like Hiem would have blocked. To actually see him just deciding to skin him by knocking it past him and slide it home all in one movement, is something that only the very best have had the abillity to do, and there havn't been that many anywhere recently. Very Henry-like. In fact, he's probably the EPL's new Henry. In two more seasons, this fella's gonna be a serious world beater. But of course, reading a few threads on football forums regarding the speculation as to where Torres was heading a few months back, many were certain he was heading for Old Trafford. They were salivating at the prospect and dreaming of partnerships with Spud Rooney and rent boy Ronaldo. They were so excited. But of course, now that he's with his one and only desired club, they all say he's overrated and not worth the 20 million. Tsk! Typical.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion