Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:16 pm

Scottbot wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Still far too early to compare him with Kenny though.
I like his intelligence... would be nice if he was less profligate in front of goal though. He should have buried 3 past the Sunderland keeper....

Lets be thankful he hasn't been ultra-prolific up to this point. If this kid had Owen/Fowleresque level of finishing we would never have been able to afford him, and no doubt he would have been prized away by the likes of Barca long before now.

I like that scott.....

I take it you're a "glass half-full instead of empty" kinda of a guy?

:D
ConnO'var

Postby Vato1979 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:37 am

Topscorer of 2007/2008 Epl mark my words :p
Vato1979

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:27 am

Three Premiership goals so far.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:45 am

one of the most positive things for me by far is the way nando, has settled to the physical side of the game here, he seems to go looking for a battle as he did with terry against chavski, and the whole derby back line were looking for somewhere to hide by halftime

this attribute will stand him in great stead for a good future at the club because, for one means the fans will take to him quickly(goals help but) dirk kuyt esk, as a set of fans at lfc we love to see someone giving everything,

for two he won't suddenly come out and say that it is the physical side of the game that he is finding hard, and with the fans with him he won't throw in the home sick towel as quick when things aren't going as well as they are now

it is great for us to have one of Europe's leading talents playing to his strengths in a team that can give him the back up required, it is a great shame Owen didn't have a team like this around when he was at his peak as IMO i don't think we would be sat here talking about 18 years of hurt,

One of the biggest thing in nando's favor this year though is that it is not all down to him to bring us success, we look like being able to get goals from all over the team, and if a player has a knock someone of equal ability can fill those boots,   finnan/arbeloa  gerrard/xabi    carra/sami it is great to see

I am not on the league bandwagon just yet as we have still to grind out results when we don't deserve to win games  manure and chavski esk
but it so exciting to be a liverpool fan this season and watch the football we are producing, are we capable of winning the league ? are we capable of beating anyone in front of us F*CKing yes
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby el_stinger » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 am

The Guy is a gun, nuff said!!
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 pm

Yet more and more praises about the club and the city when Torres is asked about his adaptation to the club. He's been asked again in the Spanish camp. Both Torres and Alonso are likely to be in the starting eleven on saturday, or so imply the tests Aragones is making.

Cross fingers we have no injuries.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:23 pm

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Phoaw, that translation is top notch, good site that St Michael.

Loved this bit

It’s mostly the respect they command… not just because the way they go about things or because of all the titles they've won, which are many, but in the way they bring along the new players and the young players that train with us and how they are the first ones in line and ready to do things and the way the gain the respect of their peers because of their hard work. I think it’s a different philosophy to ours in Spain but I was very impressed by it. They are the first ones to take you in when you arrive not just a different club but a different country as well with different customs and any time you need anything, apart from the Spaniards of course, it’s these two players, Carragher and Gerrard, they are the ones that carry the weight of the team and the idols of the supporters and they are the ones that try to make things easier for you.

:buttrock
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lee2k6 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:28 am

i've had a bet with my bluenose mate, after their 2-1 win to bolton last week he was bangin on about Yakubu and bet me £20 that by the end of the season Yakubu would have more goals in the EPL than Torres.. and he sed that includes the three torres has already scored!

safest bet i've ever made  :laugh:
Lee2k6

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:08 am

Just thinking back now, it wasn't that long ago that people on here wanted us to sign Tevez instead of Torres. Wonder what they're thinking now?

Tevez looked exceptional at the end of last season and I would have loved for us to have signed him during the summer. I feel a bit sorry for him as the system United are using at the moment doesn't suit him (it doesn't suit Rooney either). If he was playing up front with another striker then I think he'd have looked a lot better than he has so far.

As for Torres, I knew he was a very good player but he's looked a million times better than I thought he would. He's took to the Premiership instantly and is just an all round class player. His touch, finishing, reading of the game and work ethic have all impressed me no end but the best thing about him is his turn of pace. He's so fast, even from a standing start that it's frightening. I just hope he doesn't get injured now as we'd really miss him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:52 am

I would still love us to have signed Tevez, as I think he would have made a perfect foil for Torres. I have
however changed my mind, as I would no longer swop Torres for Tevez. :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby matrix » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:27 am

torres has suprised everybody, and i do mean everybody...

he is probably the most exciting striker on the planet right now...

his pace and movement are just breath taking...

he is a very clever kind of player...

he seems to score goals out of nothing,  he has far more strenth than we all knew...

EL NINO...   FERNANDO  TORRES    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:06 am

matrix wrote:torres has suprised everybody, and i do mean everybody...

he is probably the most exciting striker on the planet right now...

his pace and movement are just breath taking...

he is a very clever kind of player...

he seems to score goals out of nothing,  he has far more strenth than we all knew...

EL NINO...   FERNANDO  TORRES    :buttrock

he aint suprized me at all

why u speaking on behalf of us all??
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Kukilon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:00 am

stmichael wrote:Just thinking back now, it wasn't that long ago that people on here wanted us to sign Tevez instead of Torres. Wonder what they're thinking now?

Tevez looked exceptional at the end of last season and I would have loved for us to have signed him during the summer. I feel a bit sorry for him as the system United are using at the moment doesn't suit him (it doesn't suit Rooney either). If he was playing up front with another striker then I think he'd have looked a lot better than he has so far.

As for Torres, I knew he was a very good player but he's looked a million times better than I thought he would. He's took to the Premiership instantly and is just an all round class player. His touch, finishing, reading of the game and work ethic have all impressed me no end but the best thing about him is his turn of pace. He's so fast, even from a standing start that it's frightening. I just hope he doesn't get injured now as we'd really miss him.

I'm one of those that rather would have seen us sign Tevez. With hindsight so far I was totally wrong. It looks like he has been playing with us for several years.

THE RAFALUTION HAS NOT ENDED!
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:06 am

I did my sitting on the fence when we signed Torres, as i wasnt sure what to expect i had seen a little bit of him in la liga and in internationals for Spain. I was always impressed with his directness, turn of pace and trickery.
I was worried about his finishing (and it still could be better) and whether he would adapt to the physical side of our game, thats probably just cos of Morientes really.
I have to say though he has been a revelation so far and massivley eclipsed what i expected, to settle so quickly and already have 3 league goals is a great achievement and a real testiment to the lads determination to succeed.
I said previously i knew he had pace but even that has been a major surprise. The way he left Ben Haim for his first goal looked effortless. Then against Sunderland although he should of scored he was brilliant, after missing a few chances you might of thought he would be selfish and snatching at shots but near the end he gets the ball on the edge of the box and plays in Voronin, thinking about the team before himself which pleased me.
Not sure what he cost, everyone seems to quote different figures but i know even if it was 26 million, it was money well  spent by Rafa, this lad has given us an extra dimension.
Teams now cant defend as high up the pitch as they would of liked as we have a genuine pacey threat through the middle. But then if teams defend deep to counter that it allows Gerrard and the wide players to pick the ball up in far more advanced and dangerous areas.
It has given the opposition a major headache.
Lets hope he can steer clear of injuries.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion