Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnnyrocket7 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:46 pm

torres has astounded me so far, i recon he could develop into a real hard graft player.
Last edited by johnnyrocket7 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Johnnyrocket7
johnnyrocket7

Postby heimdall » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Torres is an excellent signing, but then I always thoguh he would be contrary to some peopel who seem to be singing a very different tune now  :;):
I'm not sure about this natural finishing stuff though, I don't think he is to bad, sure he misses the odd chance but he also creates goals and chances out of nothing which I'm not sure we've seen in a very very long time. He is our best striker since Fowlers hey day and in some ways might even be a bit better  :buttrock  :buttrock

I am so damned excited about this season I'm starting to believe really believe that this might be our year, it's not just Torres but all the boys are playing well and we have so much strength in depth, I mean look at Manure who are having to play Chris Eagles, I mean wtf?? Who is that guy???
and Chavski look :censored: boring as ususal but are now loosing to the likes of Aston Villa  :Oo:

The only threat at the moment, although I'm sure Chavski and Manure will improve as well are the gunners but I'm not sure they quite ave the squad for this season.
heimdall

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:03 pm

The guy is the real deal.

:nod

Reminds me more of Owen than Fowler. Maybe not as clinical as Owen, but has strength, height and a more rounded game than Michael had.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Even Reuters have got in on the act !!!!!!! :buttrock

Have Liverpool found their new Dalglish? 

It took just three league appearances and one goal from Fernando Torres before Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez was forced to play down the comparisons with Kenny Dalglish.

Now, after another eye-catching performance and two more goals in the 6-0 win over Derby at the weekend, it’ll be hard for Reds fans to resist the idea that Torres can bring the league title back to Anfield.

It was at the end of the 1989-90 season that Dalglish finally retired as a player, having just overseen Liverpool’s march to an 18th league title. Can it be just coincidence that the club are still waiting for championship number 19?

Until now, perhaps, Liverpool have not had a forward like him. Peter Beardsley was forced out just a year later, John Barnes was soon in decline and Jari Litmanen was sadly underused by Gerard Houllier.

Torres might not have the sheer talent of Dalglish, he might stumble over a pass more often than you’d like from a 36 million euros signing, but he has great vision (see the pass that helped set up the Voronin goal against Derby) and a gift for inspiration (the touch that took him past Ben Haim for the goal against Chelsea).

“Whether of not he was overpriced at £27 million, he’s given Liverpool whatever it was they were lacking up front,” Daryl writes at The Offside.

Liverpool’s 6-0 win over Deby took them top of the Premier League for the first time since November 2002. Will they still be there at the season’s end?

Kevin Fylan

Copyright Reuters. This entry was posted on Monday, September 3rd, 2007 at 8:29 am
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lebowsky » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Okay folks, for what I've seen so far i seem to be the only spaniard around so, if you don't mind, I'll tell you what my impressions on Fernando Torres are. First of all I've seen a lot of his games both in his former club and in Spain squad (sadly often underperforming). I think Liverpool F.C. made a great buy from Atletico de Madrid (one can argue about the price and so, but look at Real Madrid's expenses :D) and I'm convinced he'll succeed in the Premiership. When you got to watch him playing for Atlético de Madrid you couldn't help having a bittersweet taste on your mouth.  On one hand it was quite evident that the guy was dynamite: his speed can tear defences apart, he's technically superb and his skills make the difference when he's feeling confident. On the other hand, his definition is sometimes clumsy. He can do the most difficult high-speed run dodging rivals and then miss the easiest shot when the goal's all clear. I'm sure Rafa will teach him there, the guy has always been willing to learn and eager to improve. Another negative point, which i hope you never get to see is his inconsistency. What I mean is that Torres is the biggest of threats when he's self-confident and he's on a scoring streak, but if he doesn't score in some 3-4 games in a row he tends to go down psychologically and his performances get worse. At least that's how it used to be here, but to be honest i think it had much to do with him being the only forward in most of Atletico de Madrid's games (he's always done better with another forward next to him) and also with the absence of any decent passer in his former squad.  So as a conclussion, I think that if he manages to polish the small flaws in his game he can become a world-class striker and delight you Liverpool fans with some 20 goals per season.  That's all for the moment.
P.S. Now if you like Torres so far, go and buy David Villa from Valencia F.C. That is definitely the guy!
Last edited by Lebowsky on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lebowsky

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Its a bit early to be making such comparasims with Kenny but you cant fault his contribution so far. I like the way he plays right through the middle. He seems to have a good all round game and im sure he hasnt even fully adapted yet.

Everyone always used to say hes not a great goal scorer but a scorer of great goals. Well so far I think most will be happy with what they have seen, im sure under Rafas tutalege he can develop even more.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm

Kenny used to take the direct route to the goal - the shortest - because he was too fat to go round the outside.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:06 am

He is there amongst the top ten strikers in the world....Sheer brillance and class....best player ever to be brought in by Rafa!!!!!!
club_Levis

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:12 am

Hes only scored 3 yet guys I think we need to pace ourselves here. I agree so far he hasnt dissapointed. What remains to be seen is his character when things say dont go his way or he doesnt score for a few games.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:16 am

club_Levis wrote:He is there amongst the top ten strikers in the world....Sheer brillance and class....best striker ever to be brought in by Rafa!!!!!!

With this small change I agree with you. My choice would be Mascherano or Alonso for best player brought in, but I am sure some would say Reina or Agger.
account deleted by request

Postby essexpoolfan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:36 am

Liverpool forward Fernando Torres has set his sights on beating Didier Drogba to the Premier League golden boot.

Chelsea striker Drogba strolled to the award for the Premier League's top scorer last season with 20 goals.

However, Liverpool's £21.7million summer signing Torres insists Drogba will have a rival this year.

Torres has made a positive start to his Anfield career, but he insists the best is yet to come in his battle with Drogba.

"I am happy with my work at Liverpool," Torres told the Daily Star. "But really I warn the fans they have only seen 60 per cent of the real Torres.

Triumph

"To be the top scorer in the Premier League will not be easy, but in the first few weeks I have shown it will not be a parade for Drogba to repeat his success of last season."

Torres netted a brace in Liverpool's crushing 6-0 win over Derby on Saturday, to take his Premier League tally to three, and he has admitted how much he enjoyed the experience.

"On Saturday I realised how to be a hero at Anfield," Torres added. "The people were happy with my goals and it was a sensational experience.

"I am not obsessed with the number of goals I score this season and at the moment I am still a nobody in the Premier League.

"My challenge is to triumph in Liverpool and become the best striker in the club's history.

"I know that this will be difficult, but I am prepared for the adventure."

Best striker in the clubs history: I guess you can't fault the mans ambition!
essexpoolfan

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:05 am

s@int wrote:

Reminds me more of Owen than Fowler. Maybe not as clinical as Owen, but has strength, height and a more rounded game than Michael had.

Agreed.

Still far too early to compare him with Kenny though.
I like his intelligence... would be nice if he was less profligate in front of goal though. He should have buried 3 past the Sunderland keeper....

Not complaining though. The rest of his game MORE than makes up for this imo. Great signing.... but too EARLY to saddle him him with the burden of the tag "the next Dalglish".... He's already under enough pressure to produce... what with the price we paid.
ConnO'var

Postby club_Levis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am

ConnO'var wrote:
s@int wrote:

Agreed.

I like his intelligence... would be nice if he was less profligate in front of goal though. He should have buried 3 past the Sunderland keeper....

Not complaining though. The rest of his game MORE than makes up for this imo. Great signing.... but too EARLY to saddle him him with the burden of the tag "the next Dalglish".... He's already under enough pressure to produce... what with the price we paid.

If he is not restricted a lot by the rotation policy the club has, I bet he would reach + 20 goals!!!!mark my words coz I know a good striker when I see one  :D.I cant wait for the day he takes Rio to the cleaners.
club_Levis

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:51 am

club_Levis wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
s@int wrote:

Agreed.

If he is not restricted a lot by the rotation policy the club has, I bet he would reach + 20 goals!!!!mark my words coz I know a good striker when I see one  :D.I cant wait for the day he takes Rio to the cleaners.

you could be right mate..... 3 in 4 games is REALLY promising... Theres hope for sure.
ConnO'var

Postby Scottbot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:47 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Still far too early to compare him with Kenny though.

Lets be thankful he hasn't been ultra-prolific up to this point. If this kid had Owen/Fowleresque level of finishing we would never have been able to afford him, and no doubt he would have been prized away by the likes of Barca long before now.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion