Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:42 am

FERNANDO HITS THE GROUND RUNNING
Alan Smith, Daily Telegraph 27 August 2007
It is understandable that most foreign signings take time to settle before producing the form described in the brochure.
Alan Smith

Look at Didier Drogba, now one of the most complete centre-forwards around. His first season at Chelsea proved something of a mixed bag, characterised more by bouts of outrageous play-acting and dodgy first touches than any flashes of brilliance. Only after that initial period, once he had got to grips with the task in hand, did Drogba start to look worth his price tag.

Fernando Torres, however, appears to have bucked the trend. Liverpool's record signing has acclimatised to his new surroundings in record time. The demands of a different league, of getting to know new team-mates and of settling down in a strange country have not, it seems, affected his game.

Sharp at Aston Villa on the opening day, last week's beautifully taken goal against Chelsea confirmed his big-match temperament as much as his pace and finishing skills. More encouraging still, on Saturday Torres kept on scrapping throughout against Sunderland's Nyron Nosworthy and Paul McShane (two very forthright defenders) to give further notice that he can help turn Liverpool from title also-rans into genuine contenders.

He does, of course, still have some way to go before truly appreciating this league's requirements for success. Nobody grasps it all after a couple of games. That said, the 23-year-old looks more than capable of learning on his feet judging by events at the Stadium of Light.

In truth, he should have grabbed a couple of goals from the chances that came his way. In particular, a close-range diving header should have been buried, never mind Craig Gordon's agility in the home goal. Later, the Scotsman managed to deny the Spaniard again following a coruscating burst of acceleration from the halfway line that left the trailing Nosworthy and McShane hoping for the best.

That's the thing about Torres - he is frighteningly quick for a 6ft 1in target man who is strong in the air. Jamie Carragher goes as far as to say that Michael Owen would probably lose in a straight race.

And if that's a priceless asset in the modern game, so is the way Torres deploys that speed with clever positioning on the last line of defence. In fact, he rarely, if ever, got caught offside on Wearside. It's one thing having scorching pace, quite another using it well. Think back to last season and Craig Bellamy's time at Anfield: he single-handedly kept linesmen busy with his badly timed runs.

Not Torres. He might be nicknamed El Nino (The Kid) but there is nothing immature in his understanding of the game. Nothing wrong with his fighting qualities either. Liverpool's stubborn No 9 stood up to the scrap, plugging away gamely until some reward eventually turned up.

He had already set up Andriy Voronin, via some nifty footwork, with a great chance before he laid off the simple pass that his strike partner converted for the visitors' second. This partnership, incidentally, looks pretty useful. Dirk Kuyt, and especially Peter Crouch, face strong competition this season for a starting place.

Torres, however, can be confident of his, as long as he carries on in a similar vein. Rafa Benitez must be absolutely delighted, for he has achieved what all managers seek when splashing the cash to this extent. His new signing has lifted up the team to the next level. That's all anyone can ask at this early stage.

Alan Smith's column appeared in Monday's Daily Telegraph.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:28 am

Sabre wrote:I still say his finishing is not great. However, just when people start to get nervous, he makes a 2 goals game to shut up some mouths, so he keeps the concerns at acceptable levels :).

To be perfectly honest Sabes from what I've seen you were spot on in your assessment of Torres. You said he was much better than Bellamy, offered much more threat and he is and does. You said he plays for the foul too much sometimes and he does. You also said he was no natural finisher and he certainly isn't. If he can learn to become even a quite good finisher though, Jesus he will be a footballer and a half if he continues like he is.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:57 pm

I've been really impressed also. He has all the attributes bar clinical finishing.

I think he can work on the finishing, hopefully the more he gets used to the Premiership and gains more experience, he will be the complete article :) maybe :)
Graeme Noble

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:06 pm

From what i have seen of him i am very happy we paid the £20+ million we did to get him. I also think that had it not been for so great goalkeeping he would be well clear in the top scorers table. I'm confident that he will score plenty of goals this season from what i've seen. That break he made through the middle of the two sunderland defenders left me open mouthed. I haven't been this excited about a player since we signed Morientes. :D

No seriously all the other strikers we have signed latley just haven't cut it but i think Torres will.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Graeme Noble » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:12 pm

Agreed.

Also, I think we should bid for Craig Gordon, he's the best goalkeeper in Britain IMO!!! :;):
Graeme Noble

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:32 pm

I have been delighted with Torres up to now. He has come up against some uncompromising defenders and has done very well. For a tall player who is good in the air, he has exceptional control and first touch combined with good speed. If he maintains this level of commitment and aggression I think we have signed a very very good player. Whether he can ever become the clinical finisher as well I am not sure, but I think he will get enough goals to keep most of us happy.
account deleted by request

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:28 pm

its the confidence he gives other players too, gerrard has had a spring in his step since we signed him and i`ve heard players like michael carrick on the telly saying since we signed torres liverpool have become a major player in the title shake up.
some players bring more onto the pitch than just their ability, a big part of footy is psychology.
he makes defenders nervous and nervous players make mistakes.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Torres IMO is the answer to our prayers, not only is he quick he is intelligent on the ball,his movement off the ball is very good too not something our over strikers ie crouch and kuyt seem to posses (although in voronin i think we posses this seasons berbatov),and every pundit ive listened to over the weekend have said what a good player Torres looks and liverpool infact.For roy keane to say this is the strongest he can remember a liverpool team to be in years is a complament,we have had to many false dawns in the past and in torres and in liverpool NOW WE CAN BELIVE!!!!!!!!! :)
roberto green

Postby YAWL » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:44 pm

What a top signing and Rafa has been 100% in this case.  Not sure what the final fee was, but Rafa says it is less than the reported 20 million.  Now considering he's 23, hel'll have his best years at our club.  The women love him and that's great for shirt sales and increase our market off the field.

But on it he really is a different grade.  He really does work hard and with his size and general physique he can hold up the ball and give defenders problems with his holding up of the ball and back to goal.  But the different with Torres is compared to our other strikers in the past who like to play with their back to goal he is just as threatening facing it, running at teams and getting behind them.

He's just a top all round striker and he's added a new dimension to our strike force.  His finishing at times can be better, but he makes chances out of nothing at times and is a match winner.
YAWL

Postby matrix » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 pm

bigmick wrote:
Sabre wrote:I still say his finishing is not great. However, just when people start to get nervous, he makes a 2 goals game to shut up some mouths, so he keeps the concerns at acceptable levels :).

To be perfectly honest Sabes from what I've seen you were spot on in your assessment of Torres. You said he was much better than Bellamy, offered much more threat and he is and does. You said he plays for the foul too much sometimes and he does. You also said he was no natural finisher and he certainly isn't. If he can learn to become even a quite good finisher though, Jesus he will be a footballer and a half if he continues like he is.

agreed...

alan shearer said it last week,  once torres gets the pace of the premiership the goals will come...

jesus guys and gals...

i think torres is a sensation,  his pace is beyond belief, let me repeat that,  his pace is beyond belief...

the goals will come believe me...

he seems to have a mixture of rushie, and dalglish...

what a talent...

EL NINO...    :buttrock    :buttrock    :buttrock

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Awesome display again by Torres. Not just the two goals but his work rate and skill. I think he is well capable of 20 goals this season. He is just the whole package strength, pace, skill and finishing ability. This could be what we have been missing in recent seasons.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:Awesome display again by Torres. Not just the two goals but his work rate and skill. I think he is well capable of 20 goals this season. He is just the whole package strength, pace, skill and finishing ability. This could be what we have been missing in recent seasons.

Not could be. IS what we've been missing. This will be the difference for us, I feel. Upwards and onwards from here.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:19 am

How could is it to finally have a world class striker again!!!!!!!!
roberto green

Postby muzodziwa » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:20 am

Torres is a sensation, more so in a fluid side like ours, he is going to become better. One element that i enjoy above his natural skill ie lightning pace, superb ball control, game intelligence, silky movement with the ball, blistering shot, accurate head...(i may gone on forever, superlatives have just let me down)...is his mind;
                                the boy has the mind of a striker

the boy can work the channels and like today, operate down the middle, and whenever he has the ball or without he is attacking the goal and that is precious; this in my humble opinion is what a natural striker is all about. obviously we desire him to put away every opportunity that comes his way, but missing a chance does not justify our labelling him as not a natural finisher; infact i do not desire to see him becoming a natural finisher because he is much more than that...

one thing i am confident of is that he is a prolific goal scorer and come the end of season we will be having the leading premiership goal scorer as well:D :D
muzodziwa

Postby skatesy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:40 am

I think that his inability to sometimes put away the easy chances, or the "sitters" as some people refer to them is attributed to the fact that he is still, undoubtedly, getting used to the English League. Things are still new and fresh for him and he is still getting comfortable. As his confidence increases and he begins to get more comfortable I think you will see him pouncing on, and finishing those "golden" opportunities more often.
skatesy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion