Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 pm

This is what Torres said

"Everything is different in England and I have to get used to that," said the Spaniard.

"The way the fans live the game and sing throughout to create an atmosphere is different. Before the game, everyone sings as well. It is not the same as it is in Spain.

"The English game is more physical, too, but it's nice. It's end to end, it flows more and it doesn't stop so often. For the fans and for the players, that's great.

"Manchester United and Chelsea are the strongest teams, but every game is intense. You have to adapt your game according to your opponents.

"There is a lot of expectation among the fans because of the fee, but all I can do is work and score goals like I did against Chelsea.

"Scoring helps with your adaptation, but I don't feel any pressure, so the goal did not come as a relief."
MightyLFC

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:45 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:his goal against Chelsea was the best i've seen from a liverpool striker for many a year. .

???
I wouldn't go that far but it certainly had class stamped all over it.

think about it woof, when did you last see a liverpool striker take the ball well from gerrard, run at a defender (yes run!) and then, from nothing, put the ball into the far corner against arguably the worlds best goal keeper?

That was an Henry goal...and ok, its just 1 goal and 1 match doesn't make a player, but it was class.  As someone said, it was like Owen before his injuries.
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pineapple Nutty » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:12 pm

torres really showed us what hes made of at the last game. !! woppedidoo! :O
Pineapple Nutty

Postby tel » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:57 am

He pushed the ball past the defender at the exact moment of transition he'd sprinted hard to close him, then needed to move again almost from a standing start to catch him again.

Thats 100% instinct.

Watch it 100 times on youtube and never get sick of it.

Absolute beautiful movement and balance.
tel

Postby mattylfc » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 am

Spot on that Scottbot. I think we have allready seen more confidence from Kuyt since Torres arrival. Kuyt can now get recognition for his hard work knowing that Torres will be on the last man. Kuyt has really impressed me so far. You can just see that everyone has stepped it up a level.

Torres will definitely take time to settle properly, you can see that he looks a little lost at times and is maybe trying a bit too hard which is only natural. One thing we do know is that he has blistering pace and someone that is young enough and hungry enough to turn average balls into excellent balls. 

He will find it hard in certain games when teams get lots of men behind the ball but he has shown enough allready to suggest that he isnt one dimensional.

Playing with Kuyt and having the likes of Gerrard and Alonso behind you can only be a good thing for any player. I think we could have a real gem on our hands.
mattylfc

Postby Alonso14 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:44 pm

I don't think Torres will score tons, but he seems to be a big game player. Shines with the spotlights on. He always seemed to score against Barca in La Liga, was top in the world cup. I imagine he will play in all the big games. He thrives on the pressure.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Alonso14 wrote:I don't think Torres will score tons, but he seems to be a big game player. Shines with the spotlights on. He always seemed to score against Barca in La Liga, was top in the world cup. I imagine he will play in all the big games. He thrives on the pressure.

good, because for 27 million he'll have to!  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:18 pm

Graeme Noble wrote:Without a doubt, Fernando Torres is our best striker

Never we payed 22 million for him !
MightyLFC

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:22 pm

MightyLFC wrote:
Graeme Noble wrote:Without a doubt, Fernando Torres is our best striker

Never we payed 22 million for him !

It wasn't even that much, either. I think it was close to 21.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

to be honest, no one really knows how much the deal is, including any bonuses etc.  The Garcia transfer was also probably linked heavily with the deal.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DazH- » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:19 pm

However much we spent on him, I think he will pay it back in spades in fact he's already paid some of it back with his excellent goal on sunday:D
DazH-

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 am

Well Torres continues to demonstrate that he is indeed a footballer blessed with an enormous amount of talent. Similarly, those on the forum, (particularly our Spanish contingent) who alluded to his lack of natural finishing ability are proving to be absolutely on the money. My thoughts are though that despite the fact that he will almost certainly drive the fans to distraction with his frequent failures to convert golden opportunities, the fact that he brings to ur attack a potency, a threat and incisive movement the like of which we haven't seen for many a year will mean that he will be considered a huge success.

I like him a lot, the more I see him the more convinced I am that we have got him cheap by todays standards.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 am

bigmick wrote:Well Torres continues to demonstrate that he is indeed a footballer blessed with an enormous amount of talent. Similarly, those on the forum, (particularly our Spanish contingent) who alluded to his lack of natural finishing ability are proving to be absolutely on the money. My thoughts are though that despite the fact that he will almost certainly drive the fans to distraction with his frequent failures to convert golden opportunities, the fact that he brings to ur attack a potency, a threat and incisive movement the like of which we haven't seen for many a year will mean that he will be considered a huge success.

I like him a lot, the more I see him the more convinced I am that we have got him cheap by todays standards.

I still say his finishing is not great. However, just when people start to get nervous, he makes a 2 goals game to shut up some mouths, so he keeps the concerns at acceptable levels :). Every round of the league (19 games) he used to have 1 game in which he was the total hero of the week (with a hat trick, big photo in Marca and all that).

I was wrong though in his attitude. I haven't seen him moaning often, he's been tracking back more than he used to ( I didn't like his attitude when his team was winning ) and he's proven to be tougher than I thought when clashing with opposition men. Maybe he just did back in Atletico what he thought it would benefit his team given the poor refs we have, or maybe it's just that Rafa is a better motivator than the other coachs he's been under.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Sabre wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well Torres continues to demonstrate that he is indeed a footballer blessed with an enormous amount of talent. Similarly, those on the forum, (particularly our Spanish contingent) who alluded to his lack of natural finishing ability are proving to be absolutely on the money. My thoughts are though that despite the fact that he will almost certainly drive the fans to distraction with his frequent failures to convert golden opportunities, the fact that he brings to ur attack a potency, a threat and incisive movement the like of which we haven't seen for many a year will mean that he will be considered a huge success.

I still say his finishing is not great. However, just when people start to get nervous, he makes a 2 goals game to shut up some mouths, so he keeps the concerns at acceptable levels :). Every round of the league (19 games) he used to have 1 game in which he was the total hero of the week (with a hat trick, big photo in Marca and all that).

I was wrong though in his attitude. I haven't seen him moaning often, he's been tracking back more than he used to ( I didn't like his attitude when his team was winning ) and he's proven to be tougher than I thought when clashing with opposition men. Maybe he just did back in Atletico what he thought it would benefit his team given the poor refs we have, or maybe it's just that Rafa is a better motivator than the other coachs he's been under.

Amen to that. I hade my worries but so far he has thrown them out the windows.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:06 am

Another excellent performance from the kid at the weekend. I'm trying to keep it in check but i'm so excited about what Torres can bring to this team. As i said in the match thread, he has COMPLETELY changed the dynamic of this Liverpool side. I don't even think it will matter if he misses his share of sitters because his pace, strength and precence in the team opens up so many options  for the rest of our attack. Each game so far he has shown something different. This week it was 90 minutes of selfless (and more importantly intelligent) running off the ball and a tremendous workrate closing down their defenders when they had the ball.

It's just as well this kid can't finish like a Fowler or an Owen because we NEVER could have afforded him. He would be the most expensive player in the world IMHO. I really wasn't sure at first but i'm chuffed to bits we got him now. If he stays healthy he will prove to be Rafa's most important signing i'm sure.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion