Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Some very good observations about 'El Nino' ??? and after yesterdays performance it's easy to get carried away at what we may have on our hands.

I was very impressed with his work rate and the fact that he does have that ability to skin defenders given the opportunity is something we've missed in recent years. His finish was sublime and showed he does have a natural finishers ability in his locker hopefully he'll make full use of it.

I'm not gonna get too carried away though after just 2 league games having watched him on $ky for many years and seeing the flaws in his game i.e. wasteful finishing eventhough he does have  good finishing ability, the regular going to ground when he doesn't need to.

We do have an exciting talent on our hands and hopefully he'll mature over the the coming seasons into the top quality striker he looks to be.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm

his goal against Chelsea was the best i've seen from a liverpool striker for many a year. He looks the business and its the first time i've got excited about a new player for a long long time.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:20 pm

7_Kewell wrote:his goal against Chelsea was the best i've seen from a liverpool striker for many a year. .

???
I wouldn't go that far but it certainly had class stamped all over it.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:01 pm

From the Echo
A new star is born as golden boy Fernando Torres turns back clock

by Nick Peet, Liverpool Echo
IT’S the second week of August and after kicking off the season with an away win, an expectant Kop waits with bated breath for the home debut of Liverpool’s big summer signing.

And they don’t have to wait long before falling in love with their newest hero.

After breaking the club’s transfer record to sign the striker, he repays the club in kind, by turning in an effort at the Anfield Road end – and a new star is born.

The year was 1977 and the player was Kenny Dalglish.

Now, fast forward 30 years and Fernando Torres will be hoping that his maiden strike will set him on the road to a similar career path as that of the club’s brightest star.

Fortunately for Dalglish his big day – when the Reds cruised past Newcastle United 2-0 – was not ruined by an inept match official.

But after the hangover’s clear across the city this morning and Liverpool fans start to think about the positives of yesterday’s Chelsea stalemate, one thing will override everything else.

The Reds have got themselves a goal poacher again.

The club’s long, proud history of world class marksmen has hit something of a dry patch in this decade, ever since Michael Owen left for Madrid.

But in Torres, Liverpool have definitely signed the kind of striker who knows where the back of the net is.

Hard working, full of energy and prepared to defend from the front as willingly as he is to run in behind defenders, it’s already clear to see exactly why Torres was awarded the captain’s armband when still only a teenager at former club Atletico Madrid.

The 23-year-old striker is quite obviously a leader and his performance against Chelsea – and at Villa Park last week – already suggest enough to argue that he is going to be a huge success at Anfield.

His first touch is excellent , turn of pace sublime and finishing clearly top draw.

How many players can you remember that have been rewarded with their own Kop song inside 45 minutes?

And being lauded with a variation of Robbie Fowler’s old clap-chant too. High praise indeed.

Naturally his boss was slightly more cautious in his praise.

After seething over the performance of referee Rob Styles, Rafa Benitez cleared his head enough to say: “It was a good strike from Torres and a very positive start for him.

“He has good pace and showed real quality but it is also good for the supporters.

“It’s too early to judge Fernando just yet, but today he played against one of the best defenders in England and you can see he had no problems adjusting to the style of football.

“There is much more to come from him.”

Of course, he has got a million miles to go before he should even be listed alongside Kop idols Dalglish and Fowler, but Torres has definitely got the tools to become the latest Red Baron.

His goal yesterday, slid perfectly around Petr Cech and inside the far post after he ghosted past Tal Ben Haim, was actually more like Own in his youthful pomp than either of the previous two Reds legends.

Torres’ pace allowed him the opportunity while his finishing
skills gave him the time to shift his body over the ball, open up his frame and tempt Cech to go to ground before finally side-footing it across goal.

It was a natural goalscorer at his productive best – and the Anfield crowd lapped it up.

At Atletico his goalscoring record was hardly the stuff of legend.

His 82 strikes in 214 appearances may only have been topped by Samuel Eto’o at Barcelona over the last five seasons, but it hardly compares with pre-Anfield Dalglish’s 167 in 204 starts at Glasgow Celtic.

But in his home city Torres was landed with a much greater role than simply putting the ball in the back of the net.

He was more of a creative support striker than a goal-poacher.

But it is quite clear that Benitez has a much more productive role for his latest Spanish protege, and he’ll be hoping that yesterday’s virgin strike will be the first of many this season and beyond.

The King may be long gone, but has the Spanish Prince just arrived?

El Principe Espanol ?  You think he wouldn't like the Prince connection due to Atletico's main rival being ROYAL Madrid?
JoeTerp

Postby Sabre » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:11 pm

El Principe Espanol ?  You think he wouldn't like the Prince connection due to Atletico's main rival being ROYAL Madrid?

The prince of Spain is an Atletico fan.

I'm sure someone will correct me ,but i think i'm right. Torres has played two games for liverpool and not been caught offside once , which suggests he's better than the last two strikers we've had (bellamy and cisse)at timing his runs. Hopefully that will give him more oppotunities to have one on ones with the keeper and the last defender. Just a little observation.

And a nice one. He's quite aware in that sense and relies on his pace (which achieves it quick, good acceleration) to start from behind and avoid off sides.

Personally, I feel relief after this goal, because the same press and the same commentator that said in the match "and that's why they've splashed out that money" would be saying other things if he didn't score against Chelsea and the next game. The first goal is important because it removes a lot of pressure.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:12 pm

good article joe, however It would be too early to judge him as a goal poacher. Yes he looks quality, but we need to see more of him, to see if he can be consistant and hopefully Rafa will stop rotating in-form strikers.

Torres' main strengths:

1) First Touch
2) Speed, Pace, Stamina
3) His timings of his runs.
4) bravery, he wasn't intimidated by Terry at all which is a very good sign.
5) un-selfishness

Things he needs to improve on.. or his weaknesses:

1) too soft, falls on the ground easily
2) sometimes he gets stuck and gets disposesed (maybe because the lack of support).
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:I’m pleased with his performances at this present moment in time, even though I cannot help but feel that this post is far too premature. I’m not sure how anyone can make such an in depth opinion on Torres, so early on into his Liverpool chapter. Unless you have seen him play in la liga down the years, in which case I stand corrected.

I certainly never saw him play in La Liga mate as I rarely watched it (save for the odd Barcelona game and the odd match if Aimar was playing for Valencia). As for in depth analysis, it's probably not that in depth and if you'd had the misfortune to trawl through some of my other posts and remain awake, you'd see what I mean  :D

We do often get this "it's far too early" though, or "give him a season and then I'll make my call" which is all very well of course. My thing though has been to make a call on a player much quicker than that. If you could be bothered (and frankly I couldn't if I were you) and you dragged up similar threads on Cisse, Morientes etc etc you would notice that many of us had serious misgivings after a couple of games. People then were giving it the "give him time, remember Pires took time to settle, remember Henri didn't score for his first eleven games" etc etc, and what they really meant was, give ME time. give me time so I can make on a judgement on a player which is accepted by everyone and that way I'll never be wrong.

Now you are an extremely knowledgeable poster on the forum Wills' (out of the new blokes one of the best on here TBH) so I'm not suggesting that's your point here, but as it's just a forum sometimes it's OK to stick your neck out and risk getting it wrong. Hence the "I know it's early" in the title. Somebody has quoted Rafa as saying "it's too early to judge him yet" but feck it, the gaffer is wrong, it isn't too early, the kid is quality and if he irons out a couple of continental edges then he can be a fantastic player for Liverpool.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm

I think Torres is quality and I was saying that even before he signed, On the youtuve vids he looked strong and quick and with those two attributes you will generally succeed in the Prem as he is doing. Finally we have a classy striker again. now if only Kuyt could start banging them in I'd be over the moon.
heimdall

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:02 pm

early signs are very positive, he glides across the turf like a thoroughbred racehorse and he has excellent touch for a surprisingly tall lad (when he was rubbing heads with terry they were the same size!)
i always felt morientes didnt like the rough stuff but to be fair to torres he seemed to enjoy the tussle and indeed ruffled the feathers of one of the toughest centre halves in the country so he looks alright on that score.
he`s not scared to pick the ball up deep and run at multiple defenders either, always a sign that a player has ability because players who cant dribble never do that.
it`ll take him a few months to learn the language and feel confident enough around his team mates to know their games / argue with them etc without falling out and then we`ll see the best of him.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 pm

I tell you, watching Torres playing for fouls was a little cringe-worthy yesterday but the way he squared up to Terry and continued to take the p!ss was fun to watch.  The kid's got gumption and I think that will go a long way to helping him settle in England.  As for the rest of the lads, there is a strong spirit of togetherness this campaign that is evident on the pitch.  I thought Pennant pushed his dissent too far and was correctly booked but I applaud the spirit of it.  Long may this continue!

BTW, anyone else think this togetherness has something to do with Bellamy's departure? :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 am

bigmick wrote:I certainly never saw him play in La Liga mate as I rarely watched it (save for the odd Barcelona game and the odd match if Aimar was playing for Valencia). As for in depth analysis, it's probably not that in depth and if you'd had the misfortune to trawl through some of my other posts and remain awake, you'd see what I mean  :D

We do often get this "it's far too early" though, or "give him a season and then I'll make my call" which is all very well of course. My thing though has been to make a call on a player much quicker than that. If you could be bothered (and frankly I couldn't if I were you) and you dragged up similar threads on Cisse, Morientes etc etc you would notice that many of us had serious misgivings after a couple of games. People then were giving it the "give him time, remember Pires took time to settle, remember Henri didn't score for his first eleven games" etc etc, and what they really meant was, give ME time. give me time so I can make on a judgement on a player which is accepted by everyone and that way I'll never be wrong.

Now you are an extremely knowledgeable poster on the forum Wills' (out of the new blokes one of the best on here TBH) so I'm not suggesting that's your point here, but as it's just a forum sometimes it's OK to stick your neck out and risk getting it wrong. Hence the "I know it's early" in the title. Somebody has quoted Rafa as saying "it's too early to judge him yet" but feck it, the gaffer is wrong, it isn't too early, the kid is quality and if he irons out a couple of continental edges then he can be a fantastic player for Liverpool.

All credit it you, Mick, it was an inspired piece and it was brave to come out of the blocks early on Torres. As I said in my previous post, I saw Torres’ run just before half time and that impressed me more than his goal impressed me. The way he worked the line(s) is a sign of a gifted young lad with huge potential. As someone else has already stated, Torres’ role in the team is similar to that of Cisse’s and Bellamy’s and Torres is clearly superior in the role than his predecessors.

I tend to use the clichéd comment (is it clichéd right?) of “I shall reserve my judgement or I shall let the player settle in and find his feet”. I suppose and I’d hate to admit this that it’s to do with a) covering my own backside. I have in the past made rather outrageous claims, such as Cisse will be the next Henry (after his debut goal against Spurs) and Baros will score as many goals as Henry and Nistelrooy (after Euro 2004). And B) my knowledge of a lot of players when they first arrive at the club is very minimal, in fact I have seen Torres play for Spain more often than for his club, most of which were highlights on Eurosport.

Thanks for the compliments, I presumed, my posts were largely ignored as I do not get many responses. I understand the point about ‘sticking your neck on the line’, but I’d imagine if one was to make shall we say, a rather ‘brazen’ comment such as ‘Torres will score twenty five goals’ and he doesn’t achieve this, one will come into some flack from fellow members?
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Scottbot » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:06 am

Am also very impressed with Torres, most of all his first touch and technical ability. It's absolutely faultless, watch the way he addresses the ball, you don't need to see 10-15 games to form an opinion on this, It's top class. I think we have seen from pre-season and the Villa game that he will miss chances but if he can get us 15+ i'm sure most of us will be delighted. He has led the line well the past two games, he has played high up the pitch (which is important because none of our other strikers really stay up there), he offers the threat in behind (his movement looks good)  and plays it quickly and simply if the ball comes into his feet. If you watch a lot of his goals in La Liga a lot of them came when the ball  was laid into his feet, he played a first time pass, spins-off, collects the return ball and is through on goal. Expect to see a few of these this season please Fernando.

Very important goal for the lad on Sunday. He scored a great goal against the best defence in the league (along with our own) and has really laid down a marker. You can bet Roy Keane and his backroom staff are currently trying to figure out how to deal with Torres this weekend. Do they have the back four drop off and give hime space or get tight (like Ben Haim) and bully him? It's great news for the rest of the side and it wouldn't surprise me if Kuyt profited from all the attention and grabbed himself a goal this Saturday.
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:16 pm

The goal he scored on sunday reminded me of michael owen so much.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC1982 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:31 pm

This kids got so much to his game I really believe he's going to be one of the best buys ever, when the summer came there was only 3 strikers across europe I desperately wanted to come and play at Anfield, Torres, Et'o and Villa.  Torres was cheaper and younger than the other two and to be honest I don't think I'd rather see the other two here instead now.

After 2 impressive games and what a shame it was that his wonder goal against Chelsea wasn't the winner ( styles you coont), I'm full of optimism about the campaign and believe Torres will fire in 20+ Prem goals that will lead us to silverware this season.

We've now got one great striker who can get on to the ball with blistering pace from a Stevie G wonderpass, I was so :censored: off on Sunday when Fat Frank put that pen away but we totally dominated, as we did last season in both fixturse with them and predict Gerrard, Torres and co to get sweet revenge in their backyard.

This will be our year!!! :)
LFC1982

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 pm

It's not too early at all Mick, its clear that Torres has class, and his movement and running with the ball is very reassuring, but more than anything the guy has balls. He didn't couldn't have cared less that he was playing against a clogger like Terry, knowing full well his ankles and calves were in for pounding, he just kept going, winding Terry up on the way.

IMHO i think the criticism on here against Torres falling over easily has rather snowballed, personally i don't think it was all that bad, he never dived, he only went down after contact, of which there was plenty against the expensively assembled incarnation of Wimbledon FC (Circa 1988). I know we prefer our players to stay on their feet, but if there is contact, then hit the deck i say, and win the free kick, all our main rivals Mancs, Arsenal and obviously Chelsea have profited from that kind of play, infact they have profited from non-contact, and (cliche time) at the end of the day, its all about winning.

I'm not sure that Torres will score a huge amount of goals, 15 in the league would be excellent, but his overall play will IMO open up play, put defences on the backfoot and create chances for the other forwards. It has been this sprinkle of magic dust that has been missing from our forward play, and could be the factor that allows to lift number 19.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion