Fernando torres. - I know it's early but.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:31 am

Ace Ventura wrote:I did my sitting on the fence when we signed Torres, as i wasnt sure what to expect i had seen a little bit of him in la liga and in internationals for Spain. I was always impressed with his directness, turn of pace and trickery.
I was worried about his finishing (and it still could be better) and whether he would adapt to the physical side of our game, thats probably just cos of Morientes really.
I have to say though he has been a revelation so far and massivley eclipsed what i expected, to settle so quickly and already have 3 league goals is a great achievement and a real testiment to the lads determination to succeed.
I said previously i knew he had pace but even that has been a major surprise. The way he left Ben Haim for his first goal looked effortless. Then against Sunderland although he should of scored he was brilliant, after missing a few chances you might of thought he would be selfish and snatching at shots but near the end he gets the ball on the edge of the box and plays in Voronin, thinking about the team before himself which pleased me.
Not sure what he cost, everyone seems to quote different figures but i know even if it was 26 million, it was money well  spent by Rafa, this lad has given us an extra dimension.
Teams now cant defend as high up the pitch as they would of liked as we have a genuine pacey threat through the middle. But then if teams defend deep to counter that it allows Gerrard and the wide players to pick the ball up in far more advanced and dangerous areas.
It has given the opposition a major headache.
Lets hope he can steer clear of injuries.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

I have to put my hands up aswell and say he's been a million times more impressive than I ever expected. For me, Tevez is the complete player - I thought at the start of the summer that he'd be the perfect signing, a Rafa-style player, geting stuck in at every chance, right foot, left foot, head, pace, poaching. Torres, meanwhile, I knew to be a great player as well but his goalscoring record stood against him, as well as the fact that Tevez was proven in the PREMIERSHIP (ok he had about eight good games but in those games he kept West Ham up all by himself almost). I was excited, of course - we've not been signing players of this calibre for years - but it wasn't the signing that made me shiver with anticipation every time I thought about him, basically because I was expecting it to take him most of the season to adapt and find his best form.

How wrong I was. He's settled FAR quicker than I ever could have imagined; he's got pace, skill and power in abundance. Alan Hansen's analysis the other day was spot on- he also stays int he middle, no mucking about near the corner flag, he's a TARGET man, a true centre forward. For various reasons I had thought that Kuyt would be our top scorer again this year, but I can see Torres being our man for 20ish goals in all competitions.

It's a fair point about what happens if he gets an injury though. I've saaid it before but long term I'd like to see Babel upfront for us as he's a striker really, not a winger. I knew there was a lot of dissent on here, mainly because 'he wasn't Queresma or that Brazilian bloke' but I'd seen a fair bit of him and SHEET! is he good. He's gonna do great things for us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Torres is a good 'un, alright.

The first time I saw Torres play a full 90 minutes was back in 2004 at the European Championships when he played up front on his own for Spain (against whom I cannot remember). He didn't score that night nor had many chances but his movement was absolutely superb and he reminded me of a young Shevchenko.

If he keeps injury free he can be as good as Shevchenko (the Dinamo Kiev/early Milan version, not the 30million waster at Chelsea).
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:I did my sitting on the fence when we signed Torres, as i wasnt sure what to expect i had seen a little bit of him in la liga and in internationals for Spain. I was always impressed with his directness, turn of pace and trickery.
I was worried about his finishing (and it still could be better) and whether he would adapt to the physical side of our game, thats probably just cos of Morientes really.
I have to say though he has been a revelation so far and massivley eclipsed what i expected, to settle so quickly and already have 3 league goals is a great achievement and a real testiment to the lads determination to succeed.
I said previously i knew he had pace but even that has been a major surprise. The way he left Ben Haim for his first goal looked effortless. Then against Sunderland although he should of scored he was brilliant, after missing a few chances you might of thought he would be selfish and snatching at shots but near the end he gets the ball on the edge of the box and plays in Voronin, thinking about the team before himself which pleased me.
Not sure what he cost, everyone seems to quote different figures but i know even if it was 26 million, it was money well  spent by Rafa, this lad has given us an extra dimension.
Teams now cant defend as high up the pitch as they would of liked as we have a genuine pacey threat through the middle. But then if teams defend deep to counter that it allows Gerrard and the wide players to pick the ball up in far more advanced and dangerous areas.

I have to put my hands up aswell and say he's been a million times more impressive than I ever expected. For me, Tevez is the complete player - I thought at the start of the summer that he'd be the perfect signing, a Rafa-style player, geting stuck in at every chance, right foot, left foot, head, pace, poaching. Torres, meanwhile, I knew to be a great player as well but his goalscoring record stood against him, as well as the fact that Tevez was proven in the PREMIERSHIP (ok he had about eight good games but in those games he kept West Ham up all by himself almost). I was excited, of course - we've not been signing players of this calibre for years - but it wasn't the signing that made me shiver with anticipation every time I thought about him, basically because I was expecting it to take him most of the season to adapt and find his best form.

How wrong I was. He's settled FAR quicker than I ever could have imagined; he's got pace, skill and power in abundance. Alan Hansen's analysis the other day was spot on- he also stays int he middle, no mucking about near the corner flag, he's a TARGET man, a true centre forward. For various reasons I had thought that Kuyt would be our top scorer again this year, but I can see Torres being our man for 20ish goals in all competitions.

It's a fair point about what happens if he gets an injury though. I've saaid it before but long term I'd like to see Babel upfront for us as he's a striker really, not a winger. I knew there was a lot of dissent on here, mainly because 'he wasn't Queresma or that Brazilian bloke' but I'd seen a fair bit of him and SHEET! is he good. He's gonna do great things for us.

Yesterday, 09:17 AM 
moxter 
Forumite   Join Date: Jun 2007

Re: Torres & Tevez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to put my hands up and say he's been a million times more impressive than I ever expected. For me, Tevez is the complete player - I thought at the start of the summer that he'd be the perfect signing, a Rafa-style player, geting stuck in at every chance, right foot, left foot, head, pace, poaching. Torres, meanwhile, I knew to be a great player as well but his goalscoring record stood against him, as well as the fact that Tevez was proven in the PREMIERSHIP. I was excited, of course - we've not been signing players of this calibre for years - but it wasn't the signing that made me shiver with anticipation every time I thought about him.

Babel meanwhile I was VERY excited about from the start, I knew there was a lot of dissent on here, mainly because 'he wasn't Queresma or that Brazilian bloke' but I'd seen a fair bit of him and SHEET! is he good. He's gonna do great things for us. 
              -------------------------------
Someone on TLW seems to be copying your post StMick
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:18 pm

I have to put my hands up and say he's been a million times more impressive than I ever expected. For me, Tevez is the complete player - I thought at the start of the summer that he'd be the perfect signing, a Rafa-style player, geting stuck in at every chance, right foot, left foot, head, pace, poaching. Torres, meanwhile, I knew to be a great player as well but his goalscoring record stood against him, as well as the fact that Tevez was proven in the PREMIERSHIP. I was excited, of course - we've not been signing players of this calibre for years - but it wasn't the signing that made me shiver with anticipation every time I thought about him.

Babel meanwhile I was VERY excited about from the start, I knew there was a lot of dissent on here, mainly because 'he wasn't Queresma or that Brazilian bloke' but I'd seen a fair bit of him and SHEET! is he good. He's gonna do great things for us. 

Thats pretty much summed up my opinions on Torres and Tevez. On Torres though I think that first early goal for us in his Liverpool career against Chelsea, was the perfect springboard for him. It would of given him the confidence and belief to kick on from there.

What a great start the Spaniard has had at Liverpool.
66-1112520797

Postby AB's Red Army » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:46 pm

s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Yesterday, 09:17 AM 
moxter 
Forumite   Join Date: Jun 2007

Re: Torres & Tevez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone on TLW seems to be copying your post StMick

:laugh:  :D

Stmich is at it again. It's amazing how many posts he's copied from forums over the years.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby matrix » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:54 am

RedBlood wrote:
matrix wrote:torres has suprised everybody, and i do mean everybody...

he is probably the most exciting striker on the planet right now...

his pace and movement are just breath taking...

he is a very clever kind of player...

he seems to score goals out of nothing,  he has far more strenth than we all knew...

EL NINO...   FERNANDO  TORRES    :buttrock

he aint suprized me at all

why u speaking on behalf of us all??

:D      :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kukilon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm

He just scored against Latvia.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:57 pm

No injuries in Torres' case fortunately. The goal came from a shot from the border of the box that the goalie deflected. The CB was stuck to Torres, but Torres did well to turn quicker than his marker and managed to do a tap in of the deflected ball. Decent goal. It's an important goal for him because he didn't score in the national squad since Sept 2006, and it's always a plus of pressure if you don't score, especially when the "Bring back RauL" brigade are pressing hard in the media.

He failed a glorious one on one and another chance, made some decent runs, received his share of kicks (he receives quite many due to his gamestyle). Decent-good match, 90 mins, no injuries.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Some Torres comments in Marca you might want to read

About his adaptation

"I'm grateful for the treatment I've received since moment one, because a lot of this things make you realise you're in a big club. There's lots of people working in the club so that you only have to focus on football".

One of the details that surprised most Torres when he arrived Liverpool were a couple of SMS that received from Gerrard and Carraguer. "It's details like this, one of many details (that makes it Liverpool a big club." "The fact that the captains and most emblematic players of the club are so interested on you, speaks a lot about the team. They lead by example and they transmit you that feeling, and that they earn your respect from moment one"

Because of this things, Torres didn't hesitate to say a "mea culpa". "Details like these, makes you realise that you haven't done that things as a captain in the past, and that you've missed a lot of steps all of a sudden" he admitted.

About his former club he says he's proud to be an Atletico, but he says that now he's in a better club he realises that "things do not happen by chance, there is a lot of work to do in atletico". As in, Liverpool is a bigger club and succesful because they do they right things.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:50 am

He seems like a very humble player with a decent attitude. Then again so was Crouch when he first started and now look at him. I sincerley hope he does well for us over the years.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:16 pm

Sabre wrote:
bigmick wrote:Well Torres continues to demonstrate that he is indeed a footballer blessed with an enormous amount of talent. Similarly, those on the forum, (particularly our Spanish contingent) who alluded to his lack of natural finishing ability are proving to be absolutely on the money. My thoughts are though that despite the fact that he will almost certainly drive the fans to distraction with his frequent failures to convert golden opportunities, the fact that he brings to ur attack a potency, a threat and incisive movement the like of which we haven't seen for many a year will mean that he will be considered a huge success.

I like him a lot, the more I see him the more convinced I am that we have got him cheap by todays standards.

I still say his finishing is not great. However, just when people start to get nervous, he makes a 2 goals game to shut up some mouths, so he keeps the concerns at acceptable levels :). Every round of the league (19 games) he used to have 1 game in which he was the total hero of the week (with a hat trick, big photo in Marca and all that).

I was wrong though in his attitude. I haven't seen him moaning often, he's been tracking back more than he used to ( I didn't like his attitude when his team was winning ) and he's proven to be tougher than I thought when clashing with opposition men. Maybe he just did back in Atletico what he thought it would benefit his team given the poor refs we have, or maybe it's just that Rafa is a better motivator than the other coachs he's been under.

One month on and any doubts about his ability to score and attitude must now surely be banished .

A great display last night in all aspects of his game . One of the best performances from a Liverpool striker I have seen in a long long time. given the reservations some of us may have had, I find his adaptation to football in England astonishing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

I would disagree on one point woof woof, you're suggesting we should banish any doubts about his goalscoring based on goals against Derby and Reading reserves. That may be premature.

I see Rafa has made no promises he will start on Saturday, I really will be p1ssed off if he is on the bench and we don't win. The more Rafa leaves Torres on the bench, the more he will be criticised if we don't win. We can ill afford to lose more ground, the mancs may have played a game more but they had a very poor start to the season and are above us
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Owzat wrote:I would disagree on one point woof woof, you're suggesting we should banish any doubts about his goalscoring based on goals against Derby and Reading reserves. That may be premature.

It may be prematue Owzat , but all three finishes last night oozed class. Perhaps against sterner opposition he won't get those opportunities but if he does I'm confident the class is there to make the most of them.

btw, You don't have to banish your doubts if you don't want too

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Owzat wrote:I would disagree on one point woof woof, you're suggesting we should banish any doubts about his goalscoring based on goals against Derby and Reading reserves. That may be premature.

It may be prematue Owzat , but all three finishes last night oozed class. Perhaps against sterner opposition he won't get those opportunities but if he does I'm confident the class is there to make the most of them.

btw, You don't have to banish your doubts if you don't want too

:D

My doubts are surrounding why Rafa doesn't want to play Torres. He's played the two games I couldn't give a damn about winning and sat on the bench while we headed towards goalless farces he couldn't retrieve. Why spend £20m+ on a striker and then start with the dobbins who couldn't cut it last season?!?!?!? (plus Voronin) At this rate of knots Torres could hit a fifteen goals by November, be injured the rest of the season and STILL be top scorer come May!

Actually I reckon Gerrard will get fifteen but only if he plays 50-60 games
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:26 pm

to think that darren bent was "plan b" aswell.  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion