Fernando Morientes - Leaves Liverpool FC for Valencia

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu May 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Good Luck Nando!
I was over the moon when we signed him but in the 18 months he was at the club you could tell from the look on his face at times he just wasn't getting a grip on the english game. It's a shame that some people on here have chosen to give him a negative send off. I believe that we should wish players the best of luck when they leave the club (unless they are signing for a major rival or their names is El-Hadji Diouf  :D  ).
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu May 25, 2006 9:12 pm

I feel really dissapointed that he is leaving us, a quality player, shame he didn't show that in Liverpool. He is one of my fav players and will still be one of my favorite players, I hope he does amazing in Valencia and Good Luck morientes you had some good moments in the Liverpool shirt.

:sniffle
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu May 25, 2006 9:15 pm

All the best Nando. Sorry it didn't work out!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu May 25, 2006 9:35 pm

Well I never fancied the signing of Fernando Morientes from the start, just felt that he would struggle with the nature of the Premiership, but never doubted his quality. He has exceptional movement, he can use 2 feet beautifully, excellent at attacking corners and crosses, awareness, passing and is very intelligent. But he just doesn’t enjoy physical contact, wants too much time on the ball, too many touches, etc.

He was poor in his first 6 months, but it was hard due to him being new at the club and not having played much football for 6 months, getting injuries and being cup tied for the Champions League meant he couldn’t get a run of games, and the team wasn’t playing well either. He got his head down, improved his English, got a full pre-season under his belt and deservedly started as a first team player at the start of the season, he got an extended run in the team but it became clear that he would never produce for us. A move back to Spain and a footballing side is just what he needs, I am confident he will go back and be an excellent signing for Valencia.

The positive out of this is that at least we know Rafa is different to Houllier. Houllier stuck by clear failures for too long and refused to admit his mistakes. Even though Morientes was one of Rafa’s favourites he still sold him because it was clear he wasnt going to cut it here, Rafa made a mistake, every manager does, but more importantly he accepted it and is rectifying it. He swallowed his pride and we made a loss, but I’m happy that he didn’t show any blind faith.

Thank you Fernando Morientes, you gave it your all both off and on the pitch, but unfortunately it didn’t work out, good luck for the future.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Thu May 25, 2006 10:10 pm

should have chucked in Cisse as part of the deal too!

61 games, 12 goals? no brainer.

:p

arrival of new striker imminent? but pleasa rafa, not bent, defoe, ashton or johnson.

Top drawer required.
Speedy Gonzalez

Postby El Nino_#9 » Thu May 25, 2006 10:18 pm

i wish nando all the best at valencia, no matter how poor his goalscoring record
was he always seemed to give it at least 100% every game.

i'm glad that rafa has the balls to get rid of fringe players without hesitation (unlike houllier).

hopefully we can replace nando with a top quality striker. my moneys on kuyt.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 pm

I echo the best wishes ent by everyone else. Nando on paper for us will go down as a failure but his attitude and effort were never questioned and I genuinely feel for him. It seemed sometimes he was playing with a huge weight on his shoulders, every missed chance seemed to drag him down. It could have been so different if he had scored a few early on but it just wsn't meant to be.
Anyway, I hope he does well in Spain.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu May 25, 2006 11:55 pm

Sometimes we have to accept (and it would appear Rafa has) that a signing doesn't work out.

I sense the general best wishes and platitudes of the majority on here hides the sheer frustration that a player of his pedigree couldn't quiet cut it in the highly physical and lighting quick Premiership.

Others have said he gave his all and I think most fans acknowledge that. Forlan proved you can regain your form and reputation on leaving the Premiership, lets hope Nando does the same..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Fri May 26, 2006 12:52 am

Good luck to him.

I personally think we got 3m for him, but i think we had to pay off some of his current contact so we gave him a mil, so we gained 2mil for him.

go on nando, show valencia that you still got it!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri May 26, 2006 1:09 am

Let's face it, as bigmick was so adament about, Nando was never going to cut it here. He said it himself, he didn't like/wasn't suited to the English game. I think he'll do well with Villa at Valencia, cos he still has all the technical ability a striker needs, and a few goals ealry in La Liga next season will really get his confidence going.

Good luck to the lad, but it's another striker we've signed for a reasonably sized fee that hasn't worked out. It's key this summer that we get the signing of a striker/strikers right.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 26, 2006 1:10 am

It's a shame it didn't work out. He couldn't adapt to the Premiership style. I wish him good luck with Valencia.

Obviously this means a new striker is forthcoming.

Kuyt perhaps?

I'm not convinced when it comes to Darren Bent.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Fri May 26, 2006 1:10 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:Good Luck Nando!
I was over the moon when we signed him but in the 18 months he was at the club you could tell from the look on his face at times he just wasn't getting a grip on the english game. It's a shame that some people on here have chosen to give him a negative send off. I believe that we should wish players the best of luck when they leave the club (unless they are signing for a major rival or their names is El-Hadji Diouf  :D  ).

Same here. Good Luck to Nando and i wish him all the best.
Anyway, who's gonna take Cisse?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Fri May 26, 2006 1:20 am

Anyway, who's gonna take Cisse?

He's staying ..

Mori .... Thank you and Good Luck !
LiverpoolMadman

Postby bigmick » Fri May 26, 2006 1:33 am

Well I'll join everybody else in wishing the fella good luck in his career at Valencia. I'm not sure I totally echo the "well I feel sorry for him" sentiments of a few, at the end of the day he has been exceptionally well paid to discover that ultimately he is not suited to English football but whatever, it would be churlish to deny that he has given of his best in the red shirt.
His ultimate failure should sound out a warning though to all those who advocate the signing of exclusively exotic sounding footballing artistes over the somewhat more prosaic talents of the existing home based players, it ain't always a good idea.
FWIW I didn't know at first that it wouldn't work out, I had barely seen the bloke play before we signed him. I was as excited as the next man when he joined Liverpool and thought we had pulled off a real coup. Unfortunately the rest is history and though I would commend Rafa for his ruthlessness in selling him on at this stage, I would temper this with some mild criticism fior the way in which he persisted with the Spaniard despite a string of dire performances in the first half of the season. Anyways it's all done and dusted now and hopefully Nando can rediscover the art of getting himself open in the box, of providing a real and persistent goal threat. I hope he does.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri May 26, 2006 2:03 am

Good Luck and thanks for trying Nando.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion