Fergie liverpool title contenders - This season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:30 am

From old whiskey nose himself hes admitting how good our LFC is going to be mind games or not, ya misrable sour faced git :p

Not many are tipping Liverpool to challenge for the title and 'experts' are mentioning only the names of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd but Sir Alex Ferguson thinks otherwise. He believes that his next opponents are serious contenders for the Premiership crown this season.

He acknowledged the impact already made by new Reds boss Rafael Benitez and reckons the side from Merseyside will be among those on top come the end of the season.

Ferguson noted that by following the example of Arsene Wenger and reinforcing his squad with untapped talent from his home country, Benitez has added an air of unpredictability to the Anfield outfit.

"By bringing in top players from the Spanish league, Rafael has done exactly what Arsene Wenger did when he joined Arsenal," said Ferguson.

"Arsene knew the French market very well, brought in young players most of the English clubs would have ignored and turned them into fantastic players."

"Rafael obviously has a great knowledge of the Spanish market, has his own ideas about the job and it will be interesting to see how it progresses."

"Liverpool were disappointed with their performances last season but they are always capable of challenging because they have history on their side and a past tradition of winning trophies."

"You cannot dismiss them and I certainly don't look at them as anything other than a serious threat."

Many will see this as yet another one of those mind games by Sir Alex to put pressure on Rafa Benitez and his team as Liverpool are still very much in a period of transition.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:33 am

He is a Master baiter of mind games that one
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:15 am

Like him or not and in my case not he's still a good manager and not in the style of Raf. Ferg is more ol school bully and shout.

Interestingly in an article in the ST last week the reporter suggested that the fans would have been more upset with him leavin than Becks, not sure I agree with that.

It suggested that was the choice the board had to make but I think the club must have been thinking of the long term implications for the club rather than the fact that Fergie was more popular than Becks.
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:24 am

He says this about us at the start of every season :angry:

It's just mind games as usual ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:43 am

Ignore him and concentrate on what Liverpool does and has to do, then the mind games will not affect any of us.

Rafael is not one to talk and gloat about anything, I saw the post match interview and he said only what is necessary! He is a throwback to the likes of Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan who hardly say anything to the press, and get their head down and concentrate on the job at hand.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:50 am

Raffa trained under fergie before he manager tenerife. He said it helped his knowledge as wenger an fergie are great managers even tho I hate fergie :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:53 am

Fergie is more of a very good motivator and is known to rule by fear, and he has good coaches like McLaren, Kidd and now Queroz who handles the team training etc. His teams (Aberdeen and Manure) are typically characterised by resilience and tenacity rather than absolutely sublime play but the teams have very good players who are very motivated. many times we see manure gets it wrong on the tactical side (CL final 1999 with Beckham in the middle but their luck and resilience won them the day).

Wenger is a better coach and tactician, also has a very uncanny ability to spot good young talents and nurture them into world beaters, but not as good a motivator. Arsenal play sublime football, are fast but lacked manure's tenacity and resillience - I think this is why they tend to struggle in Europe when the oposition manages to stifle their game. Last season, however, Wenger has manages to put more steele and determination into his Arsenal squad.

Can we compete with them? Looks likely with the new regime as we have been playing much better passing and build-up football than before. Fergie's mind games? Benithez should know how to deal with it.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:55 pm

azriahmad wrote:Fergie is more of a very good motivator and is known to rule by fear, and he has good coaches like McLaren, Kidd and now Queroz who handles the team training etc. His teams (Aberdeen and Manure) are typically characterised by resilience and tenacity rather than absolutely sublime play but the teams have very good players who are very motivated. many times we see manure gets it wrong on the tactical side (CL final 1999 with Beckham in the middle but their luck and resilience won them the day).

Wenger is a better coach and tactician, also has a very uncanny ability to spot good young talents and nurture them into world beaters, but not as good a motivator. Arsenal play sublime football, are fast but lacked manure's tenacity and resillience - I think this is why they tend to struggle in Europe when the oposition manages to stifle their game. Last season, however, Wenger has manages to put more steele and determination into his Arsenal squad.

Can we compete with them? Looks likely with the new regime as we have been playing much better passing and build-up football than before. Fergie's mind games? Benithez should know how to deal with it.

strongly agree with u but think this time Fergi really means that after watching Liv game vs Monaco  :D
whylongball?

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:50 pm

Seeing how Arsenal performed against Bolton, we might have a slim chance. Arsenal's defence is really shaky
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby shagasaurus80 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:54 pm

???  Yeah Looks like their seasons stuttering Ab ,with this one game against Bolton. Shaky defence is the sign of a club in decline :D Maybe just Maybe they had a bad game but thats unlikely  :laugh:  As i said they will drop points along the way and its up to the rest of us to take advantage of that as they would to us.
Do unto Man u as they would do unto you-but do it first! :D
27 years just waiting for a chance to win a major trophy
Give silverwear a glance
For 27 years we've been living next door to city
CITY, WHO THE F*CK ARE CITY
shagasaurus80

Postby XSD » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:08 pm

I think a lot of scum fans are more nervous than we might realize about Monday's game.
Their calamity goalkeeping/defending will not hold out against our pace and slick passing up front for long :)
They know it.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:43 pm

I wouldn't read anything into it.

Ferguson talks us up every year in what I think is an attempt to put pressure on our manager and on the board.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:13 pm

Shagarus, or whatever the hell your retarded name is. Arsenal's defence has looked shaky from the start of the season. Thats why the conceeded 3 goals to Boro,2 to Everton,etc..

Their midfield and offence correct the mistakes their defence makes. They can allow goals because they can score them. Today they played a bit sloppy in the midfield because Bolton played good tacticly.

Shove your Manchester shirt up your ******.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:16 pm

shagasaurus80 wrote: ???  Yeah Looks like their seasons stuttering Ab ,with this one game against Bolton. Shaky defence is the sign of a club in decline :D Maybe just Maybe they had a bad game but thats unlikely  :laugh:  As i said they will drop points along the way and its up to the rest of us to take advantage of that as they would to us.
Do unto Man u as they would do unto you-but do it first! :D

Have you ever taken a grammar class in school?

You might want to look at the points you have at the moment. Arsenal is still a long way from you.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:25 pm

A.B. really likes Man UTD fans!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion