FC PORTO VS LIVERPOOL 18th Sept - All Pre Match discussions here....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Graeme Noble » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Awful performance. Kuyt worked hard but he isn't world class, but he did well with the goal etc.
Pennant was stupid, but that Porto defender twice obstructed him.
Torres got no help, and just didn't do anything, and Gerrard and Mascherano were pish!

A point is a good result, and maybe we should pick Aurelio more often, he can deliver some quality crosses into the box.
Graeme Noble

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:
so what... now we're not letting him have an off day just because he's been tremendous for us almost every game?

In the last 12 months I can count on my fingers when he's played up to his level.

I somehow don't agree with this assessment. what is his level? are you talking about his superman displays where he tries to win every game on his own? forget it... that was when we had less than ideal squad... he has been playing well consistently for us without impersonating Kobe Bryant...

and FYI he didn't play against sunderland and derby and was a sub for portsmouth... of course he only played well against chelsea and villa...  :glare:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lucky » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:17 pm

AB's Red Army wrote:When he doesn't play well he should be criticized like every other player.

Can not argue with that, really. :(
Probably his worst performance I have ever seen.
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:18 pm

proberbly get slated over this but i thiught Porto used some good training ground moves on there free kick which caught us out
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:19 pm

One positive from tonight apart from the point, was Aurelio making a decent return. Didn't have time to make much of an impact but nice to see him back and he did make one good cross.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Lucky wrote:
AB's Red Army wrote:When he doesn't play well he should be criticized like every other player.

I'm not saying we shouldn't criticize him or any other players...

but we should not ONLY blame our players for this game...

yeah we played like :censored:...

but porto isn't an easy team to play against... look at their passing... they got so much technical skill... not to mention diving skills... and it was an away game

and the referee was :censored: like i said a dozen times...

sometimes it's easy to criticize when you're not really on the pitch in that kind of atmosphere...

just to blame our players and rafa's rotation is a bit narrow minded...

show some perspective guys
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm

s@int wrote:One positive from tonight apart from the point, was Aurelio making a decent return. Didn't have time to make much of an impact but nice to see him back and he did make one good cross.

Just arrived home and waiting for the download of the game to be able to comment, but that is a new a really was waiting for. He can be important for us, IMHO.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Refering to woofs quote.
Nothing better than this or my favourite song.

Dont ever forget it, it was part of history sang by Shaun Connery, My favourite Beatles song.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7TURxUUcj0A
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lucky » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 pm

maguskwt wrote:
Lucky wrote:

I'm not saying we shouldn't criticize him or any other players...

but we should not ONLY blame our players for this game...

yeah we played like :censored:...

but porto isn't an easy team to play against... look at their passing... they got so much technical skill... not to mention diving skills... and it was an away game

and the referee was :censored: like i said a dozen times...

sometimes it's easy to criticize when you're not really on the pitch in that kind of atmosphere...

just to blame our players and rafa's rotation is a bit narrow minded...

show some perspective guys

Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming him or anyone for the game, just agreed with some members here that he played poorly tonight. And we just can't deny that fact. That's all.
For the rest of your post, I'd say I couldn't agree more.
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby Woollyback » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:32 pm

hmmm...  what a bizarre game. we really weren't very good were we? we looked like we were playing a pre-season friendly and the players were rusty and unaccustomed to playing alongside eachother. very odd. gerrard was nowhere, mascherano looked out of sorts and the defence looked shaky. porto spent all night diving and the ref was a gullible tw@t. on nights like this i'm glad we have the likes of kuyt in the side. heart of a lion that bloke :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Oops just a bump for my fav song and film  :cool:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7TURxUUcj0A
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

even though babel wasnt very good i think he shows promise, hes strong as an ox and fast as a cheetah (both good qualities)

of course we all would have prefered quasimodo to have joined us but he was too pricey me thinks
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby The Grudge » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 pm

For fuc.ck sake...You'd think we got beat fair and square or were out of a major competition!

I can understand people being a bit annoyed,I appreciate the feeling in your tummy all day coming up to a game like this.I understand wanting to win so much and being deflated after only drawing.

In reality the game was terrible..If i was a neutral watching that i would have turned it over and watched CSI or something just not as bad as that!

OK the boys did not really perform,a few above have already highlighted Gerrard as having a poor game which is fair enough as he did!
But Babel done almost nothing all night either.Pennant looked like a spoilt schoolboy with an attitude problem and Mascherano was a little better than the rest but still poor!
The whole midfield was disfunctional.

It was a disheartening game to play in when so much was going against us and every decision that was played for was granted by a sh.ite referee!

BUT HEY!!

Calm down..we have one point away to Porto,our hardest match of the group.Surely we will not see another game so stale in the other five?
Sometimes it happens like it did tonight,and thats just the way European footballl is !!My hunch as to why we were so poor apart from the diving and ref??

We have been playing physically and at fast pace in the EPL and trying hard...Tonight it was a different style and the players are not yet climatised to the more tactical and slower approach needed in Europe this early on in the season!
But it will come as it always does.......WE WILL TOP THE GROUP!!
The Grudge

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 pm

Bit of perspective people.

We have conceded 3 goals this season in 9 games; all 3 where penaltys.

We have still got room for improvement.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lucky » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm

s@int wrote:Or maybe we just don't play well against teams who's name starts with a "P".

Then thank god we only got one such team in EPL. :D
Lucky

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion