Famous five returns - Friday questions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:03 pm

Ok guys, here's friday's questions:

1) If Liverpool fielded and entire match squad of all 'foriegners',a la Arsenal, how would you feel.......dont care or crying shame?

2) With us being the tenth 'richest' club in Europe, if you were in charge, how would you go about in increasing our revenue?

3) England have their most talented squad going into the WC for many a generation. Do you think if Rafa was in charge they would progress further than under Sven? If yes, why?

4) Alledgedly Roman was going to buy the team that finished 4th the year he bought CFC. How would you feel if events had played out differently and we were sat top of the PL and we were watching world class players every week?

5) Does the constant speculation and all the 'Is Gerrard going' talk every summer pi$$ you off as much as it does me?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Hotrod » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:20 pm

1) Tough question, depending on the cirmunstances if like Arsenal our British players were injured or simply not good enough then I might be able to live with it, but if they were available centinaly not

2)I am not great on the finacial side but I would like to maybe see more advirtsing for the club TV wise, and get sky to stop showing Newcastle, Boro and Spurs and shows more and myabe get out own channel(or do we have one of those)

3)I think Rafa is that good a manger he wud improve almost any team in Europe. However I think Rafa like to force stuff into his players like the zonal marking sytem and things that and that requires daily contact with players and clubs, but I really do like how Rafa likes to take a chance not only with subs but with tactics something Sven does not do so yes I think he would improve the England set up

4)Personally I am happy with the way things turned out and if Roman dids buy us we might be the club hated by everyone rather than Chelsea, and maybe its just me but I don't get this togethness from Chelsea that I see with our team. I would nt complain about all that money would love tosee wat Rafa would do with it.

5)It really does but with the signing of the new contact last year I thought it was finally over I think this Juve stuff is just tabloids lookin for something to write about.
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:43 pm

Hotrod wrote:I am not great on the finacial side but I would like to maybe see more advirtsing for the club TV wise, and get sky to stop showing Newcastle, Boro and Spurs

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:59 pm

1. don,t care but would rather have a whole team from the academy

2. first phone call would be to steve morgan to say " if your that big a fan build us a stadium at cost"
    get a bug put in the manc marketing office
    and sell liverpool scatch cards where you can win tickets or a season tick or just lfc shop :censored:

3. rafa because he would actually make some football decisions and not just agree with what the papers say

4. if we had to play like chelsea no and maureen no thanks

5. better to have players at the club that everybody wants than a team full of patric bergers and biscan's who noboby wants, now his head is sorted the papers can print what ever they like
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby AlanHansen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:08 pm

[quote="stmichael"][/quote]
1) don't care, some of our best players in the past have been foreign.

2) Things like merchandising, shirt sales, maybe even a new stadium!

3) Yes, Sven has no plan b and doesn't have the balls to take off players like beckham etc

4) I wouldn't want us to play like chelsea and there's a sense that their success is artificial, I'd like ours to be founded on results.

5) I don't think it will come up this summer(better not!). It pisses me off when the media try to upset clubs.
AlanHansen

Postby Kukilon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:24 pm

1. I wouldn't like it since I think a certain core of the team needs to be non-foreigners. "local" lads are always liked better by the fans etc. I wouldn't be ashamed though.

2. I don't like it but the best thing is probably go around playing friendlies around the world to get new fans that buys more stuff and demands to see LFC on the tele. Build a larger stadium and make sure that no free tickets are handed out to semi-important people.

3. I doubt it since Rafa has to many special things "zonal marking etc" that needs time to be able to work good and a coach is not given that much time with the players in national teams. He is still the best coach in the world though.

4. I wouldn't hate the club but I would dream of the day Roman got bored so the club could become its old self again.

5. It does but most world class players have these rumours around them and especially if they have been thinking about leaving some time ago.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:27 pm

1. I'd be disappointed if we were fielding a team of foreigners ala Arsenal. It just wouldn't seem right. I always prefer to see at least one scouser in the side - never mind English.

2. We have got to be a bit more ruthless with our sponsorship deals, and be more demanding of our sponsors. I'm sure we could of got a lot more last summer than the renewal deal we struck with Carlsberg. I also think Reebok have cost us a few million this year with there handling of the champions league kit - it was a complete fiasco. The club also could of cashed in last summer by releasing the shirt worn in the cup final (with the Liverbird in the centre) - I even emailed Reebok to tell them this, but they fecked me off (people were selling these on ebay for up to £100)

3. No brainer. Rafa has too many tricks up his sleeve, while Sven plays the same hand every time.

4. If Roman would of bought us? I'd like to say that I wouldn't be happy that we have bought our way to the title, but in reality, we'd probably be as chuffed as Chelsea fans are now. I think it's just as well he didn't, I'd hate to think of the rest of the country despising us, as everyone does Chelsea. Liverpool FC has comanded respect worldwide because of our achievements and history, I wouldn't want that respect to be compromised.

5. The papers are just doing there job - printing half stories to sell newspapers.  How many times are we teniously linked to players from other clubs - it pi$$es their fans off just the same no doubt. (eg Stelios/Bolton, Malbranque/Fulham etc)
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 pm

stmichael wrote:Ok guys, here's friday's questions:

1) If Liverpool fielded and entire match squad of all 'foriegners',a la Arsenal, how would you feel.......dont care or crying shame?

2) With us being the tenth 'richest' club in Europe, if you were in charge, how would you go about in increasing our revenue?

3) England have their most talented squad going into the WC for many a generation. Do you think if Rafa was in charge they would progress further than under Sven? If yes, why?

4) Alledgedly Roman was going to buy the team that finished 4th the year he bought CFC. How would you feel if events had played out differently and we were sat top of the PL and we were watching world class players every week?

5) Does the constant speculation and all the 'Is Gerrard going' talk every summer pi$$ you off as much as it does me?

1. Not pleasing. I am an Englishman and would like to see the best team, with the best English players in it - a bit like we have now !!  :buttrock

2. I think we are doing very well in the far east and reasonable well across the board. Continual success will increase this revenue - Manchester United only started getting really successful after they had a few trophies under theor belt.

3. I think that Rafa and Sven are  not completely different, they are both thinkers with a deep understanding of the game. For me Rafa would do better in the WC as he has shown that he can get the best out of players in critical situations - his ultra detailed approach to preparation is something that the England team need.

4. I do not think he would have been successful in a bid for LFC. The fans would have been against it  - unlike Chelsea, we were not desperate.

5. Yes.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1120597113 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Nice post ! :)

1)It would'nt matter a damn to me if our players were from the backend of beyond!As long as they pull on the jersey,play with passion and give there all for the LFC cause i'm happy!Race and nationality are  irrelevant to me in any sport! I suspect scousers would be upset if there were no local lads in the team and i can understand that ! But to me 100% hard work and effort is more important!

2)Every time im in Liverpool im amazed by the crowds that go to the LFC shop in the city centre!This place must make millions a year! Fans do not mind spending a bit more on official merchandise as they know some goes to the club and its great quality as opposed to some of the sh.ite available or the copies available for a tenner at your local hooky market!
Here in Belfast they have Official Rangers and Celtic shops!They do a good trade!
Liverpool have a huge following all over Ireland and im sure an LFC store in Belfast and Dublin would generate a nice profit for the club! Im sure theres other countries in the world that these shops would be an idea and do a good trade!

3)If Raffa had been in charge the length of time Sven has im sure they would be in better shape to challenge for the world cup! The reason being hes simply a better manager and possesses one thing Sven knows nothing about......Passion!!

4)Yes and No!! Ok we all crave success,but at  what price? Id be happy to be at the top of the league and the difference would have been that LFC regardless of investment,would have got there with a lot more grace and a lot less arrogance!!
In saying that if we win the title this year or next it will taste a lot better having done it through hard work and progression than buying it!

5)It did over the last few seasons,especially last!! But the captain has committed himself to LFC for good(albeit by oral contract)!! We have to accept his word is enough,ignore the media speculation and hope he stays!!
I think he will as an LFC fan how could anyone really play for anyone else!!
66-1120597113

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:06 pm

1) I'd be dead against it. An occasional first 11 without an Englishman I could cope with, but to cultivate a squad without any English guy playing a prominent part would make me feel a little alienated from the club. Thankfully, Rafa's investment in young English talent for the youth and reserve team setup leads me to believe that such a scenario is nowhere near happening.

2) I think where we go with the stadium is going to play a huge part in our financial future. Arsenal have taken the plunge, and could find themselves in an incredibly strong position next season with a huge new stadium and a fast-rising squad of young players. For me, I'd work day and night to resolve the doubts over the city's ability to transport the number of fans involved in the new stadium project, but go way beyond the current thinking and get the capacity for the new stadium upped to 80,000. We simply have to get moving on it, because every season it doesn't happen will mean the financial gap between Chelsea, Man U and us will get wider and wider. An 80,000 stadium will cost a fortune, but the long term financial benefits will be absolutely enormous.

3) Some managers are born club managers, and some are born international managers. Rafa's in the former category, and I'd say that Venables is the best example of the latter category. Rafa's the kind of guy that needs time with players, and the England job just doesn't provide that.

4) Hadn't heard that, but to be honest, knowing what I know now, I'm glad that this didn't happen. Victory earned is so much sweeter than victory bought.

5) It's incredibly frustrating, but it's also incredibly complimentary. Everyone wants him, but we've got him, so they can all f**k off.  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby anti-hero » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:35 am

1) I wouldnt care if the players were green and only had one leg. As long as they wore our Red and played hard with pride and passion I'm ok with it.

2) I would focus much more on increasing the fan base than increasing revenue. Revenue's inportant but I regard the fan base as being more substantial. I live in California where the vast majority of the people are soccer-crazy South Americans and the only teams from the Premiership that they know is Arsenal and ManU. It drives me crazy and I've yet, in my 2 years of staying here, to see a Liverpool shirt anywhere. ANYWHERE. The team needs to play a match or two, or three over here to convert some of these people who by the way, are incredibly passionate about football, to the Red faith.

3) What has Sven won?

4) NO. Because we still have a soul.

5) Well actually its quite flattering. Speculation is only that. Speculation. The media tend to blow up even the slightest of things and personally I dont take them seriously until I've heard a statement straight from the player.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:47 am

stmichael wrote:Ok guys, here's friday's questions:

1. I wouldn't slit my wrists, but I would obviously prefer to have some scousers in the team.

2. Whore-out the players' wives and girlfriends, and whore-out the players themselves.

If that fails, I'd sign a famous star of Chinese football for £2.50, and watch the shirts sell.

3. If Rafa was the gaffa of England we'd win it, purely because he is the most gifted manager in World football. He can get the big-names playing, and he can dredge-up some wonderful performances from even the sh*test players. His tactics are the work of a genius, and no other manager comes close IMHO.

4. It would be different for us as we would retain dignity and pride, but I know what you mean St Mike.
If we were like Sh*tski I would be ashamed. If the current ethos remained, I'd be as happy as Larry.

5. No.

It p*sses me off much, MUCH more! (But it IS funny now!!!!!  :D )
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:35 pm

1. If circumstances dictated that through injury or suspension, the best 11 we could put out did not include an english player, I could take it. But it's important to have an english core to the squad.

2. TV channel, do a loan/1st option deal with a south American club, up the sponsorship and do a US/Japanese tour every summer.

3. I really couldn't say. Maybe Rafa is better on a game to game basis, so he might do a bit better.

4. I'd probably be very happy, but I would worry about our financial stability (if he left) and I would demand that our heratage be honoured.

5. Oh God yes. It's so boring, nerve-wracking and tiresome.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:59 pm

we have fielded an entire foreign 11, 86 cup final.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:13 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote:we have fielded an entire foreign 11, 86 cup final.

There was one "Englishman" in the starting line-up

Any guesses?
Last edited by NiftyNeil on Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion