F*ck off, fergie - Says the refs

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:42 pm

Well, not exactly in those words, but basically more or less. The thing that's so annoying is that officials usually tend to make these kinds of statements whenever they are retired. They never have the balls to open their gobs when they still officiating. Nevertheless, it's still refreshing to read a professional view on the events of Sunday, and more or less just confirming what we already know that the Mancs, fans, players, and manager alike are more or less just a bunch of crying c*nts whenever they don't get their way.

Referees have responded forcefully to Sir Alex Ferguson's criticisms of their abilities by claiming the Manchester United manager's knowledge of football's rules is alarmingly hazy and that his twin attacks on Alan Wiley and Andre Marriner should prompt a stadium ban. "It's so frustrating when a manager as experienced and respected as Sir Alex Ferguson makes a statement about the laws of the game which is completely inaccurate," said Jeff Winter, a former Premier League referee.

Winter was highlighting Ferguson's insistence that Jamie Carragher should have been shown a red rather than yellow card for hauling down Michael Owen on the edge of the area during United's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool yesterday.

Another senior refereeing source, still officiating at Premier League matches, agreed with Winter. "Ferguson clearly doesn't understand the law about the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity," he said. "The fouled player has to have full control of the ball and has to be moving towards the goal but Michael Owen did not fulfil either condition.

"[Sunday's match official] Andre Marriner was absolutely right to award a yellow card and a direct free-kick," he added. "It would have been totally wrong for him to have sent Jamie Carragher off. And Sir Alex should never have said that Andre Marriner was not an experienced referee when he is on the Fifa list and got all the important decisions right on Sunday."

Ferguson's latest comments, although circumspect in comparison with his criticism of Wiley, were being analysed by the Football Association's compliance department today. It is understood, however, that the FA is unlikely to bring any charges against the United manager for questioning Marriner's experience to officiate a game of Sunday's magnitude or criticising the referee's refusal to dismiss Carragher or award a penalty against the Liverpool defender for a challenge on Michael Carrick.

As a veteran of several run-ins with Ferguson, Winter wonders if United's manager was merely deflecting attention from a defeat. "I don't know if Sir Alex Ferguson has got a problem with referees but he has got a problem when Manchester United don't win and blaming the referee is the easy option," he said. "His statement about Carragher shows that either he doesn't know the laws of the game or he's resorting to mind games again."

Winter disagrees with suggestions that Ferguson is mellowing with age. "There are signs that his temper is getting worse," he said. "Some of his touchline antics, when you see the veins standing out on his neck and see him swearing and shouting, are not too good for his own health let alone anyone else's.

"I don't know whether it's age or what but he seems to be getting less tolerant of everybody and everything – especially when Manchester United don't manage to win. This sort of thing seems to be happening every other week with him now."

Like others in the refereeing fraternity, Winter is hoping that the FA will punish Ferguson severely for not just yesterday's comments but his suggestions that Wiley's fitness was suspect following United's recent 2-2 home draw against Sunderland.

"If I were the FA I would personally impose a Fifa-style stadium ban on Sir Alex," said Winter. "I think it's got to be harsh punishment to teach him and everyone else a lesson. The FA have to take serious action against him. Anything less and the Respect campaign is dead in the water. They've got to show Sir Alex and everyone else that behaviour like this will not be tolerated. A fine or, in this case, even a touchline ban won't be enough."

A stadium ban would leave Ferguson watching from the stands and barred from any contact with his players before or during a match once they have entered the stadium. In 2005 Chelsea's then-manager Jose Mourinho received a two-game stadium ban following his comments about Anders Frisk following a Champions League game against Barcelona.

Winter felt Marriner had a "very good" game but acknowledged it was the referee's first Premier League game involving two top-four teams. "There's a first time for everything, though," said Winter. "Andre did well because players from both sides had clearly been told to pressure him and I noticed that his every decision was contested by at least three players."

He also feels the FA should speed up their disciplinary procedures. "All this suggests that Sir Alex isn't really concerned about the authorities," he said. "It's three-and-a-half weeks since his comments about Alan Wiley and still nothing has happened."
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 pm

If only the FA had implemented the newkit card system he'd be gagged and banned from entering all arenas by now :D
LFC2007

Postby Dazzer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Nothing will be done I doubt because the F.A are gutless wonders.Plus fergie has one of this boys in with them(wolf among sheep). :no
Dazzer
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm

LFC2007 wrote:If only the FA had implemented the newkit card system he'd be gagged and banned from entering all arenas by now :D

Yeah but like the buggers on here, he'd be back on the bench the following week wearing a fake beard and muzzy!  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm

there was an old ref years ago( if the names comes to me i will post it) and when he left the game he stated that Old Alex would run down the tunnel at half time banning on his door asking why the free kicks were not being given to his team, the ref said " i would give you team free kicks if any of the get fouled" alex was the said to have told the ref that he was going to make sure it was the las game he was ever got to be a ref at.

the Ref then stated that he gave man u a pen in the 2nd half and it was a ver clear pen, but after the game Alex walked up to him and said "see you know i have the power"

the ref reported it to the FA but nothing was ever done about it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:24 pm

Reg wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:If only the FA had implemented the newkit card system he'd be gagged and banned from entering all arenas by now :D

Yeah but like the buggers on here, he'd be back on the bench the following week wearing a fake beard and muzzy!  :laugh:

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby red37 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:32 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
Reg wrote:

I'm going to have a good 'guffaw' at that too lads.  :D

How true though..

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Hes an absolute disgrace who gets away with murder year after year. If anyone else said what he said they would be banned for life. He is getting worse instead of better. Why is everyone so terrified of the stupid alr scotch purple nose tw@t.
Someone should say something in the press.
Maybe another manager...
???
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 pm

I've just been reading what Roberto Martinez has been saying about Fergie, dunno why he's opened his mouth but its funny as fook! :laugh:
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby made in UK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Yeah but like the buggers on here, he'd be back on the bench the following week wearing a fake beard and muzzy!   

"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Benny The Noon

Postby made in UK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

"AK-47" :laugh:
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member