Euro meeting tomorrow

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:49 pm

Liverpool supporter Brian Barwick

The Football Association will meet tomorrow to try and decide who will go into next year's Champions League competition should Liverpool win the tournament.

F.A. bosses must decide whether the qualification place should go to Liverpool as holders (should they win) or to Everton (should they finish 4th in the Premier League). Under such circumstances only one team could be entered into the Champions League next time around.

The good news is that new F.A. chief executive Brian Barwick is a Liverpool fan! It would also be criminal for a team that finishes fourth to be preferred over the winners of the competition.

There's still a long way to go but the F.A. must have a decision in place should it happen.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm fairly certain that we'll get the nod if it happens, but honestly I can't see the circumstances being met, but heres to a red future !!
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:11 pm

yeah...the FA will not wanna shoot themselves in their foot.

1)We are a G-14 club.
2)If we win the champions league, it is not only for liverpool but for england as a whole.
3)EverSh1t are a sh1tty club. they prob won't even qualify for the group stages.

We will deffo get the nod if we win the champions league.  Remeber the champions league or european club was intended for the champions of the respective league and the previous year's winners....... So if they wanna continue with history, we will get the nod.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:15 pm

There shouldn't be a meeting.  If Liverpool win the thing, fu*k Everton if they finished fourth.
jonnymac1979

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:02 pm

Anyone else see an appeal and huge lawyers fees comin if we win the CL and Neverton get kicked out for us.......? :cool:
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:25 pm

How could they honestly choose a forth play team to the CL winner, plus the fourth spot team might get knocked out in the CL qualifiers and they we'd only have 2 or 3 teams in the group stages, doesn't make sense to me! :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:40 pm

If we win the Cl, then Everton should be placed in the UEFA Cup.

I do know however that it would be a frickin disgrace if somehow Bolton ended up in the CL.

:D  :D  :D
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:Anyone else see an appeal and huge lawyers fees comin if we win the CL and Neverton get kicked out for us.......? :cool:

I am sure they will be heavily compensated by the FA thats for sure
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:41 pm

The holders of the cup ,whoever they might be, should always be given the chance to defend their title. But based on our league performance this season I'm not convinced the rsoles at the FA will see it our way.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:44 pm

I thought UEFA had said that the holders had to be given the chance to defend the title?  Surely, if this is the case, the FA meeting is just a formality
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:48 pm

Sorry...I was wrong..... FA would ultimately decide....

QUOTE:

Should they win the trophy and finish fifth, it would be left to the discretion of the FA whether or not Liverpool would be put forward to defend the trophy. If the FA decide to do this and their request was accepted, the team finishing fourth in the Premiership would drop into the UEFA Cup.

"One country cannot have more than four places - it would be up to the FA to make the request for Liverpool," a UEFA spokesman told official website www.liverpoolfc.tv

Champions League regulations states: "At the request of the national association concerned, the UEFA Champions League title-holders may be entered for this competition, if they have not qualified via the top domestic league championship.

"If, in such a case, the title-holders come from an association entitled to enter four teams for the UEFA Champions League, the fourth-placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA Cup."
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:49 pm

It's NOT UEFA who decide should the scanario that LFC win the CL and finish outside the top 4 happen.

I don't share fans optimism on here that we will get the nod as the FA are basicaly spineless and the FA owe UEFA nothing and I believe they will decide to allow the 4th placed team to enter at Liverpool's expense IF that team is Everton. Should Bolton make 4th I think the FA wil boot them and allow Liverpool to defend the trophy ..........

Just MY opinion and there are a lot of IFS and BUTs before the FA are forced to male a decision ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:42 am

Ian, FA have to make the decision but the UEFA has to APPROVE it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:49 am

You may be aware that a couple of seasons ago Real Madrid won the CL and finished 5th in their respective League. The Spanish FA decided to allow Real to enter the following seasons CL  as holders UEFA approved that.

The way the rules are at present the teams that finish in the top positions automaticaly gain entry but as the above scenario demonstartes UEFA aren't that bothered when it comes to one of the  clubs ! ???

The ultimate decision wil rest with the FA and i've about as much faith in them  as I do in our Away form !!!!!
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:51 am

:D

It would be a crime if the champions didnt get to defend their title.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion