England captain? - Liverpool players in the role

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:49 pm

Just got off the soccernet website which had an interesting article on the currently vacant England captain's role.

Fat Frank reckons he'd do a "good job" in the role!  :Oo:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374645&cc=4716

He must be having a larf! After all the rubbish that we had to put up with with Becks in the job, I really can't imagine if we had to put up with another imbecile....

Looking through red-coloured lenses, the job has to go to Stevie.
But was wondering....

Anyone know how many LFC players have ever captained England or any other national team for that matter?

Off the top of me head, I can only remember a couple
1. Souey
2. Keegan

Other than that I know we had some players who took the armband for a few friendlies.... like Robbie, Owen, Phil Neal etc but not on a prolonged basis....

Just curious.....

Oh.... and don't google this.... try it just from memory..  :D
ConnO'var

Postby CardinalRed » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:18 pm

ConnO'var, I tried having a think about your International Captains poser and staying off Google at the same time! The Player whose done it the most is (I think) Crazy Horse himself.... Emlyn captained England 23 times and only a couple of those were after he'd gone to Wolves. I know the armband get's tossed around these days with all the substitutions in Internationals but the true measure should always be leading your Country out. Micheal Owen's done it 8 times (all when he was a red) and surprisingly Phil Neal only did it once... Dunno much about other Countries but I'm sure Sami captained Finland when they played England at Anfield a couple of seasons back? Someone will put me right no doubt!
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:21 pm

The late "Crazy Horse" captained England on a regular basis. Don't know if it counts but Rigobert Song captains Cameroon.

I think by mentioning Emlyn Hughes, it wouldn't be right without saying he is still remembered by us and may he Rest In Peace.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:22 pm

There was a special in the offical LFC magazine on who has captained their countries. Its been cut up now and put in the scrapbooks so I can't tell you any from it right now.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:15 pm

i`m pretty sure phil thompson captained england at some point.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:59 pm

steven gerrard has captained england once in a friendly if that counts?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:10 pm

Of course steven should be captain do you ever see fat frank motivate shitski like steven motivates the champions i think not.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby soccerfreek421 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Gerrard is the best option, there are no other real leaders on the squad besides him and a guy like Ashley Cole, who could be the underdog the role.
Last edited by soccerfreek421 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that." Bill Shankly
soccerfreek421
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:39 pm

I think Gerrard needs to be captain to be a better player. He takes it apon himself to win matches as if it were his responsibility. My only worry is he will lose something playing for Liverpool if he were England captain, but other than that he is the best choice to be England captain.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:06 pm

the day after rafa spoke of steven gerrard possibly being the next england captain, terry was in the paper staking his claim...dont get me wrong terry would make a good captain...but now lampard fancies the job...lamps a better leader than gerrard, i dont think so, im convinced it will be gerrard or john terry both great leaders on the pitch...  ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool_In_My_Blood » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Terry would do a great job as England skipper and if that means Gerrard satys as good for Liverpool as has been in recent years then by all means give it to Terry. But if giving the captains armband to Stevie gives him that little bit better for Liverpool then McClaren should give it to Stevie.

Gerrard showed what a great leader he is in Istanbul. Terry has never really been put under a great deal of pressure while at Chelsea so we don't what he is like. Anyone can captain a side, especially one like Chelsea who win practically every week, it's the ones who stand up and be counted who are the great captains, Terry does do this by the way lads. Terry and Gerrard are different types of captains. Terry balls at you while Gerrard takes the responsibilty of changing a match. Whoever gets it I don't mind because when it comes to England I'm an England fan and want England to do well not just the Liverpool boys.
people say laughing is the best remody for illness and that is why Evertonians never get sick
Liverpool_In_My_Blood

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:49 am

We need a man to be captain, not some weedy ball of fluff who cries everytime he loses in a cup-competition.

McLaren - Gerrard is the man for the job. Forget your Scum ties and just make the right decision, you dickhead.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:44 am

i think that terry will get the nod to be england captain but i dont see why wen you have got gerrard no offence to terry but all you have to do is watch gerrard soldier liverpool on throughout the past two seasons easpecially in the champions league and the fa cup final. Im not sayin this because im a liverpool fan , im sayin this because you dont see john terry picking his team up when theyre playing rubbish by the scruff of the neck , like you see gerrard do time after time for liverpool. Chelsea will probably pay mcclaren to give terry the captains armband

GERRARD NEXT ENGLAND CAPTAIN
YNWA
Kopite-Jud

Postby Billy_5_Times » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:17 pm

Gerrard to be England captain because then he wont be sacrificed to accomadate Fat Frank
Billy_5_Times

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:24 pm

From a personalk point of view, I do no want Gerrard getting the england captaincy, I dont want him playing meaningless friendlies all over the planet when he should be resting/training with us.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion