Emlyn hughes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:25 pm

Today is 6 years since he passed.

RIP crazy horse!  :buttrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9-3gv0K84

YNWA

In February 1967, after just 28 appearances for Blackpool, he signed for Liverpool in the February for £65,000. Manager Bill Shankly was stopped in his car by the police as he drove Hughes to Liverpool for the first time and said: "Don't you know who I've got in this car? The captain of England!" The policeman peered through the window and said that he didn't recognise the man, to which Shankly replied: "No, but you will!" In the future Hughes did indeed go on to captain his country.

Hughes made his Reds debut in the 2-1 league win over Stoke City at Anfield on 4 March 1967, he scored his first goal in the 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle United, again, at Anfield on the 26 August the same year.

Hughes settled into the midfield at Liverpool during a transitional period for the club, earning the nickname Crazy Horse after an illegal rugby tackle on Newcastle United winger Albert Bennett. Liverpool didn't win any honours in his first four seasons there but Hughes was seen as a demonstration of the future which Shankly had in mind.
Last edited by tubby on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Liverpool FC legend Emlyn Hughes remembered (PICS & VIDEO)

Nov 9 2010 By Dan Kay
Add a comment
Recommend

LIVERPOOL FC legend Emlyn Hughes lost his long battle against cancer on this day six years ago - read a tribute to him here

In honour of the first Reds skipper to lift the European Cup, here he is in action during his glittering career

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpo....7626143
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Wonderful player and a great ambassador for the club. RIP Crazyhorse.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm

i met Emlyn was i was 13 and found him to be one of the nicest people i've ever met. RIP Crazyhorse
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Frightening to think what he'd be worth in the current market.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm

RIP crazyhorse.. LEGEND YNWA :buttrock
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm

6 years already? wow.

The man was a legend and will always be remembered as so.

Rest in Peace.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:52 pm

The finest captain Liverpool Football Club ever had.... it was an honor Sir 
R.I.P  CRAZYHORSE 1947 -2004
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite25 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:48 pm

Still got my dads 77 season shirt that Crazy Horse was kind enough to autograph for me years later. Never really saw him play myself but was a true gent on the couple of occassions I met him.

RIP EM
Shankly on boardroom meetings - 'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9349/kkwt.jpg
Kopite25

Postby redhayesy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:11 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:The finest captain Liverpool Football Club ever had.... it was an honor Sir 

TOTALLY SPOT ON MATE! TOTALLY AGREE -HE WAS THE THE BEST CAPTAIN LFC HAVE EVER HAD!

can't believe it has been so long since he lost is battle for life. the man was a very couragous & sincere man,his love for the FC will be hard to match for any player that's for sure.

i had my own private minutes silence today for Emlyn & his family.

R.I.P CRAZY HORSE. YOU WERE & ALWAYS BE A LEGEND
          OF LIVERPOOL FC & THE CITY. NEVER,EVER FORGOTTEN!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 pm

redhayesy wrote:TOTALLY SPOT ON MATE! TOTALLY AGREE -HE WAS THE THE BEST CAPTAIN LFC HAVE EVER HAD!

can't believe it has been so long since he lost is battle for life. the man was a very couragous & sincere man,his love for the FC will be hard to match for any player that's for sure.

i had my own private minutes silence today for Emlyn & his family.

R.I.P CRAZY HORSE. YOU WERE & ALWAYS BE A LEGEND
          OF LIVERPOOL FC & THE CITY. NEVER,EVER FORGOTTEN!

Brilliant video 100 players that shook the Kop

CRAZYHORSE
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 pm

A true legend
What a celebrator of goals as well!
Fantastic!!!
Thommo's perm

Postby redhayesy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:The finest captain Liverpool Football Club ever had.... it was an honor Sir 

also mate, i find it sad that there isn't even a mention of him on the offical web site!  for all youngsters of LFC out there,his love & enthusiasm as a person & player were second to none. it's all about education in remembering Emlyn in everything he did for & stood for.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 pm

bavlondon wrote:Today is 6 years since he passed.

RIP crazy horse!  :buttrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9-3gv0K84

YNWA

In February 1967, after just 28 appearances for Blackpool, he signed for Liverpool in the February for £65,000. Manager Bill Shankly was stopped in his car by the police as he drove Hughes to Liverpool for the first time and said: "Don't you know who I've got in this car? The captain of England!" The policeman peered through the window and said that he didn't recognise the man, to which Shankly replied: "No, but you will!" In the future Hughes did indeed go on to captain his country.

Hughes made his Reds debut in the 2-1 league win over Stoke City at Anfield on 4 March 1967, he scored his first goal in the 6-0 thrashing of Newcastle United, again, at Anfield on the 26 August the same year.

Hughes settled into the midfield at Liverpool during a transitional period for the club, earning the nickname Crazy Horse after an illegal rugby tackle on Newcastle United winger Albert Bennett. Liverpool didn't win any honours in his first four seasons there but Hughes was seen as a demonstration of the future which Shankly had in mind.

thanks for the video clip mate,for me the statement by shanks at the end says it all for me!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Feckin amazing player , so underated by the southern press at the time . Two footed , brilliant shot , brave as anyone and strong as feck . What a player he was , RIP crazyhorse .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion