Emile heskey... - Should i stay or should i go ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rimetto » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:41 pm

He'd fit in with rivaldo cause he's someone that can't stay on his feet and also gets payed more than what he's worth.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:12 pm

Heskey is the most fustrating player i know. He has all the physical attributes to become a world class striker but he rarely delivers. He seems to deliver only when his future is unclear

Brimingham is showing some interest in him, and he has a good game against blackburn (same as when Boro showed interest, he has a good game against chelsea). Now that GH said he wants to keep heskey, u can imagine how he will perform against Arsenal.

I have said it before, and i will say it again... Heskey is the best....... the best defensive striker in the world.   :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:29 pm

Stats don't tell the whole story I know, but some of these surprised me:

Heskey has 58 goals from 216 appearances in all competitions for Liverpool since his arrival.

As a comparison:
Owen has 155 from 290.
Murphy has 42 from 242.

And from our major rivals in recent years:
Henry has 143 from 247 for Arsenal.
Ljundberg has 54 from 222.
Pires has 53 from 182.
Hasselbaink has 87 from 171 since he joined Chelsea.
Gudjohnsen has 59 from 162 in a similar period (58 of which were subs appearances).
Van Nistelrooy has 106 from 141 for the Scummers.
Solskjaer has 116 from 325 (126 of which were subs appearances).
Scholes has 115 from 411.

Other interesting comparisons:
Fowler has 26 from 84 for Leeds and Man C since he left us.
Anelka has 39 from 99 on loan with us and with Man C.
Viduka has 70 from 162 for Leeds.

Players apparently in decline:
Sheringham has 35 from 112 since May 2001 when he rejoined Spurs.
Andy Cole has 35 from 93 since he left Man U.

It's a tricky one - if he had more confidence and was more aggressive when he's on the ball, he'd definitely find the net more. But he has just 37 league goals since he arrived, and that's nowhere near good enough. As these stats and more show, teams like Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U have goals coming from all over the place behind the front two (and from the bench when really needed), and unless we have midfielders pinging them in regularly, we'll need more ammo up front for those days when Owen isn't firing on all cylinders.

Heskey's always had the potential to be an awesome player, but he's 26 now, and we've been waiting for him to fulfil it since he arrived just over four years ago. I'd personally give him another season to see if competition from Cisse raises his game, but to be honest I'm far from hopeful that he'll ever find the level we need from him.
ivor_the_injun

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:52 pm

I can't see much room for Heskey is Cisse comes.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:59 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I can't see much room for Heskey is Cisse comes.

Is he worth keeping as cover ? He does play wherever he is told , without complaint .And Mikey is bound to have at least a couple of weeks off with an injury

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:00 pm

I'm sure the earlier quote about Rivaldo welcoming Heskey into the Brazilian squad is true. It would mean that Rivaldo would be guaranteed a start every week and the brazilian fans would love it when HE plays.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:08 pm

In all honesty, I am not sure which road to take.

I am torn like you would not beleive.

My head says we must be ruthless. Heskey does not score enough goals, he is not at the required skill level to be World calss, goes down too easy and is a general pansy for someone his size.

However my heart says that he is awesome when he is on form, European clubs hate playing the big strong English centre forward, he tries his a#se off every game and in general he is a nice lad to boot.

I understand the problems a manager faces.

In conclusion, I would keep him this summer, if Cisse comes then there will be five strikers, six if Mellor stays, fighting for two first team places, and possibly two on the bench. Also the competition may sharpen him up.

Now theres a point, a subs bench consisting of Litmenen, Fowler and Anelka was at our disposal in previous seasons, and you could see the possibility of turning a game. Nowerdays, with all due respect Diao, Traore, Henchoz, Pongolle et all, that doesnt strike me as a powerful bench.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:12 pm

Oh Litmanen. I can still don't understand why he left. OK he had some injuries and couldn't play every game but still, he was class.

He wasn't a "ginola type" who fans love because he does skillfull things but a manager notices that he lets the team down defensively (which Ginola did).

Litmanen was the only player I've seen in the last 10 years at Liverpool who could split a defence on a regular basis, easy to see that he went to the same school as Berkamp, who I really admire.

Is it against the rules to admire a Gooner?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:37 pm

Niall, its not against the rules to admire or covet other players, but please stick to the topic.

PLEASE
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redspirit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:13 am

Big Niall wrote:Anyone who thinks we should keep him is mad. he is one of the worst forwards to play for liverpool in the last 40 years.

To say " loves playing for liverpool" is s##t, I would love it too but should I be paid £40k a week to look the cr#p the player I am.

to say "its a confidence problem" is equally daft, he's s##t, therefore has low confidence, therefore plays s##t - see the circle.

I hope he breaks a leg and Liverpool get some insurance money.

I really think he costs us so many points every year by being a coward and not appearing in the box where the action is.

I despise him ( in a red shirt)!

I hope he's gone before O'neill comes (if he does)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:   
I...Agree.
redspirit

Postby redspirit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:16 am

Rimetto wrote:
ckay wrote:I think the lad should stay another season at least. Ciise wont' ( but I hope he is ) be an over night success and we need a proven goal scorer on the bench.

proven goal scorer!!!!!! i hope your not refering to heskey as a proven goal scorer.

Get rid of the waste of space. All he seems to do is complain. The best thing about heskey is his defending and that is sad considering he'd a forward

PROVEN GOAL SCORER  : :laugh:

:laugh:   :p  :D
LMAO
redspirit

Postby Scottbot » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:53 am

Heskeys future will be sorted in the summer as his contract has only one year to run. Either he will be offered an extension or he will be sold to avoid losing him for nothing.

For most of us, Heskey is the most frustrating player in the squad. Brilliant one game, shocking the next. What do ya do? If only he had the mentality of a Hasselbaink. I watched the treble season video before the Arsenal - Chelsea game the other night. I sat there winging at the TV as Heskey plundered 22 GOALS. I'm not sure what has happened. He seemed to spend a lot more time in the box that year + often played on the shoulder of the last defender and showed a lot of compsure in front of goal. Shame he will likely be remembered as a 1 season wonder.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:31 pm

heskey isnt even a striker! most games youll see him wandering around the pitch doing f##k all. Id only keep him if we get Martin O'Neil, he'll give him the kick up the a#se he needs!
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:53 pm

Even at Leicester he was s##t, o'neill would make no difference.

I read today Houllier praising him as he "works hard and defends well", he's supposed to be a forward for f##k sake.

Try him at centre back instead of Biscan.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:04 pm

"working hard" is an attribute any player who dons a red shirt for Liverpool should have. It is not an attribute which gets goals. It is almost as if managers and some fans feel they have to build up certain aspects of a player's game to make up for the one's he was bought for

£11m for a "hard working", "good defensive" forward is about £8m too much. A price tag of £2m-£3m and a transfer to a team like Birmingham is what you expect of a "hard working", "good defensive" forward
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion