Edgar davids - Liverpool?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mistyred » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:17 am

Good morning lads and girls:D .:D :D :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:33 am

more ****** from a ****** paper about a ****** over rated  player.:( :( :( :( :(
fritzylfc

Postby JBG » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:01 pm

Er, can I get back to the Davids' topic?  :D

SS: arguing with them two be pointless!  :D

I've been a major fan of Davids and have followed his career closely.

On his day in the mid to late 1990s I think he was one of the best midfielders in the world.

He had a bad spell 2 years ago at Juventus where he got embroiled in the Dutch doping scandal and also had some serious personal problems off the field.

Last season he staged a bit of a comeback with Barcelona and was one of the major reasons behind their resurgance.

I do not think you can call Davids a "defensive midfielder". He is actually closer to Steven Gerrard than Keane or Vieira in that his first instinct is to attack. Just because he is hard as nails and likes to put his foot in doesn't make him a defensive midfielder. Davids is actually better than Vieira, Keane and Gerrard in some respects as he can take guys on like a winger and whip in crosses from the byline.

If anyone actually bothered to watch Holland's games this summer you will see that Davids had Cocu playing behind him in the holding role.

Davids had an average Euro 2004 but I argue that people should not judge him on the tournament as there were serious problems inside the Dutch camp.

It is true that he is well past his best and he is a big personality which can cause problems with managers, but Davids is still a quality player and a winner, and IMO age has not affected him as much as Roy Keane. I'd prefer a younger man to be signed, but Davids/Gerrard in centre midfield would be a fiercesome partnership for a season or two.

Unfortunately the Davids/Liverpool story came from the Sun and I doubt there is much to it.
Last edited by JBG on Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:12 pm

the scum tends to print dead end stories
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby greenred » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:30 pm

Ive looked around a bit and this story certainly appears to originate from the scum and the Murdoch end of the media.Sky Sports reckon its between us and Spurs.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:03 pm

I do not think you can call Davids a "defensive midfielder". He is actually closer to Steven Gerrard than Keane or Vieira in that his first instinct is to attack. Just because he is hard as nails and likes to put his foot in doesn't make him a defensive midfielder. Davids is actually better than Vieira, Keane and Gerrard in some respects as he can take guys on like a winger and whip in crosses from the byline.

If anyone actually bothered to watch Holland's games this summer you will see that Davids had Cocu playing behind him in the holding role.

Davids had an average Euro 2004 but I argue that people should not judge him on the tournament as there were serious problems inside the Dutch camp.

It is true that he is well past his best and he is a big personality which can cause problems with managers, but Davids is still a quality player and a winner, and IMO age has not affected him as much as Roy Keane. I'd prefer a younger man to be signed, but Davids/Gerrard in centre midfield would be a fiercesome partnership for a season or two.

Unfortunately the Davids/Liverpool story came from the Sun and I doubt there is much to it.

Right firstly.

He is a very good player. But there is better out there. Rosicky and Ballack being amoungst the options. Both are realistic targets and both are superb players. Rosicky would be my prefered choice. However i think Ballack would get more goals.... either one would make me a very happy lad.

Secondly he's not a creative midfielder. He's a work horse, the same as Gerrard.

Like Steven Gerrard he can create has good vision and is a good passer but he's not the best at those attributes. He's no Scholes, Rosicky or Zidane. He's also not going to get you a ****** load of goals either. I personally don't see the point about having a midfield with the same players in. You need options aswell as class. Man Utds midfield was so good because if a team wanted to play it tight Scholes ad the ability to unlock the defense, if a team wanted to get physical Keane would kick lumps out of them, if a team wanted to make you put crosses in Beckham would swing in great crosses and if a team wanted to play an open game they'd have Ryan Giggs running at them.

In out team we haven't got a great crosser and we haven't got someone who can unlock the tightest of defenses. However we have the other two players. We could probably get away with not having a great crosser of the ball, they are hard to find, but we need quality all over the pitch. Rosicky can unlock a tight defence as was shown yesterday on more than one occasion. He can also do his bit defensively as we've seen most noteabley against the dutch.

Davids IS a defensive midfielder. His strengths are much like Gerrards, tackling, work rate, stamina, aggression, determination and athletisism.

We already have a player with those strengths in Gerrard. We need a partner for him with strengths like flair, technique, creativety, vision, intelligence and goalscoring to get the right ballence... surely you can understand that?
115-1073096938

Postby whylongball? » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:09 pm

when you are playing away, u may need to play tight, and i think 2 defensive midfielders would do the job. ED and SG can hold the midfield while the wingers can run down the flanks without having to track back often.
Just my thought
whylongball?

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:54 pm

Ballack for LFC? are you havin a laugh?

He's a good player at best and is not world class. that is definately a step backwards.
84-1083280474

Postby jimmyb » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:54 pm

Edgar davids is a great footballer,with the emphasis being on footballer,he would get up and support the forwards and also get back and defend,the only problem is age,but we all thought the same about gary mac,i for one think it would be a great signing,but i think he,ll go to any london club who will have him
jimmyb

Postby ynwa » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:24 pm

is it true davids and ballack r joining
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:26 pm

Davids on a free ??? I fail to see the problem.
A great addition to the squad. Skill , Experience, Confidence and Fire. Red and Yellow cards ? so what ? Maybe thats what we've been missing. :) :) :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:40 pm

Well said Woof. Davids is the real deal. We need experience and killer instinct, which he offers.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:46 pm

LIke i said earlier, it would be good for lfc . hes probably got a 3/4 good years left in him.
It reminds me of the gary Macalister Scenario. LFC fans liked him,he helped win the Ueafa cup etc, but he was the older side of 35 when we signed him.

If the moneys right we should snap him up. Him and stevie g in midfield, sounds exciting.
84-1083280474

Postby supersub » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:56 pm

Davids on a free can't be sniffed at and Ballack is a class player.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:04 pm

Stu are you a manc.
As everything in you paragraph about good football had Keane Scholes And Giggs in it? Personally i think it would be a good idea to use other examples eh.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion