Dudek - What are poland thinking of?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
H_K_LFC wrote:Artur Boruc....played the whole season for Celtic and has done ok

and the other lad, Zurawski (sp?) or something like that.

Yeh Zurawski,as much as a dont want to admit it,has been brilliant IMO for Celtic.
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed May 24, 2006 6:59 pm

apantly the poland coach has said he never was going to take dudek and the only reason he ever played in friendlys is because rafa would let him go to them because we didnt need him week in week
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed May 24, 2006 7:02 pm

apantly the poland coach has said he never was going to take dudek and the only reason he ever played in friendlys is because rafa would let him go to them because we didnt need him week in week
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby deejay-cgt » Wed May 24, 2006 7:03 pm

soz about that posting twice my comp playing up sorry
CgT

deejay-cgt

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed May 24, 2006 7:12 pm

I think the Poland coach got it spot on. Most International coaches use the same "if you play on a regular basis for your club, then you'll represent your county" policy. For all we know there could of been two or three other Polish goalkeepers who have been getting regular starting line ups for their respective clubs and have been working as hard as they can to make the 23 man squad. Now I'm not saying that Dudek hasn't worked hard because the six games he's played this season he's looked good. But it would be unfair to include him into the squad when he's not been a regular. I know it's not Dudek faults but that just the way it is and unfortunately it's the same with Didi Hamann.

It would be unfair not to include players who have worked hard and been regulars all season for a few well known players who haven't featured much in the season.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Wed May 24, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby xd3vilx » Thu May 25, 2006 2:17 pm

than sven would be unfair to list Theo Walcott in the England squad...how many match he started...None...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:11 pm

No he didn't and I find that decision to over look players like Dean Asthon, Marlon Harewood, Darren Bent and even to some degree Jermain Defoe very, very unfair. Then again I can't say I'm surprised as Sven picks his squad according to what the media wants and he selects the players that are either his favourite players or the ones that are hyped by the media and Theo Walcott has been hyped by the media for a long time, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Theo's included.

I'll even put Sven's decision to risk Theo is so that if the risk pays off and he has a cracking World Cup campaign Sven can say he made him the player he is by giving him the chance to shine on the World's biggest stage, kinda like what he did with Wayne Rooney in 2004.
48-1119859832

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 31, 2006 5:34 pm

Thought the following story made this thread bump-worthy:

Poland 1-2 Colombia: Goalkeeper scores winner
Reuters

CHORZOW, Poland, May 30 (Reuters) - A freak goal from goalkeeper Luis Enrique Martinez helped Colombia to a 2-1 win on Tuesday in Poland's last home friendly before the World Cup.

Polish fans booed their team for much of a poor second half and coach Pawel Janas faced a barrage of abuse from local journalists at a packed post-match news conference.

"It's not yet time to talk about a crisis because we are still at the preparation stage," said Janas.

"This match was not a success and I do feel some concern. There were moments where we did not control the situation on the pitch and we did not carry out the tactics we had set ourselves."

West Bromwich Albion keeper Tomasz Kuszczak's hopes of earning a World Cup starting place nosedived when he allowed Martinez's long punt to bounce over his head into the net in the 63rd minute.

Janas said Celtic keeper Artur Boruc was also at fault for the first Colombia goal by Elkin Murillo, a deflected free kick on 20 minutes which prompted renewed criticism of his decision to omit Liverpool's Jerzy Dudek from his 23-man squad.

"Both goalkeepers allowed goals which could have been avoided," Janas said.

"Dudek also made mistakes and recovered from them. It is still open which keeper will be number one for the finals. Both are in good form."

The Poles had only a handful of chances, mainly shots from distance, with the new pairing of Celtic's Maciej Zurawski and Borussia Dortmund's Ebi Smolarek failing to spark up front.

Winger Ireneusz Jelen strengthened his case for the finals by pulling a goal back for Poland in the last minute.

Janas said: "In particular I was not satisfied with the defence.

"The players lack dynamism and pace but we have another nine days until the finals and we will work on this in Germany."

Poland face hosts Germany, Ecuador and Costa Rica in World Cup Group A next month.

Source: Soccernet
-------------

Jerzy's had his howlers but I'm pretty sure he could keep a goal kick out!  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 31, 2006 6:29 pm

Would love to see that goal. Can't remember the last time I saw a keeper score from a goal kick. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed May 31, 2006 6:47 pm

H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:48 am

my friend has been to Poland often since last May.
He says every other advert has Jerzy's face on it :D
They must be more confused than anyone why he isn't picked over there, he is a national hero for representing their country in the champions league final so well.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:59 am

unbelievable freak goal  :D  didnt pat jennings score once....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 am

didnt pat jennings score once....

Yeah he scored a great goal for Spurs against A.Stepney in Charity Shield against Manu.
account deleted by request

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion